Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to Charleston, SC in two weeks. Suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to Charleston, SC in two weeks. Suggestions...

On where to eat and what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

https://huskrestaurant.com if you can get a table with only 2 weeks notice

Comment

Went about 5 years ago for a long weekend here's the list of places - we enjoyed and recommend everything on this list. Granted its 5 years in the future so things may have changed

fine dining - Husk & FIG
        BBQ - Lewis BBQ, Rodney Scotts was not open yet
        Xio Bao Biscuit - Asian inspired get the okonomiyaki
        Hominy Grill - shrimp n grits, she crab soup

We made dinner reservations late so we'd walk to the restaurant and stop in random bars/restaurants and get different cocktails/bites before dinner

As for sights we went to the aquarium, USS Yorktown - my grandfather flew hellcats off of it in the pacific you can see his picture and name in the ready room (Harold "Red" Wangberg) and whatever fort was around there I cannot remember the name

Comment

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          My Uncle flew hellcats off of a carrier during the pacific war too. Flew over Tokyo. Don't know the carrier. He also flew Corsairs.

Highly recommend Lewis BBQ, top notch brisket. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-charleston-sc

Comment

I toured the Yorktown way back in the mid 80’s. Very cool if you’re interested in that kind of stuff. I had the good fortune of walking behind a family whose patriarch, who was with them, had served on the ship in WWII. I was alone and asked if I could follow closely and listen in. Fascinating. The stories he told were incredible.

Comment

Charleston is a place we've talked about going to many time, we've never made it over that way. Still on our list. I'll be interested to hear your report - it's supposed to have a pretty vibrant food scene.

Comment

• TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              will do.

Went to Charleston a few years ago and really enjoyed Hanks seafood. Down town ,great food and service
            For lunch We had a good time at the Amen St. seafood and bar.

Comment

Where to start... so many options. We still occasionally stumble across places we never knew were here.

Its easy to pick some really good popular spots, and I don't know what kinds of places you're really looking for, but here are a few of our current, lesser known favorites:

Chubby Fish
              Le Farfalle
              167 Raw
              Little Jack's Tavern (the little burgers really are good...
              https://charlestoncitypaper.com/litt...y-bon-appetit/)
              And to satisfy the typical lowcountry seafood craving, ACME Lowcountry Kitchen on the Isle of Palms

Now I want to go out for dinner!

Comment

Tip for Husk and FIG - if you can't get a reservation, just show up and try to get your name on the waitlist. I think at Husk you can even put your name on the list for walk-ups and then come back later. For FIG, try and sit at the bar. FIG is way better than Husk IMO. Zero George is also really good for fine dining if you're interested.

We didn't want to deal with the lines at 167 raw, which are ridiculous, so we went to Delaney Oyster house and had a really good experience.

The Q recommendations you got are good. People also like Edmunds Oast if you're a beer drinker. If you drink, make sure to check out the Gin Joint. Great bar

Comment

Highly recommend The Oak Steakhouse. Not cheap but it is incredible. https://www.oaksteakhouserestaurant....se-charleston/

Comment

I recommend taking the boat cruise to Fort Sumter for an afternoon of history. For food, Rodney Scott's was okay on my last visit. We had lunch there. I will go again next time too, just because of his dedication to the craft. On the South side of town is Bessinger's Bar-B-Q. Not as highly rated as some but we had a really solid meal there. I missed Lewis BBQ when I was there but will go next time because of the recommendations.

Comment

Charleston.... that's where the Cooper and Ashley rivers meet and form the Atlantic Ocean!

Comment

www.WalkingCharleston.com. Great walking tour of downtown Charleston.

Comment

I am really curious to hear how your trip goes, as I've never been to Charleston myself. I've got a 1st cousin who is the general manager of a restaurant there, called Tavern & Table:

Come enjoy southern hospitality at Tavern & Table, a Shem Creek restaurant featuring small plates and hearty meals by Executive Chef Katie Lorenzen-Smith.

But that is about my only connection to Charleston...

Comment

• WayneT
                            WayneT commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Glad to hear someone else has been to T&T in Mt. Pleasant. I think it’s way underrated. Had my son’s wedding reception there many years ago.

• jfmorris
                            jfmorris commented
                            Editing a comment
                            WayneT I've not been there, but my cousin runs the place, and she is always posting Facebook pictures that make it look like she is always having fun and partying it up! . My parents have been there and said it was good.

• TripleB
                            TripleB commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Will do

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here