Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bourbon Old Fashion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bourbon Old Fashion

I did a search here for Old Fashion and there were no results for my search. What? Are there no pit members who enjoy such a tasty cocktail? This is what I am playing with now:

For a 10 oz drink

6 dashes Angostura aromatic bitters
    1 tsp Light Agave Nectar
    2 smallish Orange wedge
    3 Maraschino cherry
    about 4 oz Club soda
    about 4 oz Bourbon
    Ice

In an Old Fashioned glass add bitters, Agave Nectar, a cherry and a splash of soda.

Twist one of the orange wedges in the glass, rub the peel of the twisted wedge on the rim of the glass, and then drop in the glass.

Muddle the mixture in the glass.

Add the bourbon and fill with ice.

Add remaining club soda.

Garnish with a fresh orange wheel and remaining cherrys.

I have also been playing around Angostura orange bitters.

Original recipe I adapted this from:

I am also aware that a TRUE old fashion has no fruit or soda in it, per http://oldfashioned101.com/, but it seems to be what I currently like. So, while I do not intend to offend the purist, lets try to keep in mind personal taste.

So, do we have any Old Fashion drinkers out there who will share their recipes?

Sounds good

Comment

Not much of a whiskey drinker. Now, if you have any good tequila drinks, let me know.

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
        Sgt Tyree commented
        Editing a comment
        Here's a recipe I swear by. One bottle of 100 pct. agave tequila. One glass. Pour tequila into glass. Sip. Repeat as necessary or prudent. Once this recipe gets out everyone will be using it and we'll have to come up with a catchy name for it.

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        That is one of my preferred recipes.

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        Sgt Tyree got that right!

Love old fashioned. In my opinion better with bourbon than rye, however Canada gets very few bourbons to choose from. I usually just add a hard sugar, bitters and orange. I like cherries in in too, but don't usually add any soda. Some of the flavoured bitters make an interesting change.

Comment

lostclusters, I've Always Known That an Old Fashioned was a Double Shot‼️ I once Watched "Eunice" Nearly Rip the Bar Off the Floor as She Tipped Over❓ I think She Thought She Was Drinking Cherry and Orange Coolaid, Not a Pretty Sight‼️ That Quadruple Concoction of Yours of ❓ I can't Pronounce I think Could Start Wars‼️ Especially Up Here Along the Canadian Line‼️ 🤗😇🤗
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• lostclusters
          lostclusters commented
          Editing a comment
          I like my cocktails bigger, I guess. And I have a sweet tooth (uh, all of them I suppose). Live and let live. Personal taste, remember.
          Last edited by lostclusters; December 9, 2017, 02:32 PM.

I drink a lot of old fashioneds. Posted a few in the "what are you drinking" thread. Lately I've been using rye. I muddle Demerara sugar, bitters, and an orange slice with a splash of water. Then add ice, whiskey of choice, and a cherry (preferably a Luxardo).

I just put a mix in a 2 liter oak barrel to age for a few weeks. I got white rye and added the zest from 5 oranges. After a week, I removed the oranges and added biters and simple syrup (made with Demerara). Now I have to be patient and not drink it! Maybe it can be my New Years drink!

Comment

• lostclusters
          lostclusters commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. I find the Luxardo brand of cherries very strong in flavor not mention expensive ($19 a jar). I do not think I could wait so long. I never heard of aging a beverage that way. I'll have to search the thread you mentioned for your posts.

• lostclusters
          lostclusters commented
          Editing a comment
          The What Are You Drinking Right Now thread is not opening.

Sounds good!

Comment

I usually make it without the bitters, orange, cherries, or sugar...oh, and no club soda...Good bourbon and frozen water only...perfect!

Comment

• lostclusters
            lostclusters commented
            Editing a comment
            I've done that. This has more favor.

I usually use 3ounces of Bourbon, and 4 ice cubes. But If I want something on the sweeter side I will use 3ounces of Old No7, 1.5 ounces Coke Zero.

Comment

• lostclusters
            lostclusters commented
            Editing a comment
            Coke is evil.

An Old Fashioned is probably my favorite cocktail! Been playing around a little bit with recipes at home. My current recipe is:

3 oz Bulleit Small Batch Rye
          1 bar spoon of simple syrup
          and 3 dashes of Angustura Bitters

Into a mixing glass with ice and stir for 30 seconds and then strain into a rocks glass that contains a giant ice cube. Add 2 Luxardo cherries and a twist of orange peel.

Comment

• Beefchop
            Beefchop commented
            Editing a comment
            This is pretty much how I make it.

What swong13 said. That’s pretty much exactly what I do. Sometimes I use a local wheat whiskey which is superb!

Comment

My opinion is you have too much fruit and too much club soda (i.e., any amt of club soda is too much club soda). I prefer rye over bourbon for most cocktails and that is true for an Old Fashioned, as well.

1 tsp sugar (or use a tsp of simple syrup and skip the water)
            a splash of water
            3-4 dashes orange bitters
            3 oz of rye

In a mixing glass, add the sugar, a splash of water and the orange bitters and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Then add a big handful of ice and the rye/bourbon and stir until cold, maybe 20-30 seconds. Then strain into a rocks glass with one big ice cube or 2-3 regular cubes and then express an orange peel over the glass and then drop in.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I remember the intense feeling of disappointment the first and last time I added club soda to an Old Fashioned.

An Old Fashioned to me is a bit different.

sugar cube
            5 - 10 dashed angostura
            2 oz bourbon
            Optional: Garnish with Luxardo cherry.
            Last edited by Attjack; December 11, 2017, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I bartend part time as a fun hobby at a local restaurant. Small place, good atmosphere, great food. Here is our recipe for our old fashion and what we call "Black Rose" old fashion. We make it in bulk and let the flavors marry. We get a lot of people that come in for the Old Fashion. This would be a good recipe for a party. Enjoy!!

Town Old Fashion

3 bottles Buffalo Trace
              12 oz. Simple Syrup
              1.5 oz. Angostura bitters
              1.5 oz. Peychauds bitters
              Peel of one orange and one lemon
              25 oz. Soda
              Serve in a Rocks glass with one large ice cube, garnish with Luxardo cherry.

Black Rose Old Fashion

1 Bottle Jameson Black Barrel
              8 oz. Simple Syrup
              2.5 cap fulls of Rose Water
              16 dashes Orange bitters
              Peel of one orange
              8 oz. Soda
              Serve in a Rocks glass with one large ice cube, garnish with Luxardo cherry.

Comment

• lostclusters
                lostclusters commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, industrial size drinking!

This thread inspired me to have a couple old fashioneds this evening. Rye for me is a must. My mix:

2 oz rye
              1/2 tsp simple syrup
              4 dashes pomander orange bitters
              2 dashes peychouds bitters

served over ice with a Luxardo cherry. I know those are expensive, but they are so darn good!

that’s it...yummy!

Comment

• Zman23
                Zman23 commented
                Editing a comment
                Good cherries get expensive but its hard to not use them once you do. I had a drink with Filthy cherries in Vegas and that changed my cocktail cherry life. Once I had Luxardos, look out. Amarenas are also amazing. Bada Bing are as cheap as I can go. I don't think I will ever use the run of the mill maraschinos again. Ever.

• Psinderson
                Psinderson commented
                Editing a comment
                I never thought a cocktail cherry could be so pivotal, but I miss it if a Luxardo is not in there!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here