Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Big Bob Gibson's and Moe's in Decatur and Huntsville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mgaretz
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • San Ramon, CA
    • Mark Garetz
      Rec Tec pellet grill
      Weber Genesis Gasser
      Maverick ET-732 and Thermapen and others

Big Bob Gibson's and Moe's in Decatur and Huntsville

I was working at a place that was literally 50 yards from Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur AL last week. I went for lunch. I ordered the pulled pork and my sides were cole slaw and baked beans. It also came with rolls. I had high hopes.

The rolls were the best part. The pork was tasteless and watery. It had some bark so you could tell it was smoked at some point, but it seemed like it suffered from being held too long in steam, most likely. It had no smoke flavor. The red sauce was uninspiring. The baked beans were OK, looked like Heinz beans with some jalapeno and they were less than warm. The cole slaw was totally disgusting. It was as if they had taken cabbage and ground it to a pulp with some vinegar. I mean the pieces of cabbage were the size of ground pepper. I also tried some of the famous white sauce. Meh. A vinegar-heavy mayo with some black pepper. Not my thing.

A few nights later I ate at Moe's. I know it's chain but it was right across from the hotel and I didn't feel like driving anymore. Had the ribs and baked beans and cole slaw. The ribs tasted like they were made in a crock pot. Completely flavorless except for the sauce, which was Ok and better than Gibson's. The cole slaw was also vinegar-based but at least there were discernible pieces of cabbage in it. It was edible. The beans were much like Gibson's also just warm. $16 and served in a paper fries tub with plastic utensils.

I wouldn't go back to either place.
  • EdF
    EdF
    Club Member
    • Jul 2016
    • Atlantic Highlands, NJ
    • Uuni Pro (new kid in town)
      Karubeque C-60
      Large BGE since 2002 + plate setter + pizza stone + upper grid + stainless paella pan for drippings (the best!)
      TEC Cherokee FR since 2014 (portable infrared grill - does a mighty sear)
      Polyscience Sous Vide Pro since 2012 (wasn't much else available in those days)
      Thermapen
      Thermapen Air
      ThermaQ (or its predecessor)
      Thermoworks Hi temp IR
      BBQ Dragon & Chimney of Insanity
      Various other stuff

Thanks for the warning - will keep in mind next time I'm in Huntsville.

Comment

• jgreen
      Charter Member
      • Oct 2014
      • Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
      • Cookers:
        Broil King XL
        Broil King Smoke
        Weber Kettle 26
        Grilla Pellet smoker
        Capital 40 natural gas
        Napoleon Pro 22 kettle

Thermometer:
        Maverick 733
        Thermapen (ok..4 thermapens)
        Thermo works DOT (or two)
        Fireboard (probably my favourite)
        Thermworks Smoke (or two)

Accessories:
        SnS (original, plus and XL)
        DnG pans, 6 or 7 of these
        Vortex
        Grillgrates
        and, maybe some other toys as well

What a disappointment. Sucks when you were hoping for some at least reasonable BBQ.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        Club Member
        • Jan 2016
        • Jersey City, NJ
        • Primo Oval XL Ceramic Cooker
          Pit Barrel Cooker
          2x Mavrick 732
          Therma Pen Orange
          Favorite Bourbon Blanton's
          SF Giants

MCS wish list - Lone Star Grillz off set

Wow. What a bummer.

Comment

• FireMan
          Charter Member
          • Jul 2015
          • Bottom of Winnebago

Double wow! I wonder what Chris will say about this when he hears of it.

Comment

• Nate
            Former Member
            • Apr 2015
            • Quarantined

Dang... was seriously considering road tripping to Big Bob Gibsons for my birthday in January... not sure it would be worth the 6 hour drive now or not.... Went to 17th st last year and got to meet Mike Mills... that was a good birthday trip.

Comment

• Steve R.
              Club Member
              • Jul 2016
              • Elizabethtown, KY
              • Current line-up of cookers: Weber 26" kettle w/ SnS and BBQ Guru adapter; Weber Ranch Kettle w/ Guru adapter.

I can only comment on Big Bob's, since I haven't been to Moe's. I kind of agree about the slaw, not a fan of the minced style. I don't recall not liking the beans. But I also don't judge a BBQ joint by the sides, so take that for what it's worth. As for the meat, that wasn't my experience at all when I was there in June. And I got there about 30 minutes before closing time on a Saturday night. Definitely the best restaurant pulled pork I have had.
              Last edited by Steve R.; December 11, 2017, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• Skelly
                Club Member
                • Jul 2016
                • Tuscaloosa, AL

I'm from Alabama and have eaten at Big Bob's one time. It was pretty good, but nothing amazing. I got the smoked chicken with the white sauce. Moe's is a joke in my opinion. I ate at the original in B'ham and thought "this is pretty good stuff", but then they branched out and it's been downhill ever since.

