Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me what to eat in each of these countries in the next two weeks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me what to eat in each of these countries in the next two weeks!

Great Britain - London, specifically. No, not trying spotted d!ck, and no fish & chips. Mostly going to be doing street foods, I think, as we tour the typical London landmarks.

Paris, France - Croissants, various sweet things and brasserie on-the-go type foods, also a whirlwind tour of landmarks. I doubt I'll be able to afford or have time for true French restaurants.

Munich, Germany - Definitely have my eyes on some pork knuckle and lots and lots of sausages and schnitzel. Andy's is the place to go for schnitzel, I believe, mostly confirmed by STEbbq.

Zurich, Switzerland - Oh man, this place is going to be expensive. Saw a sausage/bratwurst place online I have to try, I can't remember it, but the cost of dining out in a restaurant is ridiculous. I think a Big Mac is like US$18, typical Starbucks is like US$15.

Barcelona, Spain - 4 nights here, I'll have the most chances to try the local tapas. Definitely going to be looking for some longaniza sausage and some jamon iberico. Probably look to try some paella or fideua.

A good wood fired or brick oven pizza is always on the list, anytime, anywhere. Except maybe Germany, I don't think I can make myself eat pizza with all those sausage types to try.

Almost inside the 48h mark until departure!

Clint Cantwell was recently in Barcelona I believe (Spain, anyway) he might be able to offer a tip. Also, folks rave about "schweinebraten" in Germany, https://amazingribs.com/schweinebraten-recipe/ if there's a place known for that it may be worth visiting.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      Great tips! I will try to check that out for sure!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      DogFaced PonySoldier Looks like Ratskellar (the place linked to in the recipe) is in Munich. You are hereby tasked with visiting it and reporting back!

• WillTravelForFood
      WillTravelForFood commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee - ate at Ratskellar in Munich. Didn't impress us much, but maybe we ordered poorly. ( that location is also sort of touristy)

Apart from the name not sounding appetizing the Spotted dick is simply a bread like pudding containing currants and served with a custard type sauce. Really quite good. I would try as many types of bacon as you can they have some great types. I really liked the bacon that came with the side and back bacon in one piece whether plain, smoked or double smoked.

they have a ton of different savoury pies you may enjoy, be careful some are served cold and some hot, I found the cold ones a bit much for me due to the fat content. Steak and Kidney though was a real treat.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      Editing a comment
      I've had steak & kidney, I'll pass on that. Don't like the flavor of kidney. Cold savory meat pies doesn't sound too up my alley, either. But good points.

German street food:
    Frikadeller -- You can buy these at street stands, kind of a meat-loaf-ish sandwich
    Gyros / Donner Kebabs -- they are heavily influenced by Turkish immigrants, unique, and delicious.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      Editing a comment
      Love me some doner kebap - I've had those many times in Austria.

I didn't find Zurich to be expensive for street vendor food. If you go take the street car down to the lake you will find vendors selling great sausages and ice cold beer.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      Editing a comment
      That is EXTREMELY encouraging to me! Thanks!

I've been worried about Zurich - $30-50 entrees at restaurants seems to be the norm.

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      DogFaced PonySoldier It has been about 3yrs and no doubt the exchange rate has changed, but for some really good food and a local beer was 6-7 Euros. No doubt sit down restaurants are really expensive, but city mass transport was clean/cheap and easy to navigate. We were only there for 2 nights and didn't try any of the restaurants, but you should mostly expect German type sausages or beers.

Originally posted by DogFaced PonySoldier View Post
    Great Britain - London, specifically. No, not trying spotted d!ck, and no fish & chips. Mostly going to be doing street foods, I think, as we tour the typical London landmarks.

>> Street food in London? Instead I'd suggest pub grub (like Shepard's pie, etc.)

Paris, France - Croissants, various sweet things and brasserie on-the-go type foods, also a whirlwind tour of landmarks. I doubt I'll be able to afford or have time for true French restaurants.

>> It doesn't have to be a fancy, expensive place to be "true French". In my experience, eating in France (esp. Paris) is almost too easy.

Munich, Germany - Definitely have my eyes on some pork knuckle and lots and lots of sausages and schnitzel. Andy's is the place to go for schnitzel, I believe, mostly confirmed by STEbbq.

>> Haven't been there ...

Zurich, Switzerland - Oh man, this place is going to be expensive. Saw a sausage/bratwurst place online I have to try, I can't remember it, but the cost of dining out in a restaurant is ridiculous. I think a Big Mac is like US$18, typical Starbucks is like US$15.

>> Find yourself a fondue joint and enjoy.

Barcelona, Spain - 4 nights here, I'll have the most chances to try the local tapas. Definitely going to be looking for some longaniza sausage and some jamon iberico. Probably look to try some paella or fideua.

>> Tapas, for sure.

A good wood fired or brick oven pizza is always on the list, anytime, anywhere. Except maybe Germany, I don't think I can make myself eat pizza with all those sausage types to try.

Almost inside the 48h mark until departure!

