Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CHEAP CRAP WE DRANK GROWING UP + One funny story to go with it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, let me be the first to ask...no..... let me be the first to DEMAND that Panhead John graduates from "Trial Member" to "Club Member"

Without his posts today, I would of actually had to do my job... Yuck!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats fer ponyin up th legal tender, an gittin involvred, Brother...

If'n ya gits cornered into a Really Tight Spot, where yer havin trouble makin th loan payments, lemme know...
      I reckon passin round th Beloved Cowboy Hat, amongst th existin members, we might jus barely be able to help ya scrape by, fer a bit, at least.
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 8, 2020, 08:49 AM.

Parkin You have not lived (only kidding) until you have had a Tusker Lager with "dusty" ice cubes in Mombassa, Kenya. The dusty part comes from the guy behind the bar takes a hammer to a block of ice that had been pulled out of saw dust pile. Broken pieces of ice are tossed into your glass saw dust and all. That is just wrong in so many ways.

Comment

• tiewunon
      tiewunon commented
      Editing a comment
      Donw it was back in 1980 I was talking about. Ah the Castle forgot about that place. Our ship had its admin there.That Cheng was wise beyond his years.

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Was it the USS Kitty Hawk? She was in port several times on our calls there and I remember getting a tour of her one time while she was in port.

• tiewunon
      tiewunon commented
      Editing a comment
      Donw No was not the Kitty Hawk. I was stashed on a Frigate as an Ensign awaitng Nuke Power school. Only conventional carriers I have been on were the USS Midway (while active and the museum) and the USS Kennedy.

Similar experience. Quart bottles of Budweiser for the boys, a 1/2 pint of blackberry brandy for the girlfriend. She didn't show so I downed the brandy with the beer before going into the CYO dance. Not a good idea. I did make it to the bathroom. Wandered down the railroad tracks for awhile until my friends found me.

Thinking this was 1973. Would also drink my friends Dads Black Label. Boones Farm Strawberry Hill was during this time also.

My poor older brother would buy this crap for us. He finally put his foot down on the quarts and Boones Farm. Moved on to cases of beer.
    Last edited by HawkerXP; August 7, 2020, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• tiewunon
      tiewunon commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP When you said "Black Label" were you talking Carling Black Label? Thought my dad was the only fool keeping them in business.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      tiewunon it's the most popular beer here in RSA I thinks it's because it has the highest alcohol content. It is a South African.

• tiewunon
      tiewunon commented
      Editing a comment
      holehogg Ever have EKU 28? Did a little bit of hand to gut combat with that beer in Genoa Italy. 28% alcohol stuff was brutal had a tough time getting back to the ship. If you know COLREQ's I was red-over-red the whole way back to said ship. Next day wasn't pretty I had the duty.
      Last edited by tiewunon; August 7, 2020, 04:49 PM.

Old Milwaukee Beer. EXTREMELY Bad IMO!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      One of many I recall...:
      LINK

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Not informed as to whether that was Tony Dow, or not, amigo...

If I find out more info, I'll post it here.

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      How did I miss this thread for so long. Yup, Skip that was our cheap beer of choice.

Homemade rhubarb wine stolen from my father..damn it was nasty..

Comment

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      My dad and I used to make wines from local fruits -- piestingle (rhubarb), rose petal, elderberry, etc. Long time ago. Which reminds me, hubby and I have a couple gallons of mead that needs to be decanted and sampled.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Proper made rhubarb wine is a Grand Thing, same as proper made Rhubarb Pie is...

Either one is even better paired up with some French Vanilla ice cream, ime...

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      IowaGirl
      Oh...
      Be still, my heart...
      There's No Place Like Mead...
      Eventually, I'll make me some, but fer now, I cheat, an buy Chaucer's
      Purty dang dang good stuff, btw.

First time I drank more than a sip was a shot of Goldschlager, followed by a random assortment of other alcoholic beverages on a camping trip. Sometime that night I crawled out of my tent, threw up on the ground, then crawled back in. I had to explain the puke puddle to my friends when we all woke up the next morning.
    My favorite drink in college was Jagerbombs. I don't think I'd want to even try one now...

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds vaguely familiar 🥴

• W.A.
      W.A. commented
      Editing a comment
      Had a Jager t shirt with a guy on it lookin about to puke. Lol

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never had a night with Goldschlager involved that did not end poorly. These days I stay away.

Singapore slings. Oh gosh. Haven't had one since college back in the day.

Kathryn

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Go ahead - have one now. After all, you're a doctor...

First real "experience" with drinking was at a wedding when I was 15. Cold Duck was being liberally passed around and, well, all I'll say is that 44 years later there is still a purple stain on the concrete at the Legion Hall. I also thought it was a great idea to swat Barbara L. on the behind which earned me a swat of my own!! I still have her hand-print on the side of my face! Then as a 20-something bachelors my housemate and I decorated our Christmas tree with Keystone and Keystone Light beer cans and topped it with an empty Jim Beam bottle. It really was quite lovely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLVgsv17RKc
    Last edited by CaptainMike; August 7, 2020, 03:47 PM.

