Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for ATC for Pit Barrel Cooker and Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for ATC for Pit Barrel Cooker and Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center

So I've had a PBC for about 3 years now, and I would say about a third of the time I have a problem with falling temps and the charcoal dying. I can't figure out what the problem is, except for possibly humidity (I'm in the DC area). It's a pain to keep cracking the lid open to get the fire going again, and then to go back out and shut it before temps get too hot. I've thought about modding the lid to add one of the Weber dampers, but I'm wondering if an ATC would just be an easier fix for overnight cooks.

I also just got a WSCGC. It's got a port for ATC systems, so ideally, I'd like to get something that would work on both the PBC and the WSCGC.

Any recommendations? I'm a bit new to the electronics/fans thing so I'm not sure if you can use the same system across cookers so long as you have the appropriate adaptors.

Thanks in advance!

New2Cue I would look at one of the 3 models available at bbqguru.com - the PartyQ, DigiQ and CyberQ. They sell adapters for almost every grill too (including the PBC and Summit), and all 3 come with a fan and the controller. If you happen to already have a Fireboard, then you can use it as the controller, otherwise I would get one of these. The PartyQ is nice as it is completely cordless, and runs from batteries. The CyberQ and DigiQ need access to an AC plug near the grill.

Just go punch in your Summit or PBC from the list, add that kit to the cart, then go back and choose the other grill, see what adapter it includes, and add just that adapter to your cart.

I think they install on the PBC by inserting a metal plate with the fan hole into the opening where the existing damper is.

Calling fzxdoc to this thread, as she has both grills and may know how to fit a temperature controller to each!
    Last edited by jfmorris; September 1, 2018, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• New2Cue
      New2Cue commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll have to look them up. Not excited about dropping money for a set up, but if I do it I’m going to do it right.

New2Cue, Regretabley I Don't Have Either Of Your Griis/Smokers❗️❓❗️ There Are Many Happy Owners Of Both On This Site‼️ First IMLTHOP, YOU SHOULD PM fzxdoc, Kathryn "The Queen Bee Of The PBC"❗️ She May Be Able To Help You Out❓ For Your Info She Also Has A WSCGC❗️ Additionally You Might Want To PM @Jerod Btoussard (Moderator) Abd Owner Of A "HOT ROD PBC"‼️ In Addition To Straight Pipes, Jerod Uses A Temp Controller On The PBC❗️ There Willl Be Many Others Chiming In‼️
    Hope This Help❗️ From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Sorry to bump this - I'm looking to get an ATC that can work on both my Weber Summit and PBC. The Weber Summit is great at maintaining temps, but my PBC always has temp issues (crashing) - I figure a fan unit will help me to avoid having to run in and out of the house to crack the lid and then back to close it before temps skyrocket. It's either that or I sell the PBC and buy something like a Gateway or Hunsaker to avoid all this frustration with the PBC.

I'll probably go with a Fireboard as a new thermometer device so whatever ATC unit I get will have to work with it. I'm looking forward to six channels - a few weeks ago I did a brisket and pork butt on the Weber and four racks of ribs on the PBC and having the extra channels beyond the two on my Maverick would have been nice (the food came out great nonetheless)!

Any updated recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Comment

Doesn’t the summit have a built in port for a fan?

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes it does.

New2Cue , I'm guessing that you could purchase the Weber adapter for your WSCGC and the Grill Dome XL adapter for your PBC from www.bbqguru.com . The BBQ Guru folks are so easy to work with--great customer service, and will patiently answer any questions. With a Pit Viper fan (medium) from BBQ Guru and Fireboard's Drive Cable, you should be all set. I think you could just switch the fan between your PBC and WSCGC.

You may want to see setups with PBC adapters linked to in this post.

Caveat: this is the setup I'm researching, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet and therefore have no direct experience. Hopefully those who do have experience will pop in here and comment and help us both out!

And P.S. you won't regret purchasing that Extreme BBQ package from Fireboard. I use it all the time and love it. Lost one ambient probe (went flaky) which they replaced no questions asked. I also purchased that skinny competition series short probe for ribs. I especially like having the 6 probes when I'm running my WSCGC and PBC at the same time--my fav kind of smoking days.

