Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New pit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New pit question

I have a new backwoods smoker and trying to get used to it. I have always used a stick burner. I did first brisket on it yesterday turned out good but not happy with smoke ring. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

What fuel are you using? How cold is the meat when you place it in the smoker?

Comment

• Circle B BBQ
      Circle B BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Charcoal and wood chunks. Meat was room temp

Cold meat takes on smoke and color better. Read our Smoke Ring article for more tips: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...moke_ring.html

Comment

Like they said. I will put mine in the freezer if I have a few minutes until go time. One good thing about cooking while it is freezing outside, cold meat.

I cook for bark, smoke rings are just for pictures. But you should get stuff like this. Top pic is just unwrapped, bark still firming back up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	147743 Click image for larger version

Name:	pbcbrisket1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	147744

Comment

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Gorgeous!

I hear ya on when it's cold out side. I had some burger patties on the patio table while it was snowing outside. Lit the chimney for the coals to get ready. I went inside, but dog was outside. The paw prints on top of the table gave him away.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Fine Swine, I have 3 S--t Bird Mutts just like that one of Yours! If you didn't Laugh you would Scream!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Circle B BBQ The gist of the link Max sent you- the gases from combustion and the heat itself are racing each other into the meat. The gases will lock that pink color in (smoke ring), as long as the heat doesn't grey the meat first. Therfore, the sooner the gases get in ahead of the heat, the deeper the smoke ring will be. If your meat is already room temp instead of fridge temp (70 vs 35) then the heat has a 35 degree jump on the gases. = less smoke ring.

Comment

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Perfect explanation Huskee ! Explains why my smoke rings have been inconsistent.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Mudkat Thank you. I've experimented with putting my meat in the freezer while I'm lighting the smoker, and placing the meat in the smoker long before it's up to temp (let's say at 100 for instance), to give the gases the jump on the heat. Super cold meat, cooler cooker, gradual rise to normal cooking temp. It works! Experiment!

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        I definately will! Like Jerod Broussard says, smoke rings are for pics but they also seemed to add to the whole experience. I think I might have just ratched my skills up a knotch. Thanks guys!

How open were your vents on the Backwoods? Did you have to choke it down?

If you put in too much lit fuel on an insulated cooker like that, you have to choke down the firebox to keep the temps inline, and that produces less of the good chemicals you want (see Huskee 's post above).

You'll need to practice on your cooker to see how much lit fuel to put in at the beginning, and then have some sort of fuse to keep it cooking for hours.

Comment

How do you all keep the temp from spiking? I have a Backwoods Extended Party, added 1/2 chimney to get it up to temp (14 degrees outside) and had the pit at 225, added meat then added wood chunks scattered around fire box and the temp just continued to jump up into the 260s. My vents are now closed and the temp still continues to climb. I've added water to help settle the temp but it still continues to climb. I'm using Kingsford Original and lump apple wood. Should I be using different charcoal, is my wood (potentially) too dry? Any thoughts, recommendations, best practices, etc would be helpful.

Comment

RobMakowski Kingsford Original burns cooler than most other charcoal that I've used. I recommend using it and getting familiar with it. Also IMO 225 is vastly over-rated. If you are in the 220-290 range your meat should turn out great. That's quite a range. Don't fret about nailing a narrow temperature and don't micromanage your vents. On Friday I cooked a 7 pound pork butt in my 14.5" WSM. I had to manage my vents more than is typical (used Weber briquettes in it for the first time) but still only fiddled 5 times over the course of an 8-hour cook.

Comment

Meat must be cold for a good smoke ring. This brisket was like 38 F when it went in the smoker.Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.87 MB ID:	424954

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you EdF

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              Picture perfect! Bet that was great!

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              showoff

I agree........take the meat out of the fridge right to the smoker. I also get the grill up to temp, or a little bit higher, then put the meat in. That works the best.

Comment

Perfect smoke ring

Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	425250

Comment

The end result.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You need a pic fix RobMakowski !

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here