Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cocktail Recipe: Monkey Gland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cocktail Recipe: Monkey Gland

Monkey Gland

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=1227857&d=1653773535.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1230050
    • 1½ oz gin
    • 1½ oz fresh orange juice
    • 1 t. grenadine
    • 1 t. simple syrup
    • 1 t. absinthe
    Add the gin, orange juice, grenadine, simple syrup, and absinthe into a shaker. Add ice and shake until well-chilled.

Strain into a cocktail glass.

⭐⭐⭐⭐✖️/5

I used to think I didn't much care for absinthe but when I made this drink recently I really liked it including the absinthe component.

It sounds good, except for "gland" being in the title... I don't know much about absinthe, but I remember reading it's hard to get, maybe even illegal in some places? Is this true or is this an antiquated thing from back in prohibition or something? (Yeah I could Google it but I'd rather ask people I know). Also, what does it taste like?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack that's what I thought I remembered reading, black licorice-ish. Yuck. I'd be willing to give it a try though, it looks and sounds great. I'm not a big rosemary fan but it makes Memphis Dust better, so I totally get it.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee If you try it you might want to get a smaller bottle of it. A lot of recipes with it call for rinsing the glass with absinthe which is pouring some in a glass, swishing it around, and dumping it out. I prefer to put some in a little mister and spray the glass instead because it's less wasteful. I do this with other stuff too like orange bitters, etc.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack I Googled absinthe and the stigma surrounding it. It was illegal in the US until 2007! And, according to what I'd read, outlawing it was scientifically unfounded, an old wives' tale that the wormwood part (just like you said) was a hallucinogen and was believed to have caused a skyrocketing crime rate way back in the late 1800s/early 1900s. It's interesting that it took them until 2007 to recognize the folly of this. 'The killers all wore blue shirts, so blue shirts make you a killer'.

A little weird history on this drink. I had heard Serge Voronoff implanted monkey testicles into the human scrotum to treat impotence.

Monkey Gland: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Monkey Gland is a cocktail of gin, orange juice, grenadine, and absinthe created in the 1920s by Harry MacElhone, owner of Harry's New York Bar in Paris, France.

Some recipes substitute absinthe with pastis or Bénédictine.

It is named after the pseudo-scientific idea that grafting monkey testicle tissue into humans would increase longevity, the idea developed by the Russian doctor Serge Voronoff.

Comment

It might help cure monkey pox

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I've already been inoculating myself.

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        Or cause them

Sometimes I wonder if you might be James Bond, but I don't dare say so out loud for fear I might be disappeared.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        ...or covered in gold.

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc exactly!

I might drink it at home, but I wouldn't order it at a bar. Just can't get those words tripping down my tongue. "Uh, sir, I'd like a ..."

K.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here