Kathryn

Comment

• New2Cue
            New2Cue commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you so much! This is really helpful, appreciate it!

New2Cue , I have the Fireboard, too, and posted in a separate thread my experiences in using it as a "guru" on my PBC. An absolutely amazing combination. I have done pork butts, briskets, ribs, and chicken since I "bit the bullet" about two months ago and love every minute of it. The control is unbelievable, and makes the PBC even more "hands off" than it is at its baseline state.

Here is a graph from the cook of a brisket I made on Father's Day. Due to constraints about when I would b around (church, family commitments, etc.), I "slowed" it down and ran the PBC at 225F for most of the cook. My wife said it was the best one I've ever made...

In case you need help finding the thread where I describe my efforts in making this work:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-barrel-cooker

Attached Files

Comment

New on the scene from ThermoWorks - https://www.thermoworks.com/Billows

Drawback is it requires the Signals controller but could be an option for both of your cookers.

Comment

Originally posted by supergas6 View Post
              New2Cue , I have the Fireboard, too, and posted in a separate thread my experiences in using it as a "guru" on my PBC. An absolutely amazing combination. I have done pork butts, briskets, ribs, and chicken since I "bit the bullet" about two months ago and love every minute of it. The control is unbelievable, and makes the PBC even more "hands off" than it is at its baseline state.

Here is a graph from the cook of a brisket I made on Father's Day. Due to constraints about when I would b around (church, family commitments, etc.), I "slowed" it down and ran the PBC at 225F for most of the cook. My wife said it was the best one I've ever made...

In case you need help finding the thread where I describe my efforts in making this work:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-barrel-cooker
              Great stuff Supergas! Thanks for passing along the recommendation!

Comment

Originally posted by cgrover60 View Post
                New on the scene from ThermoWorks - https://www.thermoworks.com/Billows

Drawback is it requires the Signals controller but could be an option for both of your cookers.
                Thanks cgrover - I saw that in one of the emails from ThermoWorks. I'll check it out, but seems like the Fireboard is the gold standard at the moment. Really appreciate it!

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like Thermoworks stuff, but don't see how their new Billows fan, or the fan Fireboard sells, would adapt well to the PBC and the WSCGC. It's like trying to put a square peg in a round hole, or over a round hole anyway! I think the Fireboard and then a fan from BBQguru.com with the adapter for your grill is the way to go. The Guru guys just have so many adapters for their fans.

I realize you mentioned wanting a controller for both the PBC and the WSCGC, but I read last night that Smobot is coming out with a control for the WSC. I'm not entirely sure when, but just something to think about.

Also, there are lots of threads on here with success stories.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good to know, au4stree . I know you were addressing New2Cue, but I'm contemplating the options as well for my WSCGC and PBC.

There's something nice about being able to switch the fan between both units, though. Plus I have the Fireboard Extreme BBQ package plus a few extra probes already. I'll be sticking with the Fireboard Driver/Pit Viper fan(medium)/adapters for the WSCGC and the Pit Barrel from BBQ Guru.

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; July 22, 2019, 02:05 PM.

Had a birthday recently and was given a PartyQ from my wife and kids. I was shocked cuz I don't recall ever telling them about wanting a BBQ Guru device. Needless to say I am super excited to complete a cook. I might just burn some coals to see how well it does. I've got a PK360 and WSCGC that will benefit nicely to this addition.

I want to thank any of you that somehow spoke to my wife telepathically or whatever you might have done to influence this gift decision. I've already bought the pipe test plug to modify the PK360 per Polarbear777 's advice.

Attached Files

Comment

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's what friends / pit members do. Just let us know whats next on the list.

I had problems after a few hours with temps in the PBC then propped up the firebox a few inches and no more problems. I assume the ash collected and interfered with air flow.

Comment

au4stree , what a nice gift! You'll have a lot of fun setting it up for your cookers. Let us know how it works out for you. Sounds like your wife did a little research to find just the right birthday gift for her guy. So thoughtful.

Mark V , I don't recall hearing folks talk about having a problem with the PBC due to ash buildup, but I've always wondered whether that would be an issue. What sort of ATC setup do you have?

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; August 9, 2019, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here