Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for Nashville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for Nashville

I am in Nashville for the next week. Today, tomorrow, and Friday will be work, but Friday night my wife will be joining me and we are staying until Tuesday around noon. What are some mus go restaurants (other than Princes Hot Chicken; that is on the list already) keep in mind, we are not keen on the party scene, and being a weekend 2 of the days worries me. Also what are some must do places. The Zoo, Cash museum, and the Jackson Hermitage are already on the list. This will be the first time I have been in Nash-Vegas any for non work related events. Thanks in advance.

We are staying at the Marriott Grand downtown if that makes a difference.

Comment

Peg Leg Porker’s is on my list of places I want to hit while I can still chew meat. Also, being a nerd, I’d visit the state capitol.

Comment

I'm only 2 hours away, but can't help much. Last time I was up there I had hot chicken at Hattie B's (it was in the area I was going) and it was the bomb. I will have to try Prince's next time I am up there. Expect a wait and to drive laps waiting on a parking spot if its anything like Hattie B's.

If you don't mind driving south a bit, a great thing to go visit is the Jack Daniel's distillery down the road an hour or so in Lynchburg TN. And if you decide to go that way, see if you can get a lunch or dinner reservation at Miss Mary Bobo's. It's a must.

Paging klflowers to the discussion as I think he lives up Tennessee way, and may be more helpful...

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on Hattie B's. Prince's may or may not be better, but I wouldn't drive past Hattie B's to get there.

I would add that there are milder versions of their hot chicken available for those who can't handle the heat.
          Last edited by Steve R.; February 10, 2022, 09:12 AM.

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          +2 on Hattie B's. They have a location here in Bham, it's wonderful. Never had a bad meal there. There are a couple "local" copy-cats that are not quite as good. If you have time, they do a "brunch" chicken and waffles which my kids love. Open's at 11am on sundays, at least the Bham location anyways.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I have been on the tasting tour a couple times at JD. Will give Hatti's a try everyone recommends them here too. Its within walking distance from the hotel.

Sounds like fun, don't forget to post reviews with pictures.

Comment

This place is very good. https://monellstn.com/at-the-manor/

Comment

• mgaretz
            mgaretz commented
            Editing a comment
            Second that

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I forgot about Monell's. I went a few times to the former location at the old jailhouse in Franklin when it was still there. Excellent family style meals is what I remember.

I have in-laws in the area, and we really enjoy The Loveless Cafe. Technically in Nashville, but about a 30 minute drive. Worth it, in my opinion.

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Second this. Wife and i went there when we visited. Best biscuits and gravy ive ever had.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Having breakfast there in the morning 0900 sharp. grantgallagher Steve R.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B1239A03-F05A-422E-93C4-E107002A033D.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1172970 Click image for larger version

Name:	A056F87D-00A3-42EA-BF0B-C1DCE975C910.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1172969 I've been to Peg Leg Porker. It was just last May around lunch time. The place was packed. I had a half rack of ribs. Really good. Ribs are dry style. Excellent.
          Last edited by Jfrosty27; February 10, 2022, 11:47 AM.

Comment

When I went to see Black Crowes at the Ryman years ago, we ate dinner at Blackstone Brewery. I remember the food being good and the beer was decent. Not sure if that's your style.

If your sweet tooth needs quenching, I highly recommend Legendairy, went there in 2019, was outstanding. "Death by Chocolate"

Legendairy Milkshake Bar
            Last edited by au4stree; February 10, 2022, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I would say to hit Roteirs Restaurant but they lost their lease and closed last year. opened in 1945 and was still family run but the property sold for $8.1 million and new owner wanted to redevelop (sigh).

Alas, you still have options.

Get a burger at Brown's Diner on Blair Blvd. In fact, get two!

Check out Honky Tonk Highway along lower Broadway and listen to some live music.

Go to the Grand Ole Opry.

Hit up Krystal for a sackful of steamer burgers or a chicken fried Krystal or some sausage and gravy bites.

just a primer to get you started.

Comment

I'm just up I-24 from Nashville, about 35-45 mins from downtown depending on traffic. I'll be honest, I don't go to Nashville much anymore just because of the traffic and crowds. For bbq, Peg Legs is good, but he also just opened up another place called Bringle's Smoking Oasis, and it has a more outside vibe with a more central Texas style bbq. I'll hit that up soon I'm sure.

Martin's BBQ is also a great place, as is Edley's BBQ and Puckett's. All of these are close to the downtown area.

I try to stay off Broadway these days just because of all the "Whoo" girls in town, and the bars and restaurants are tourist traps. If you like live music though, there is a lot of that there.

The Hermitage and the Parthenon are cool. Check to see who is playing at the Ryman this weekend, you can probably get tickets there, which is close to your hotel, as well as the Grand Ole Opry if you enjoy that. Its a drive to the other side of Nashville, but the Opry Mills Mall is there by the Opry, and it has a Bass Pro Shop. The General Jackson Showboat is also right behind Opry Mills on the River. Reservations required.

On Saturday the Predators are playing the Winnipeg Jets at Bridgestone Arena, which is walking distance from your hotel. If you haven't been to a Preds hockey game, it is definitely worth it!

I'm sure there's more, but that is just off the top of my head for now. I can DM you my phone number if you are curious about anything more or need more info.

A fellow Texan in Tennessee,
                Jon

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
                  WillTravelForFood commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1 on the Eater link . Many of the places mentioned in this thread are featured on the Nashville 38 map.

• scottranda
                  scottranda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is funny! The woo girl is probably superficial and high maintenance!

• JonnyB
                  JonnyB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, Nashville is notorious for Bachelorette Parties, and they show up on Broadway riding the Pedal Taverns, getting loaded, and stumbling around drunk. You'll know them as they ride by in a Party Bus screaming "Whoooooooo!"

Thanks. I'll be posting pics assuming I am sober enough to. Eating at kayne prime steakhouse in a bit. Had merchant last night. The duck fat fried tater tots were pretty good, fish tacos nothing to write home about, and the chips were fried in greasethat was too cold, and lacked salt.

Comment

Kayne was pretty good. They had Eagle Rare so thats a plus, no Elmer T though. The salmon cucumber cream cheese appetizer was blah, however the pork belly and cotton candy and the tuna tartar were great. The kale salad with currants, and parm was outstanding...there I said it, and yes it hurt. The fancy mashed potatoes were excellent, as were the cream Brule corn. The broccoli side not good. I got a 10 oz waygu fillet black and blue. Not bad at all! The key lime pie though....ate one bite. All in all a pleasurable experience. Other than the pie, nothing was bad. The real gem was the tuna and the pork belly though!
                  Last edited by texastweeter; February 11, 2022, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Just had Princes Fried chicken. Got the HOT level. PRAISE JESUS AND PASS THE AMMUNITION it was good! I should have gotten the X Hot or the XX Hot, but when she said "are you sure, our hot is like most peoples XX hot?" I started doubting myself. Wife had the Lite Mild, and said it was the best chicken she had ever had.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Had the farmhouse for dinner. Pimento cheese beignets we fantabulous. Charcuterie board was good too. My wife's ribeye left a lot to be desired, but mashed taters were good. My porkchop, gnocchi and chorizo cabbage was excellent! 2nd only to the one a the Vinegar Hill House in NY. Highly reccomend.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here