Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many CFM do I need for an Auber for Kamado Joe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many CFM do I need for an Auber for Kamado Joe?

I'm building/formulating my Christmas wish list now.

Which CFM fan should I get for my Kamado Joe (Classic)?

Obviously needs to do low and slow, but what if I want to bake bread at 500 degrees for 20-40 min? Will a 6.5 CFM do that? Or do I need the 10 or 20 CFM?

You don't need very much in a Kamado. In my experience, the 6.5 would work fine. Not sure about having to cook bread though. That would be out of my wheel house. But for low and slow, the 6.5 would work.

Comment

The bread at 500 degrees is my biggest question mark.

Comment

Contact Auber. They answer emails.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          I called them last week. They said 6.5 CFM would, but acted hesitant to say so. Didn't make me feel confident.

I might email them though. See if they'll put it in writing. Good idea.

I have a Party Q and the ambient probe wan't take that high of a temperature. You will want to check and see if the probe can stand up to 500.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          The probe goes that high, but unsure of the fan.

Originally posted by scottranda View Post
        The bread at 500 degrees is my biggest question mark.
        scottranda ... I don't use any thermometer or my DigiQ fan to bake bread at 500°. 500° will damage your digital thermometers.

I elevate my baking stone up in the dome so I'm baking my dough at about the height of the dome thermometer, which is accurate at the level it is mounted. I pre-heat (heat soak) all of my ceramics plus my baking stone for at least 1 hour or until my baking stone reaches 500° for which I use an IFR thermometer to check.

I bake bread without the top vent on at all, so I control the cooking temperature with just my bottom vent. I want maximum airflow and I want to watch my bread brown through the top vent opening.

I bake pizza exactly the same way whether I'm baking at 550°, 650° or 800°.

When lighting a full firebox of lump for this cook start 4 small fires in your firebox and leave your bottom vent wide open and take your Daisy wheel/top vent off. When your fires are stable close the dome and when your dome temperature reaches 400° close your bottom vent about half way. As it approaches 500° you will need to continue to close your bottom vent more and more. At 500° without a top cap your bottom vent will only be open about an inch to an inch and a half while baking your loaf.

I recommend that you use parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet under your dough while it bakes. If your bread is browning unevenly, which you can monitor through the open top vent, you can rotate it pretty easily by pinching the PP with your fingers. The PP makes transferring your dough, bread or pizza to or from the stone very easy.

Good luck on your cook, take pictures.👍

Note... Sourdough bread I cook at 500° under a stainless steel bowl for 20 minutes, to trap the water/steam during the oven spring process. After 20 minutes I remove the SS bowl and turn the temperature down to 450° to brown the crust. I cook to color at that point, even if I go slightly over 203° in the crumb.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Breadhead; September 12, 2016, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks. Maybe I'll just use the Auber for low and slow. Not bread. I am pretty efficient at hitting my temps. Just thought I could make bread baking automatic with an Auber.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here