Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Historical alcohol consumption in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My drinking and my production of beer as a home brewer declined throughout 2020. I would attribute a good bit of that to the lack of get-togethers, and therefore the lack of need for kegs of beer on tap, as well as to us dealing with Yvonne's cancer. It's hard to have the energy to put 5-6 hours into a brew session when also working 40 hours a week and serving as a full time care-giver for your spouse.

I reached an all time low and ran out of beer totally this spring, and am in the middle of a 3 month schedule of brewing every couple of weeks to fill 10-12 empty kegs out in the garage...

These days I'll have 3-4 pints on a weekend, mostly with dinner on Friday or Saturday night. And when we have a cookout everyone is hanging around the pool drinking a few pints. But that is about it.
    Last edited by jfmorris; July 6, 2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I am thinking about having a drink now... wait, I am at the office. I only drink when I have one in my hand.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to have one of my 2 kegerators IN MY home office. I've worked from home full time since October 2017 (and before that from 1998 to 2008). I finally decided I had to move it to the garage with the other kegerator, as it was too tempting to fill my coffee cup with beer on tap...

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris that would have been too much. In the office??? My willpower is much much too weak

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        klflowers I know, right! I had some bourbon and whisky in nice decanters out here too, displayed on top of an antique filing cabinet with a couple of Jack Daniels souvenir glasses, and I had to move that to the house as well!

Fascinating stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ESMpWxuX0AE4gvl?format=jpg&name=4096x4096.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	1072534

Comment

• Hulagn1971
        Hulagn1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack tell Julian and Mr. Lahey I said hello.

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        TPB is such a great show. Need to start a thread of our favorite TPB lines!

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        Always loved the station wagon.

One thing I like about having a home office for my other job is that I can drink at this office.

The stat about the avg consumption, factoring in abstainers & young children still being an avg of 1.7 bottles/week is astounding. I enjoy my whiskies both neat and in cocktails but ain't nowhere near that weekly average, wife & I combined even.

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I may be carrying you in the average…..

Well yea, life sucked back then. First off most people were poor. There were no dentists so by the time you were 30 (IF you lived that long) all your teeth were green and rotting. Everyone stank like hippies. Oh also between the dysentery and cholera, water would KILL YOU.

But booze? Perfectly safe to drink. And it helped with everything else

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
        One thing I like about having a home office for my other job is that I can drink at this office.

The stat about the avg consumption, factoring in abstainers & young children still being an avg of 1.7 bottles/week is astounding. I enjoy my whiskies both neat and in cocktails but ain't nowhere near that weekly average, wife & I combined even.
        For years I managed to average a couple handles of vodka a week. Throw in some wine here and there and whiskey and bourbon night caps. Cut out the liquor last March and drink beer on occasion but mostly red wine. Not nearly the same volume though lol. Really the only thing I miss sometimes is the brown liquor night cap. Not enough to buy it again though
        There's always tomorrow

Comment

Well yea. In 1800 nobody knew that bacteria existed, and that you should not dump sewage into the lake you drink from. So things like dysentery were a real thing. But to make booze you have to boil water, which kills bacteria. Thus booze was SAFE to drink, but water might kill you. Or at least make you like a bottle rocket with the stick cut off when you sit on a toilet.

Comment

johnny Appleseed wasn’t an environmentalist but an entrepreneur who got a cut from the hard cider made from the apple tree plantings.

Johns Hopkins started all the institutions so named from a ton of whiskey money.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here