Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to decide whether to buy a Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy it and try it. Your going to like it. Nuff said. LOL

Comment

I use mine all the time. I've cooked quite a few different things in the Sous Vide but I think it really shines when cooking chicken or pork chops. Seems like these items are easy to overcook.

Some other things I've made:

-cold brew coffee for my daughter (takes two hours in the Sous Vide)
      -infused vodka
      - Chuckies
      - Pork Butts
      - Veggies
      - Yogurt

Just to name a few besides all the different cuts of meat I've cooked.

Comment

There are plenty of reasons stated here validating a choice to purchase a sous vide unit, if you will use it. The more you use it the more you find to use it for, if that makes sense.

I always say the main reason I love my two Joule sous vide units and three Lipavi tubs for it is that Meat is No Longer the Boss of Me when I'm trying to get dinner ready or entertain. I love enjoying a cocktail with my guests while the meat patiently waits my attention and never overcooks. When ready, I do a quick sear and serve. Perfecto.

My fav sous-vide veggie is corn off the cob. OMG.

About the tub size, if you're sous viding for 2-4 people, a large stock pot is all that is necessary. But for large cuts of meat or several steaks, chops, or chicken pieces, then the 16 quart that you'll be getting is a good size. Maybe not big enough for brisket, but good for most things. I have 12, 18, and 24 quart Lipavi containers with lids and use them all, but not as often as I use the simple stock pot.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; November 8, 2021, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• snowswamp
          snowswamp commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the 12 Lipavi tub, lid, and plastic rack set. It’s a great set up for my family of 4.

Top 3:

Duck leg Turkey leg 48hr+ short rib or chuck roast

Comment

I just had a sirloin tip roast that I'd SVed for 21 hours at 135. Shocked, into the fridge, then reheated and seared tonight. Great texture, beefy flavor and done perfectly med-rare/medium from edge to edge. Microwaved the purge for 90 seconds, skimmed, brought to a simmer, some cornstarch added and... Yum.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0764.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	134.8 KB ID:	1122594
          Last edited by rickgregory; November 8, 2021, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Get one. I only use mine maybe once a month or so, but when I do use it I love the results. Last cook was a chuck that I did and it was excellent. As others have said corn, carrots and asparagus are great in it. I have an Anova, if it dies I will replace it.

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you Sous Vide the meat and veggies at the same time?
              Finishing both on the grill?
              Last edited by bbqLuv; November 10, 2021, 07:52 AM.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              bbqLuv I haven’t because the veggies normally go in the hot tub at a higher temp, say 180 or so. I usually do the meat first and let it rest and sear it during the last 15 minutes of the veggie cook.

Thanks for all the inputs. Heading to Costco tomorrow to get one.

Comment

I've had a sous vide circulator of one kind or another for about the last ten years. I use once or twice a month, and it's indispensable. Currently, I have an Anova Nano, and have never used the Bluetooth function on it.

I find it a little 'weak' when heating up large volumes of water, so I help it by using an adjacent hot pot to boil successive rounds of water until the bath is close to temperature, then the Nano can hold temperature for hours easily.

I use a variety of different-sized Coleman coolers, depending on how much food I'm doing. I don't close the lid, I just put a layer or two of ping pong balls across the top of the water, and they keep the heat and evaporation it very well. (Hint: buy beer pong balls, they're off-spec for ping pong, so are really cheap.)

I never use vacuum-seal bags, they're so expensive. (And I'm cheap.) I use Great Value zip-close freezer bags, and they work fine. The heavier the bag, the better. Just use the Archimedes principle when sealing them, and you're good. Do not worry about perfectly evacuating them, the law of averages is on your side here, and the food will be in there for hours. Any remaining bubbles will just rise to the top anyway.

What do I use it for?

Pork: ~147° for medium well, then finish on the grill.
              • tenderloin, 4 to 8 hours, sear.
              • chops, 4 hours, sear.
              • butt, ~154° for 24 hours, smoke at 250° until light bark (2 hours?)
              Beef: 135° for medium rare, anywhere from 12 to 36 hours depending on the cut. Sear.

Eggs: pasteurize at 131° for two hours, then they're safe for merengues, etc. Also it really extends their shelf life. Don't have to bag them, just (gently) toss them in. They are their own packaging.

If you want to poach eggs, they are so much easier to do on the stove.

Overall, I don't do chicken much this way, since I want chicken really done well. Most times, chicken goes in the Instant Pot, to be finished on the grill. Or roasted. Legs and thighs are my go-to here.

Same with ribs. I usually don't have the patience to wait for those via sous vide, so they go in the Instant Pot for 20-25 minutes, or mostly done. You want to be able to pick them up without disintegrating. They go on the grill with smoke at 225° for 30 minutes to build a bit of color, then get sauced and grilled to finish.

Vegetables want a fairly high temperature (~180°), which is hard to easily reach and hold with the Nano. And almost every other way of cooking them is better.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here