Comment

We drank Knickerbockers. Cheapest beer we could get. Worst hangovers ever. It was like $9.00 for a case. The bottles were so old they had grooves worn on them from processing.

Comment

A number of years ago I ran into a friend and ended up having a few beers at a local Bar .
        Old school veteran haunt. Great place ,pickled eggs and all.
        My wife’s grand mother had just passed away @97 and she was a hot ticket to say the least.
        Drank a shot of Old Thompson and a Bud everyday,,,,,for years.
        I see an almost empty bottle of OT on the bar and ask the bartender for a shot( in memory of the old girl)
        He said " ur not old enough to drink that crap" !
        I said " for a memory of a recently departed"
        He said " Must have been at-least 80 "
        said the last person to order a shot died 6 months ago and nobody have asked for a shot since.
        got a shot of OT and the last inch left in the bottle ( plastic by the way ) for zip !!!!!
        Long story ,but was memorable

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Great Memories, Many Thanks fer sharin, Brother!

Some sultry evening between 1980 and 1983 some friends and I got a hold of a bottle of Jack Daniels and Southern Comfort...None of us knew how to drink or what we may or may not like. But we drank...Oh...Lordy....I never was so sick in my entire life. Sadly to this day I cannot tolerate the smell of any kind of whiskey. Not even very expensive Single Malt Scotch.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I can so very totally unnerstand yer revulsion t'wards Brown Likker, an am currently, even as we speak, takin every measure imaginable, along with a steadfast, determined crew of Pit Members, to ensure that they is never an occasion where they's even any Brown Likker available, fer ya to haveta endure...
          It's purty much jus one more Public Service, that I offer at no charge...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 7, 2020, 08:27 PM.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John
          Preciate yer helpin cover my Six, but totally mystified as to what might possibly be wrong with any my spaillin?!?!?!?!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John
          Well, A'ight, then, we jus Roll On.

1968, 1 gal. glass bottle Carlo Rossi Red Mountain, a '56 Studebaker small block with 3-2's hanging out the hood, and an illegal chemical in tablet form.............good times was had! At least I'm told!
        Last edited by ofelles; August 7, 2020, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I think I drove most of you home at one time or another. I'm as close to a teetotaler as you can be without being a teetotaler - the very soul of a designated driver. One beer and I'm done. Anyway, I always drove you home in your own car, never mine. Is Bob here? Bob, remember when I drove you home in your dad's new Ford LTD and you puked and filled the air vent and you tried to blame it on me? Good times. Good times. Too bad your dad saw me up and about at 7:00 AM helping my dad lay block for the addition to our house and you were moaning about your huge headache. It might have worked. Hope you enjoyed your six months of being grounded.
          Last edited by TheQuietOne; August 8, 2020, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• SmokingPat
            SmokingPat commented
            Editing a comment
            I remember going to parties a few times and not drinking. I had a fun time -- and felt great the next morning. 🙂

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey, I'm also a one and done guy, I can only count to one.....

• bardsleyque
            bardsleyque commented
            Editing a comment
            I only have one,after another...

Generally drank beer and Coors Light was the go to. If we were short on cash it was a Falstaff night and feeling wealthy was Michelob. "Whiskey" was Southern Comfort and I cant remember the name of the wine we drank but you definitely had to reach clear down to the bottom shelf at the store for it. I haven't seen the cheap wine mentioned here yet.

TJ Swaan was the wine.
          Last edited by jerrybell; August 7, 2020, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, yeah..thanks...usedta use that to purge my stomach, as well...
            Ah, such grandarse memories...

• ssandy_561
            ssandy_561 commented
            Editing a comment
            I still to this day enjoy myself a double Southern Comfort over ice with a splash of Coke and a squeeze of lime.

I didn't like the taste of beer. I searched far and wide to find the beer with the least taste that I could drink. And the winner was -- Tuborg beer!
          Fast forward too many years, and I drink India Pale Ales, Imperial Stouts, and barrel-aged stouts. But not hard liquor -- I use that in recipes. 👍

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol Tuborg: they had those incredibly appealin commercials, beer of th Vikings, etc. I wanted one so bad it literally hurt.
            Schoolmate of mine, well, his Da owned a tiny Ma/Pa Likker store, so we grabbed our ass an (Very Much) under aged case, an headed out to th th lake...
            Ain't boolshippin yall none, when I tell ya that: young as I was,
            Desperate as I was to git higher than Giraffe poontang, etc...
            we all took some swigs, an threw that crap out into th Grader Ditch....
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 7, 2020, 11:30 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here