Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Kat Vault Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Kat Vault Smoker

I posted this in another forum here but I think it should be in this Charcoal Cabinet area. Sorry about that.

I needed a smoker with a smaller footprint for my new patio. I decided to go with a vault although I have generally used and preferred offsets in the past. After a lot of research, I chose a Kat vault smoker from a small shop in Modesto, California. It took a long time to get but I had a lot of special requests, cart, green paint, delivery, valves, wheels, etc.

I could not be happier with this cooker. The welding and craftsmanship are first class. It is dual walled with insulation. You can touch the exterior of the cooker area without burning your hand. The latches fit tight and are adjustable as the gaskets wear. The powder coat paint job is slick, shiny and wonderfully bright. Easy to clean as smokers go.

I now have about 6 cooks under my belt. 12 pounds of charcoal will keep this cooker running for 10+ hours. You could add more charcoal, probably 20lbs, but I haven't tried that yet. The cooker holds temps very well, with little fluctuation. However, because of the very good insulation, if you overshoot your desired temp, it will be very slow in coming back down. I learned that lesson and now I am careful to not get things too hot at the beginning of a cook. I prefer to cook at 225 to 250.

I have added a Billows fan and Smoke X4 controller which work well to keep things steady with minimal fussing with fuel and air adjustments. For smoke, I find that only a few chunks of hardwood will give me all the smoke flavor I need. I like a medium smoke profile that does not bury the meat and rub flavors. To date, I have done brisket, pork shoulder, ribs and chicken wings. In my first cook, I made a mistake and put my meat in before my smoke cleared from a billowy white to a thin blue. Not good. That gave me an ugly creosote flavor. So, I went to school on that session and have not had that problem since then. My smoke flavors are now clean and bright. I was worried about the smoke profile from a vault smoker but I am very pleasantly relieved that the smoke from this cooker is very clean and sweet.

I love this cooker more every time I get to use it. I attach a couple of pictures taken before I put the fan and controller on. The smoker came with two ball valves. One big one for manual control and a small one that takes the fan connection.

This cooker is piece of cooking art that I expect to wear well and pass down to the kids.
    Attached Files

Great looking cooker and more importantly you seem very pleased with it. Sure does look like it's built to last. Continue enjoying.

Comment

Nice looking unit,,,,
      enjoy and post lots of pics,,,

Comment

Cabinet smokers are great aren't they. I love my LSG also. With controller and fan very steady with minimum fuss. You're correct about over shooting the temp, I make sure I turn it down way early to keep it in the 225-240 range.
        I also got a side table and glad I did. Your fire box is higher than mine and that would be easier.

Comment

briano52 what model is it?

Comment

It is the Kat small vault smoker. Small Vault Insulated Smoker – KAT BBQ Smokers

Comment

That's a pretty cooker for sure!

Comment

That thing looks really nice. It reminds me of this one I often admire when I get Titan's promotional emails.

Click image for larger version

Name:	899719_06.jpg?sw=800&sh=800.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1199156

Comment

nice looking cooker. this is the first time hearing of charcoal cooker. learn something new. thanks

Comment

• briano52
                    briano52 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Clawbear
                    Actually, charcoal in cookers, especially in vault styles, is pretty common. When I cooked in my COS, I used both charcoal and sticks. Your comment got me to thinking that I should try sticks in the KAT. The fire box is fairly large. It might well work. I am happy with the smoke flavor I get from charcoal with wood chunks, but in the name of adventure and science, I should try sticks too.
                    Brian

• Clawbear57
                    Clawbear57 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Brian thanks. I realized that after I posted the comment.

"She’s a beaut, Clark!"

Nice smoker!

Comment

that's a fine looking vault cooker. Love the customization.

Comment

Hey Big Mack
                    Thanks for the nice comment. So today I had a Memorial Day BBQ. Did 4 racks of beef ribs and two racks of St. Louis. All came out great. About 4 hours or so at 250 although the temp drifted up close to 275 for the last hour. Not sure why. Did have some wind and I loaded 12lbs of briquettes. I was using the Billows system and the blower was off. I checked. The insulation on the Kat Vault is so good that it is hard to get the temp down when you overshoot your desired temp. I am more careful now in watching my temp.
                    I usually make my own rubs. But today I used Harry Soo's beef rub. Very good, I liked it a lot. Yeah Harry!
                    Last edited by briano52; May 30, 2022, 10:47 PM.

Comment

KAT Vault Update: Hi All,

So, I have been doing a few more cooks on the KAT Vault. The weather has been warmer the last couple of months. I am in the South Bay Area of San Francisco (aka Silicon Valley, I can see the Apple HQ from my front window) so the temps are pretty mild compared to most places. I have discovered how efficient the KAT vault is. It is an insulated cooker but you really don't much insulation most of the year here.

Since the weather got warmer, I have had trouble keeping the temp in the cooker below 250. With each cook, I have been reducing the amount of charcoal. Today it was 87 ambient outdoor temp here in Cupertino. I filled the charcoal drawer less than halfway full. So, I guess about 10lbs of charcoal although I didn't weigh. Drawer will hold 20lbs. I let the charcoal go for 45 minutes to get to clean smoke. Put the meat on at grill level temp of 235.

The intake on the controller is closed down to about a 1/4". If you leave it much more open, even with the fan turned off, it will allow a good amount of air draw and send the temps to 280 or more on a warm day. (Remember, you have to leave the upper vent at least 3/8" open to keep the air flow sufficient that the burn stays clean and you don't get any creosote in your smoke or on your meat.)

The grill temp drifted up to the high 240's over the four hour+ cook. It is now at 245 after 6 hours. Used a SmokeX2 controller set for 235 and I don't think the fan went on much, if any, all day.

I learned that this little vault is super-efficient in holding heat. I need to be super cautious at the early stage of the cook to let the charcoal burn until smoke gets clean but not to give it so much air that the cooker overshoots 250 at the time I add cold meat and fill the water pan. Once the temps gets too high, it is really hard to bring it down in less than an hour.

I am getting great results from this cooker and I love it more every time I take it for a spin. So long as I am patient in not putting on meat until my smoke is burning clean, the flavors I am getting are sweet and clean. I usually don't need more than 2-3 half fist sized chunks of wood over the first 3 hours to get the moderate smoke profile that I favor. Using mostly oak and some fruit woods. I have been getting rave reviews from my non-cooking friends who are amazed that you can have tender and flavorful Q without it being overly smoked and dry. Balance in your life and Q are the best way to go.

Love my KAT!!!

P.S. I love getting questions. Fire away.
                      Last edited by briano52; July 10, 2022, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• STEbbq
                        STEbbq commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don’t have any questions but love the updates . Keep ‘em coming.

I would be interested to see your results with different cuts of meat.

Hey Zero
                      Good point you made. I should report on cooks in addition to ribs. I like to do brisket and pork butt too. I live alone for the most part so when I do a big meat cook, I usually have more meat than guests can eat. So, I vacuum seal a lot of leftovers for myself and gifts. Been working through my saved meats for a few months now.

But I am about to run low on both brisket and pork butt so I will do a cook of big meats soon and report how it goes on the KAT vault. The KAT will probably do 6 briskets at once although I could not eat or give away that many. The vacuum seal is wonderful for keeping smoked meat, and most any food, fresh for an extended period of time.

You can just put the sealed bag in simmering water to reheat to serving temp and not loose moisture. I use my vac seal a lot. I have a nice Weston now. Long story on the Weston but let me know if you are interested in my take on that vac seal machine and I will post on that.

Brian

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here