I'm an original only guy it seems, because I love the original Archibald's and original Dreamland (but only those 2) in Tuscaloosa. Not even the Dreamland a few miles down the road in Northport (which most people just call Tuscaloosa because it's basically a suburb). To illustrate, the "Archibald's and Woodrow's" that branches off of Archibalds...I order wings when I go there. They're quite good, but you shouldn't be going to a pork "guru" for the wings.

My favorite restaurant Q in Alabama is Saw's. If you find yourself in Birmingham, go there. And please don't encourage them to expand.

Comment

• DWCowles
                  Founding Member
                  • Jul 2014
                  • Smiths Grove, Ky
                  • Hi, my name is Darrell. I'm an OTR truck driver for over 25 years. During my off time I love doing backyard cooks. I have a 48" Lang Deluxe smoker, Rec-Tec pellet smoker,1 Weber Genesis 330, 1 Weber Performer (blue), 2 Weber kettles (1 black and 1 Copper), 1 26" Weber kettle, a WSM, 8 Maverick Redi Chek thermometers, a PartyQ, 2 SnS, Grill Grates, Cast Iron grates, 1 ThermoPop (orange) and 2 ThermoPens (pink and orange) and planning on adding more cooking accessories. Now I have an Anova sous vide, the Dragon blower and 2 Chef alarms from Thermoworks.

Different folks, different taste. I will still check out Big Bob Gibson’s this Summer when we go to pickup my new smoker. I’m not a big fan of coleslaw anyway. I want to check out their chicken with the white sauce.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    New smoker? Do tell........

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thought you knew Spinaker about the Shirley 30x60 cabinet model on trailer with insulated firebox. It’s like the one on their website.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh yes, I do remember now. I will be curious to hear what you think of that insulated box. That is what i am planning for my offset, as well. DWCowles
                • Willy
                  Charter Member
                  • Apr 2015
                  • High Desert of the Great Southwest

I used to visit Huntsville on business a lot. Made it once to Gibson's--nothing special. I think there is a BIG difference between being a top cook on the Q circuit and providing excellent food in a restaurant on a daily basis. For that matter, I didn't ever find a Q place in Huntsville that was any better than so-so. OTOH, there is (was?) a tiny little shack just past the river on the east side of the highway (south end of town) that served pretty tasty Southern/Cajun foods (not Q) for not much money. Across the highway was a meat and three that looked like two trailers had T-boned each other. It was decent, too. Then, there was Bubba's Sushi Joint--long since deceased, but quite good. I was always a fan of Bonefish Grill-despite it being a chain.

Try the Greenbriar Restaurant--the one well north of the E-W freeway, not the one right on the freeway. I'm not so sure that food is that special, but it has (had?)...character, plus free hushpuppies.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sadly the Cajun Cafe just south of the river has gone out of business.
                • Huskee
                  Pit Boss
                  • May 2014
                  • central MI, USA
                  • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Want a free bottle of whiskey? Check out my link to Flaviar.com, you join with it, we both get a $50 bottle free.

Smokers / Grills
                    • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
                    • PBC
                    • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
                    • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
                    • Dyna-Glo XL Premium dual chamber charcoal grill
                    • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
                    • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
                    • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
                    • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
                    • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
                    • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
                    • (7) Maverick ET-732s
                    • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
                    • (1) Smoke by ThermoWorks
                    • (1) Signals by ThermoWorks
                    • Thermapen MkII, orange
                    • ThermoPop, yellow
                    • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
                    • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
                    • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
                    • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
                    • Instant Pot 6qt
                    • Anova Bluetooth SV
                    • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
                    • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
                    • BBQ Dragon
                    • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
                    • Weber grill topper
                    • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
                    • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
                    • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
                    • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
                    • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
                    • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
                    • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
                    • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
                    • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
                    • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
                    Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

Wow, good to know. We have a famous doughnut shop here in my town that also has a diner next door and they offer "smoked meats". Their pulled pork is exactly how you describe mgaretz, watery, zero smoke flavor, and tastes steamed or oven-cooked at best So disappointing. Almost made me mad that they call it smoked, felt like picketing out front, lol.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    Club Member
                    • Nov 2017
                    • Huntsville, Alabama
                    • Jim Morris

Cookers
                      • Camp Chef FTG900 Flat Top Grill (2020)
                      • Weber Genesis II E-410 w/ GrillGrates (2019)
                      • Weber Performer Deluxe 22.5" w/ GrillGrates & Slow 'N Sear & Drip ‘N Griddle & Party Q (2007)
                      • Custom Built Offset Smoker (304SS, 22"x34" grate, circa 1985)
                      • King Kooker 94/90TKD 105K/60K dual burner patio stove
                      • Lodge L8D03 5 quart dutch oven
                      • Lodge L10SK3 12" skillet
                      • Anova
                      Thermometers
                      • Thermoworks Smoke w/ Wifi Gateway
                      • Thermoworks Dot
                      • Thermoworks Thermapen Classic
                      • Thermoworks RT600C
                      Beverages
                      • Whatever I brewed and have on tap!

