Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Bob Gibson's and Moe's in Decatur and Huntsville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireMan
    replied
    Good to hear things are sorta OK at Big Bob’s. The staff shortage is everywhere. It is one of the more amazing things I’ve seen in my lifetime.
    Thanks Ground Chuck!

Leave a comment:

• Sid P
    commented on 's reply
    If you’re still in town give Wild Hog a try. We vacationed in Gulf Shores in 2019, and ate there three times in a week. The brisket was especially good.

• STEbbq
    replied
    I am not surprised that the food can be pretty hit and miss here though clearly it leans towards the miss.

I will say I’ve seen the restaurant on a few BBQ shows and the process of making the food is highly entertaining to watch. But maybe they are trading now on nostalgia instead of quality.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Glad to hear you liked it! I hate you had to eat in your car though.

• Ground Chuck
    replied
    Just went to Gulf Shores last week and had planned it out perfectly so that the wife and I would get to Big Bob's right when they opened at 9:30. However, your boy failed to factor in the time change. So we were able to hit it on the way back. The inside closed at three due to a staff shortage, but we waited in the drive thru which I think was 12 cars deep. Well worth it! I thought it was the best bbq (restaurant at least) that I have ever had. We tried the pulled pork, brisket, chicken, and the mac n cheese. I couldn't believe how good the brisket was. Even the wife was raving about it. She loved the mac n cheese, and she's got a very tight strike zone on mac n cheese. The gals working were also very friendly. I'm so glad we decided to fit Big Bob's into our vacation. I'm sorry not everyone had a great experience there, but I know we sure did .

Leave a comment:

• MattSayar
    commented on 's reply
    I still get those wings from Moe's every time I'm in town (annually). Some of the best I've had, but there's a tiny place in DC called Due South that actually does them better with the same technique. I've nearly replicated it at home, but it's so, so much easier to just toss them on the grill for 90% of the same result

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Good to hear it. You will be there to pick up your smoker anyway. I prefer this to Big Bob’s chicken, but if on a bbq pilgrimage get your ribs at Dreamland in Tuscaloosa, and some chicken with white sauce when going through Decatur.

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    It will be next Summer before I get to Alabama but I’m going to the original Dreamland BBQ restaurant.

• Skelly
    commented on 's reply
    Only the original. Please. Hell, I'll meet you there and buy you a rack if you'll just eat the original.

• DWCowles
    replied
    I’m definitely going to pay a visit to Dreamland.

Leave a comment:

• Ray
    replied
    jfmorris I've been to the Dreamland restaurant in Tuscaloosa and really enjoyed it. We had ribs and some sides; ribs just seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked over an open pit burning oak logs. Loved it, had a chance to chat with the pitmaster and took a pic with him (haha). Great experience!

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    No. The Dreamland is still here in Huntsville, out on University Drive. The only thing to ever disappoint me there was their ribs, and maybe it was a bad day for them or something. It is cool to watch the guy cooking on the large open masonry fire pit. Something I like about seeing a real wood fire, and someone wrestling with dozens of slabs of ribs and butts using 6 foot long utensils.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Oh yes, I do remember now. I will be curious to hear what you think of that insulated box. That is what i am planning for my offset, as well. DWCowles

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    Is the Dreamland in Huntsville gone?

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Sadly the Cajun Cafe just south of the river has gone out of business.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here