Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Red Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Red Box?

Would anyone have an opinion on The Red Box Smoker by Sweet Swine o Mine? I'm looking for a reasonably priced but very small smoker that I can use on my rather small back porch, and take with me when camping. It was recommended on another website I also follow and has some very good reviews on Amazon. I don't see it in the database here for any reviews or feedback. This unit is pretty small and I need something useful, but small, and doesn't break the bank. Comments greatly appreciated.

This looks like a pretty solid unit. Max Good should be along soon to answer your questions.

BTW - Welcome to The Pit!

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Here is their website: http://www.ssomd.com/red-box-smoker

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the concept and will be testing one soon. It is a mini version of a Backwoods smoker.

• MikeInBaltimore
      MikeInBaltimore commented
      Editing a comment
      Max - thank you for considering a test of this. I mention later but you are correct - it's a Backwoods design, no longer made by them. SSOM bought the design from them and they're making them again. (I mention this here even though redundant just in case you don't follow my humble original post).

Howdy Mike! I'm from Baltimore as well. Currently living in Arbutus.

Comment

I can't advise on this product. But if you are looking for a small, portable smoker I highly recommend the Weber Smokey Mountain 14.5". This little thing can cook and it has a deceptive amount of capacity. I have used it at home and have travelled with it. LOVE this little cooker.

Comment

I checked out the product and it looks like a mini Backwoods Chubby. It looks like a really solid product.
        I recommend analyzing it against the 14.5 WSM and try to determine which provides better value and is better suited to your wants/needs.

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point. I keep forgetting about the 14.5 WSM as I had the 18.5 WSM on my mind for comparison.

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          The 14.5 is a great little cooker.

Check out the Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett. I've read great stuff about it and it's on sale for Mothers Day. It's a pellet smoker with wifi and they have an app so you can control it from wherever you are. A guy on here I believe it was said he did a full packer brisket on his. It's made to be portable. $349 with a stainless top is a no brainer for me. I have to wait until next year to buy one or my wife will throw me out. I'm restricted to one new grill a year and I just got a PK.

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Green Mountain is a solid product.

• CurlingDog
          CurlingDog commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. I've worked on the Dan'l Boone GMG and enjoy it immensely

Hi everyone! - and thanks for all the great feedback

Comment

I wanted to say again how much I appreciate all your comments - esp. since I'm a newbie and still learning. I just called SSOM and spoke to a gentleman there who told me it is in fact a Backwoods design. They stopped making this model, SSOM bought the design and started manufacturing them again. Very good conversation, and the gentleman I spoke with also spoke highly of WSM, gave me pro's and con's to both - so I believe he was being very honest and candid with me. Don - thanks for the feedback to on Green Mountain - but I think I want a charcoal smoker - mostly if I'm camping, with limited sources nearby - almost every 'camp store' in the universe will at least have charcoal - even if they can't refill a propane tank - but the idea of a semi-automated WiFi controllable unit sounds great!

Comment

LOL though - I really am stuck between the WSM 14.5 and this Red Box ... one more question to the group? - how do WSM's do in cold weather? ... and does anyone have any idea ~ how large a brisket one might get in a WSM 14.5?

Comment

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Last summer I cooked a 13 pound brisket (separated the flap and the point) on both racks. Plenty of room. It does fine in cold weather. I just goes through charcoal more quickly. I've used it in single digit temps.

A 14" brisket at it's longest widest point. It'll shrink as it cooks. You can "push" it inwards to get a bit larger brisket in there. If it's out of the wind, a WSM will do fine in cold weather.

Comment

As Miss Candy says they do fine in the cold. The colder it is the more a WSM likes it. Lots of cooks here at sub zero. To be honest its easier to hold temp @ 9° than it is 90°

Comment

Thank you all again - great input ... argh though ... decisions, decisions ...

Comment

Dude get the red box. It's way cool!

Comment

Jon - I may just have to for that very reason ... I don't know why, but something in my gut is telling me to take a chance on this unit. I'm going to think about it some more though. Part of what is selling me on it is the conversation I had with the owner - he just seemed so genuine and honest.

Comment

... and the fact that it's tiny - which I really need something small.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here