Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas BBQ Road Trip! Reviews and Videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of the best BBQ I have ever had was in San Antonio. Texas rules Massholes Drool!

Comment

Outstanding video and food! Love the commentary and music.

Comment

Here is video #2, Terry Black's BBQ in Dallas, TX

Attached Files

Comment

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks again. I am incapable of consuming that volume of food. It looks unbelievable. The bark on the rib, wow.

• wcpreston
        wcpreston commented
        Editing a comment
        For the record, neither were we! The beef rib and much of the rest was donated to the MeatUp later.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahaha, I loved the "taking it easy" comment!

Snow's BBQ: https://youtu.be/46VLuDG6Zg4

Sadly the only pics I have of Snow's are screen caps. But here goes.

Attached Files
      Last edited by wcpreston; June 9, 2021, 09:30 PM. Reason: Added pics

Comment

• au4stree
        au4stree commented
        Editing a comment
        Legend

• VideoWolf88
        VideoWolf88 commented
        Editing a comment
        Watched the Chef’s Table episode with Snow’s. Awesome! Glad you made it there!

"It is...what time is it...it is 3:17." wow. (Also, hi Loren!!)

Also....sad that it was not awesome. That mimics my experience with the County Line in Austin (pre-Aaron Franklin days). Everyone built it up....but....but....it was underwhelming. Not bad, and quite good, but....I had had better.

Comment

I've always found that the gauge for really good tasting food is that it's makes you giggle involuntarily, like Mr Preston has been showing us, good stuff mate

Comment

When this meat up is done, I hope ya'll will write up the itinerary and overall thoughts so the trip can be replicated in the future. I'm retiring in a couple of years and a road trip through Texas is on my bucket list.

Comment

My son and I were the two friends who were actually 166 and 167 in line. We would pretty much agree with wcpreston. We are glad we did it, but maybe as much fun as the food was the conversations with the folks in line in front and behind us - especially those with the two brothers in their forties who were raised as vegetarians. One of my son’s observations in general is that when BBQ joints get to be in the 4.5 - 5.0 category it is difficult to find a differentiator from one place to the next.

Would I do it again? Probably not. Am I glad I did it? Yes. I did find out that they typically run out of food at 2:30 pm, and the last to go is the sausage. When we reached the point of ordering at 11:45 they were out off of chicken. I am not a turkey fan, but I thought the turkey was pretty good. My wife likes it, so I ordered it to have something to shoot for when I try to cook it. I think the ribs were the best offering. They do not remove the membrane, and I discovered that they mopped them. Their ribs were really moist and nicely glazed, so I thought I might try that next time I do ribs.

Here a a few closing thoughts. I have sampled BBQ joints across the south that have been written up in magazines as good or the best, and about 75% have been less than expected with one being downright bad. With Snow’s being rated as number 1 in Texas Monthly expectations run high, but those ratings are based on someone’s subjective opinion. Our tastes are not all alike. My guess right now is that Snow’s will not stay at number 1. No place does. At one point Pecan Lodge was number 1 in Dallas, and when we ate there we would have agreed. Now they are out of the top 10. I believe part of that is is due to subjective opinions and the tendency for folks to chase after the latest hot new thing. I have stumbled on some off the beaten path places with unexpectedly good BBQ. I think that as your own backyard BBQ improves your standards and expectations rise. The old saying is the best BBQ is in someone’s back yard. Many places start out that way, and as quantity increases so does the difficulty of quality control.

My advice would be to keep cooking and keep searching for good BBQ.
            Last edited by LA Pork Butt; June 8, 2021, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• Loren
              Loren commented
              Editing a comment
              Perfectly summed up how I felt about Snow's too. The line was interesting (we had the guy who used to own the property behind us and had been going to Tootsies restaurant since the 70's😱) and definitely part of the experience.
              Last edited by Loren; June 7, 2021, 10:29 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Excellent observation Sonny

• Stuey1515
              Stuey1515 commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree 100% with your observations on how opinions regarding food are generated

Thanks for the reviews. Good stuff!

Comment

Hats off to your wonderful camerawoman.

Comment

Today we went to Killen's BBQ in Pearland, TX. We think the brisket might be the best we had so far.

Attached Files
                Last edited by wcpreston; June 9, 2021, 09:31 PM. Reason: Added pics

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad you got to go wcpreston, Ronnie Killen is one of my favorites in Htown. Hope you get to try more!!

• 58limited
                  58limited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Its been several years since I've been to Killen's but I agree the food is some of the best out there. I especially loved the pork ribs but the smoked pork belly was good too. I had my first dino rib there as well - exquisite. The brisket, even after three days and two reheats, was still top notch.

• Michael_in_TX
                  Michael_in_TX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I live just 20 miles from Killen's but have never been. I should fix that. (Weirdly, I used to live in Pearland in the early 2000s and lived just *two miles* from where Killen's would eventually be.)

Excellent! Looking forward to more!

Comment

Brisket showdown in Lockhart, TX! We try brisket at three different BBQ joints.

Let me describe the pics below. The aluminum tray is from blacks. The one w/the sausage is from Kreuz. It has Sausage, then prime rib, then brisket. The other one has two slices of clod (shoulder) and brisket. That one is from Smitty's.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by wcpreston; June 9, 2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                    LA Pork Butt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I got 1 out of 3 - Kruez. In baseball I might be a candidate for MVP. LOL

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Troutman and I went to Black's and Kreuz's on Sunday. I was underwhelmed by the brisket at Kreuz, it was a bit "pot roasty" and dry, but we got different meat on a different day. Black's was a bit better, but not the best I had on the trip. Both joints had great sausages, in fact Steve bought a case of Black's J/C for home.

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agree with Capt Mike. I've been to Lockhart so many times over the years. It seems to be that recently, maybe because the craft bbq is getting that much better, that these places have completely lost their luster. As he said, they pot roasted (thus overcooked) the brisket. Sausage still very good at both places. Pork ribs at Smitty's were good but next to Brett's they didn't hold a candle (nor mine for that matter). Probably not going back for a while, too many other destination stops in Texas.

This is fun to follow. Thanks for sharing. Great job!

Comment

Cooper's Old Time Pit BBQ (Llano) Yelp/Cooper's. ...
                    The Salt Lick (Driftwood) Yelp/The Salt Lick. ...
                    City Market (Luling) Yelp/Luling. ..

Comment

• gcdmd
                      gcdmd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I haven't been to Cooper's, but I +1 you on The Salt Lick and City Market.

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      City Market used to be good, but again has lost a lot of its luster. Truth BBQ in Brenham (and in the Houston Heights) is much better, imho.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here