Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That digiq Is the Bomb!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That digiq Is the Bomb!

U guys were absolutely right! That digiq is a whole new game! I set my Temps and walked away! Just checked it every once in a while and dang!! My chicken came out tender with lots of moisture. It was great!!

Awesome, here's to many nights filled with slumber and awesome Q!!

Comment

Was it difficult to install? What rig did you put it on? What are your burning?

Best wishes and congrats!

Comment

Willy I run myron mixons vulcan series v-9. There is literally nothing to installing it. Where the ash tray at the bottom is, there is a inch and a half valve for the air. Install a reducer to three quarters and put your adapter in it. Plug in your fan and your done. That easy.

Comment

Congratulations! Got any pictures of the chicken? Thanks!

Comment

• MagWarrior
            MagWarrior commented
            Editing a comment
            No it looked plain jane.. wife doesn't like alot of stuff on them..

We don't care what or what not you have on it...we just like pics 😊

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            almost sounds pervy. ;-)

MagWarrior, Congrats on your DigiQ, Vulcan Chicken! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I agree. I can now cook a brisket overnight and still get some sleep!

​I also want to add the team at BBQ Guru are outstanding with service related problems. I had a problem with my fan not running correctly and they fixed it and sent it back no charge.

Comment

The DigiQ is the most helpful BBQ accessory I've ever purchased by far!!!

I set it up on my BGE and stabilize the cooking temperature and go to bed with no, zero, zilch anxiety of a bad cook. If I had had to pay twice the regular retail price i would still buy it.👌

Comment

Agree with Breadhead . It's a game changer.

Comment

I am new to charcoal bbqs and recently bought a Primo LG 300. I also bought a DIGIQ DX2 along with a Thermapen. After looking at the instruction manual for the DIGIQ I noticed that the probe is only good to 475'. So my question is around what do I do when I have to go to higher temperatures, do I just pull the probe ? So a couple of examples - cooking pizza at 500-600' - how do I know when i get to that temperature when the mounted temp gages are not considered accurate, another example - cooking steaks at lower temperatures and than searing the the meat at 600-700'. Is the teh Auber system a better method although I think it only comes with a pit probe and not a cook probe. Need some help on the best methods and equipment for these scenarios

Comment

Visserj You can get a thermocouple style temperature monitor if you want for those high heat situations. Thermocouples can be good for over 2000*F. You don't need to really have computer control over the pit in those situations, because they are short cooks. So just monitoring is fine in my opinion.

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

That's a Thermocouple device. If you click on the probes tab there should be something to fit your needs.
                    Last edited by Rfuilrez; April 26, 2016, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Visserj Also, if you want an all in one solution, you can get a Heatermeter. It's a DIY project that incorporates a thermocouple pit probe and 3 thermistor meat probes. With fan and servo/damper control of your pit. It also allows control and monitoring of the pit over the Internet via WiFi connectivity with a web based UI.

Build your own web-based barbecue controller using Raspberry Pi and a few basic electronic components.

Those are the forums where the community helps each other out. People there will also solder and assemble them for you (for a small fee). It's an awesome project and one I'm glad to have gotten into. Significantly more control over how the computer works than a DigiQ or even then CyberQ.

And here's the store where you can get the kits

Shopify provides a reliable Ecommerce platform so you focus on selling online! Integrated hosting, shopping cart and Ecommerce payment solution all in one!

Auber sells a version, but for a bunch more money than you need to spend. I soldered mine up myself, and would be willing to do it for you if you would like.

Comment

Visserj ...

I have a large BGE and the DigiQ Dx2.

The temperature gauge mounted in your dome is accurate but it is mounted higher up in the dome than the cooking level is. On most Ceramic cookers there is a 30° to 50° difference in those temps.

Once you've used your Primo enough you will learn that difference between the temperature at the cooking level and higher up in the dome where your temperature gauge is mounted. On my BGE if the dome gauge reads 300° the temp at the grate level is about 250°. Monitor that difference on your Primo so you innately know the grate level difference.

Cooking pizza... Mount your pizza stone higher up in the dome close to the temp gauge level and use the temp gauge in the dome. Don't use your DigiQ.

Searing at 500/600/700 degrees. Don't use your DigiQ. Searing is fast and furious. Just go hot and flip your meat frequently to keep from burning it. Use your thermapen to know when to pull you steaks.

I rarely use my DigiQ for anything over about 400°.

For gauging the cooking temperature at the cooking level at 225°/240°/275°/325° or 350° there is nothing better than the DigiQ. On long low and slow cooks after a couple of hours the dome temp gauge and your DigiQ cooking temp gauge will come closer to the same temperature as the ceramics completely heat up. On those cooks always trust your DigiQ if you've properly calibrated it.

That's my 2 cents... I hope it helps.👍
                        Last edited by Breadhead; April 26, 2016, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I finally got a Heatermeter and have some questions. I am not sure if the numbers on the bottom of the graph are the length of time the Heatermeter has been running or the actual time. Either one does not jive - when I first turn the app(Pit Droid) on it shows 11:44 and if it is the time it is way off and I do not know how to set the time. Also, the temperature varies to much, I set the meter for 225' and have variances from 205 to 240 and some extreme dips to 170 and back up to 225 and after about 4 hours the fan is running on high and the temperature drops to ambient and the fire goes out even though there is lots of charcoal left in the bbq. I have a Primo 300 with a fan/damper mounted on the lower door and the top vent is open 100%. Not sure why the coals go out. Also, the Pit Droid that I am using has an option to change the Pit temp from the app but it does not seem to work ? Can I save the graphs to my computer or on my phone because when when I unplug and plug the Heatermeter in again it justs starts a new graph

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here