Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a SnS help me learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
    I think the direct answer to your question is "No. The SNS will not help you learn.". By that, I mean that the general techniques are the same with or without a SNS. Without the SNS I would do the snake method for low and slow, with a water/drip pan under the meat. Or use my two Weber charcoal baskets to bank the coals. The SNS just makes it easier and more convenient, but does not change the basic process at all.
    I disagree, partially. Yes, the process is the same but I tried the snake method with the pan etc... and it DID work. After all, the basic idea is the same... control airflow, have coals light the next set in line, shoot for low and slow. But the SNS has made this easier and a bit more consistent.

If the $99 is a tight squeeze, yeah skip it. You can do good cooks without it. If you can afford the $99, I'd get one. There's no reason to make things harder if you can avoid it, right?

Comment

As nice as the SnS is for low/slow, it really excels at 2-zone cooking. That sear zone is nuclear hot because the coals are encapsulated and the fire can only travel in one direction - straight up.

Comment

I put a new kettle to work yesterday, without an SNS. I set it up for dual zone using both charcoal baskets with a shield for each one, and smoked a large spare rib rack with coals and hickory chunks, centered:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Weber 2-zone.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	527643
        What I did learn is that I didn't need both baskets, just one opposite the top vent would have been fine. Maybe this will save you an experiment down the BBQ road.

You can also see from this pic that I added a second bottom charcoal grate, spun 90 degrees, to help manage radiated cooking later on; holds coals in place longer.

You should see my Amazon wish list - near everything you can add to this kettle is on that list, and I'll be ticking off those items one each payday, and the SNS is on the list. But so is the Smokenator - it looks to me like they can do slightly different things.

I'm not sure you can smoke on the bottom grate - something large like a turkey - with the SNS? I see you definitely can with the Smokenator. I'm sure someone will answer that for us.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here