Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard with Pit Viper or Fireboard fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireboard with Pit Viper or Fireboard fan

I will be getting a Fireboard when I get the LSG Cabinet smoker. Is there an advantage to using the Pit Viper fan as opposed to the Fireboard fan?
    Reading the post Fireboard Drive + Pit Viper fan; https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...an-w-fireboard People seem to like that combo.

I have the Fireboard fan. I like it just fine

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the idea of keeping with the same brand.

I have the Pit Viper fan for one of my FBs and I think it is more beefy than the FireBoard one. They both work fine though.

Comment

I bought the Pit Viper to ensure compatibility with their adapters for the G2 and the Kettle. I use the same fan on both with the Fireboard. Had previous good experience running a pit viper on a WSM 18 driven by a DigiQ.

Comment

Pit Viper

Comment

I have a pit viper, works like a champ for me.

Comment

Not only more robust, there’s also I think a basic flaw with Fireboard’s unit, the discharge nozzle is square. I’m pretty sure your LSG will have a round ball valve. Square peg in a round hole? Better make sure there’s an adapter for that.

Also remember, the fan is a slave unit. The FB controls it through micro voltage regulation. That means theoretically either fan works the same because it’s really the unit in control.

Not sure what LSG cabinet you’re getting but I’d vote for the Pit Viper and maybe even the larger model if the cabinet is big enough.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm certain there are round adapters that screw into the small holes in the loop on the rectangular opening in the FB fan. Not sure why you say the Pit Viper is more "robust." My FB fan seems very high quality. It easily controls temps in my offset when doing charcoal cooks.

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman I'm looking at the large cabinet and yes it has a 2" ball valve. LSG offers an adapter for the Fireboard.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Again I have no issue with the FB fan, I have not had a chance to use it. If the FB fan is what you want then I think you'll be happy with it. I'm just a big fan of the Pit Viper unit.

I've tried both the FireBoard fan and the Pit Viper on my Weber 22" kettle. First up was the FireBoard fan which failed to keep the temperature at my target of 225. On my first cook, the FireBoard fan ramped the temperature up to 225 and held it steady for about an hour. By this time the fan speed was 0% and I thought things were going great. Unfortunately after the first hour the temperature climbed to 250 even though the fan speed was still zero. An hour later the temperature climbed again to 275. As best I could tell there was enough air coming thru the fan, even when off, that the temperature kept climbing. Next I tried the Pit Viper fan and had much better success. Like the FireBoard fan it ramped up the temperature to 225 but, in contrast to the FireBoard fan, the Pit Viper fan was able to hold the temperature to 225 plus or minus 2 degrees for 7 hours before my initial load of coals ran out and the fire started dying. I'm sold on the Pit Viper fan as my my fan of choice. When paired with the FireBoard controller it's an awesome combo.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              That is what I use as well. Great way to go.

• Jim White
              Jim White commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not sure if my Kamado experience translates to a kettle setup, but on my cooker, when the temperature starts drifting up with a 0% fan output, I take that as a cue to close the upper vent slightly and that solves the problem. I have a very old BBQ Guru fan.

I like the round opening on the Pit Viper fan. I think you get a much tighter seal with the BGE adapter that way. And the fan just seems more robust than the FireBoard fan.

I already had the Pit Viper fan on hand from my Digi Q so I went with it. And it works great.

Comment

Nice writeup, RichardCullip . I was hoping someone would do a side-by-side test. Thanks.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks everyone. I went with the FireBoard/FireBoard combo LSG offers an adapter for it to the ball valve.
                Still waiting for the smoker....................how much loooonger until I get it?

Comment

I've had great success with the FireBoard/Pit Viper combo.

Comment

I do not have a Pit Viper. I have the FB fan and my only complaint is the interface between fan and adapter plate and adapter plate and BGE could be sealed better in some way. Perhaps a gasket or slightly different adapter combo. Otherwise, now that I have it dialed I it does a great job on my BGE.

Comment

• ofelles
                      ofelles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I replaced my Fireboard fan with a Pit Bull after seeing how loosely it fit on the adapter. Nice solid fit with the Pit Bull and no leaks.

My FireBoard2 was delivered just three days ago. I bought it cuz my BBQ Guru driver finally gave up the ghost. The FireBoard website says that most 12V fans with 2.5mm barrel plug will work. And My Pit Viper (10 cfm) fans work just fine with it. Though not as powerful as the FireBoard 20 cfm fan.

I did not go with new fans because my kettle and WSM's have the BBQ Guru adapter already attached. Did not want to buy another adapter and have to drill holes.
                    Last edited by TripleB; August 30, 2020, 07:06 PM.

Comment

After a lot of searching I chose the Flame Boss Universal Blower Assembly. $40 for 21 CFM and it has a nice sheet metal draft blocker. Mine is for a larger custom build so I didn't look closely at the mounting options/accessories. Works great with a Fireboard 1.

Be aware that the max current the Fireboard 1 can source is 2 amps when plugged in.

Comment

• mt2003
                        mt2003 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        How is it working so far?

• aldaeron
                        aldaeron commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This fan is great so far and has more than enough power (I even limit the max power to 60% in the Fireboard app). My smoker is similarly sized to: https://lonestargrillz.com/collectio...ulated-cabinet but without the fancy ball valves.

It was super windy in Denver yesterday and it did not noticeably affect the temp at all

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here