Big Bob’s is famous for inventing that white sauce, which is really for their chicken. Their pork is nothing special. I’ve got a Moe’s BBQ about 1/4 mike from my house in Huntsville, and their BBQ is ok, but I would rather eat my own. It’s a chain, and I would probably prefer Dreamland in Tuscaloosa over Moe’s for pulled pork. Usually when I eat at Moe’s it’s because we are going out to meet people and that is the place they want to meet. I order their smoked wings, which are smoked and then flash fried to crisp them up, and tossed in a mildly spicy sauce. They are really good, but that’s about all I eat there.

Comment

• Willy
                      Willy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Is the Dreamland in Huntsville gone?

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No. The Dreamland is still here in Huntsville, out on University Drive. The only thing to ever disappoint me there was their ribs, and maybe it was a bad day for them or something. It is cool to watch the guy cooking on the large open masonry fire pit. Something I like about seeing a real wood fire, and someone wrestling with dozens of slabs of ribs and butts using 6 foot long utensils.

• MattSayar
                      MattSayar commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I still get those wings from Moe's every time I'm in town (annually). Some of the best I've had, but there's a tiny place in DC called Due South that actually does them better with the same technique. I've nearly replicated it at home, but it's so, so much easier to just toss them on the grill for 90% of the same result
                  • Ray
                    Ray
                    Charter Member
                    • Sep 2014
                    • Central IN
                    • ​Green Mountain Davy Crockett pellet grill/smoker
                      Weber Summit Gas grill
                      Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker
                      Maverick ET-733
                      Thermapen
                      ThemoPop thermometer
                      Favorite beer: Fuller's ESB
                      Favorite cheap beer: Old Chub or Robert the Bruce if they are ever on sale.
                      Favorite wine: Cabernet Savignon, some Super Tuscans

jfmorris I've been to the Dreamland restaurant in Tuscaloosa and really enjoyed it. We had ribs and some sides; ribs just seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked over an open pit burning oak logs. Loved it, had a chance to chat with the pitmaster and took a pic with him (haha). Great experience!

Comment

• DWCowles
                      Founding Member
                      • Jul 2014
                      • Smiths Grove, Ky
                      • Hi, my name is Darrell. I'm an OTR truck driver for over 25 years. During my off time I love doing backyard cooks. I have a 48" Lang Deluxe smoker, Rec-Tec pellet smoker,1 Weber Genesis 330, 1 Weber Performer (blue), 2 Weber kettles (1 black and 1 Copper), 1 26" Weber kettle, a WSM, 8 Maverick Redi Chek thermometers, a PartyQ, 2 SnS, Grill Grates, Cast Iron grates, 1 ThermoPop (orange) and 2 ThermoPens (pink and orange) and planning on adding more cooking accessories. Now I have an Anova sous vide, the Dragon blower and 2 Chef alarms from Thermoworks.

I’m definitely going to pay a visit to Dreamland.

Comment

• Skelly
                        Skelly commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Only the original. Please. Hell, I'll meet you there and buy you a rack if you'll just eat the original.

• DWCowles
                        DWCowles commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It will be next Summer before I get to Alabama but I’m going to the original Dreamland BBQ restaurant.

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good to hear it. You will be there to pick up your smoker anyway. I prefer this to Big Bob’s chicken, but if on a bbq pilgrimage get your ribs at Dreamland in Tuscaloosa, and some chicken with white sauce when going through Decatur.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
                    Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                    See more
                    See less
                    Working...
                    X
                    Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
                    Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
                    This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Placeholder

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

Placeholder

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

Placeholder

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Placeholder

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Placeholder

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

Placeholder

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Placeholder

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                    Stylish and Affordable
                    Gaucho Grill

Placeholder

Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335 
                    A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Placeholder

Weber’s Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

Placeholder

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

Placeholder

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

Placeholder

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

Placeholder

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

Placeholder

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here to read our complete review

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Placeholder

FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Placeholder

Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Placeholder

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order