Bottom line: The WORST (and most expensive) thing you can do in any of those places is try to eat like you're still in the US (you mentioned MacDonalds and Starbucks). Just. Don't.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      Editing a comment
      God, no, I wouldn't. I just used those as some examples I have seen around the web.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Stole my thunder.🕶

LONDON:
    • WESTERNS LAUNDRY: a bit off the beaten path (it's in a suburb), but this place has been getting raves for years. Probably need to get reservations now while you can. We thought this place was FANTASTIC and a bit different, menu-wise. The squiid-ink pasta was terrific
    • EMILIA'S CRAFTED PASTA: a tiny fresh-pasta counter a few steps away from Tower Bridge (on the Tower of London side of the river, off in the pier area). Absolutely delightful -- so nice, we ate there two nights in a row.
    • BOROUGH MARKET: more than a food hall, has lots of stalls/stands to get almost anything. Worth a visit
    • HARROD'S : go to mock the high prices for a Green Egg (seriously?!?!) and other merchandise, but stay for the food court on the first floor/basement area
    • Lots of great places to try in the Covent Garden area and Carnaby Street area
    • KILN was a place we really enjoyed. Restaurant music provided by the turntable at the bar (retro!) but the food was terrific
    • Pro Tip: get THE LONDON PASS ahead of time, you'll save some time and money visiting museums. Definitely worth the effort.
    MUNICH:
    • If you have time to relax, check out the chinese beer garden in the park. It's no different from other beer gardens, but it's near a pagoda.
    ZURICH:
    • Zurich IS expensive, especially for meat. In between the lake and Old Town is a very casual bratwurst beer garden patio space called BAUSCHANZLI. You can get a decent beer and a brat for about $15 swiss franc (no euros here!). Definitely a better deal than some of the true sit-down restaurants there. Be warned -- the restroom is not free, but they do have tokens you can grab at the bar after you buy something.
    • While you're there in Old Town, take a short walk to visit the FIFA MUSEUM. If soccer is your thing, of course.
    • We enjoyed eating at TOSCANO in the tech-center area (just off the Number 4 train). Order the seafood pasta
    Last edited by WillTravelForFood; June 29, 2022, 01:04 PM.

Comment

We found the sidewalk cafes in Paris to be inexpensive and very good. Try a croque madame, for example. Or any street stand making fresh crepes.

Comment

London has great food, but if you want to try something that is is best for, do Indian food. Best in the world in London, bar none.

For Munich, white sausage from a street vendor, but get it from the fire, not the water (fire, nicht wasser bitter). A little mustard (semph I think? My German is terrible now) on a white roll - and a local beer. I have done it every time I go because my dad was stationed there in the 60s. Just as good now as then.

In Switzerland, just give them your money to hold in a bank account. You won't see it again, but you can't afford the food there anyway!

Comment

You are right that Zurich is expensive but great places abound. If you haven't had too much of it in Munich, I've had a number of good schnitzel in Zurich. They especially seem to love their schnitzel cordon bleu there. I'm partial to a place called Rheinfelder Bierhalle which has a jumbo jumbo cordon bleu which is just enormous. That and a few liters of beer make a great dinner and not too badly priced. I've also found great schnitzel and brats at random bars throughout the city.

Also, in Old Town is Restaurant AuGust which has great salami and other meat dishes.

Zurich also has great Italian food. Casa Ferlin and Cantinetta Antinori are the two I remember most.

For something different the White Elephant in the Marriott Zurich is great thai food but it is pretty expensive, even for Zurich it still stood out for being vastly more expensive that I expected (i vaguely recall around CHF 45 for a delicious thai green curry). A nice change from the rest of the food but likely not worth the cost if you ask me

I'm also heading to Paris in a few weeks and one of the items I'm most looking forward to eating is a jamon-beurre sandwich. Literally as simple as ham and butter on a baguette. Not sure what/where else I"m eating but a large amount of jamon-beurres are on the list.

Comment

Macarons!!!!!

Comment

I have only been to Germany and Spain, and there were so many beer gardens in Germany that I don't remember the food even though I'm sure I ate something.

I was in Barcelona several times in the early '70s while in the Navy and we always ate at Los Caracoles. It was the first time I had paella, and I thought it was great. The restaurant had been there for many years at that time, and it's still there:

There was a barker outside enticing peop0le to go in and he was roasting chickens on vertical spits. I must have been sober those nights...

Comment

You will find iberico everywhere in barcelona. My wife was just in madrid and these are some pics from one of the big indoor markets. Im sure you can find something similar in barcelona. Ive never been there despite being many other places in spain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0752.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1244654

Name:	IMG-0754.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1244655

Name:	IMG-0753.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1244656

Name:	IMG-0751.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	1244657

Name:	IMG-0750.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	1244658

Comment

I tried to edit the post about Los Caracoles, but no joy.

First, it's been there since 1835.
                Second, it's off the Ramblas.
                Third, sadly I see that it's closed for vacation until 7/10.
                Last edited by RonB; June 29, 2022, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                  Editing a comment
                  7/10 there is October 7th? If you meant July 10th, that's cool because we'll be there from the 10th to the 14th! lololol

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Last time I looked, I found myself in the USA. So 7/10 means July 10th.

Wow, some really great suggestions here! I don't have a lot of time in each city, except Barcelona. Essentially 1 full day and an evening and morning in each of the others, except Munich. We have a total of about 36 hours in Munich.

Really encouraged to try some of this stuff, but we'll be limited by time and distance for a lot of them.

Thanks for the tips, though! Definitely excited to try out some of this stuff... my stomach is already grumbling, but I have to say I am MOST looking forward to the German sausages and then the Spanish tapas.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here