Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotisserie for poultry in Weber Kettle vs. Stationary hanger for same in PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alabama Smoke View Post
    jfmorris regarding your comments above, have you seen a combo rotisserie /pizza oven for the 22"? I think I saw one a week or two ago but am not sure. And you have a wood fired alternative for pizza on the performer without the oven accessory? I would love to hear about that. Bet others would as well.
    Tom,

Onlyfire has a combo pizza oven and rotisserie kit:

https://www.amazon.com/onlyfire-Mult.../dp/B07XHFLXB6

My alternative is the "cracked lid" technique in the pizza technique video over at SnSGrills.com to get the kettle up over 500 (probably 550-600 dome temp) with charcoal and wood in the SNS, and I put a Lodge 14" cast iron pizza pan on top of a Hovergrill to get the pizza higher in the dome. I use the Lodge as a cast iron pizza stone basically. I slide the pizzas onto it on parchment paper, then on my first rotation (2 minutes) using a large spatula, I yank the parchment paper out from under the paper. Just be sure to trim the paper so that it doesn't catch on fire by sticking out too much past the pizza! Pizza gets rotated about every 2 minutes, with the dome put back quickly, and is done in 8 minutes or so.

I've got some pictures on here somewhere, will have to dig them up.

Edit: Here's a picture I found in this post:

Hey all you cool cats and kittens, I've watched the pizza makers on this forum with envy for years, as my wife never really liked pizza. We would still have it occasionally, but more as an "I'm too tired to cook today, let's just throw a frozen pizza in the oven" thing. And then, I don't know how it happened, but we
    Last edited by jfmorris; December 31, 2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Very interesting and informative link Jim. I have never cooked a pizza other than inside the kitchen oven so I have a lot to learn but so much has been written about the addition of smoke I have to try it! Thanks. Tom

I have a PBC and a rotisserie for the kettle. Personally, I give the nod to the rotisserie. Now, a big turkey cooks extremely well in the PBC. A smaller chicken...I get better results in my 14.5" WSM with the bowl removed. In the PBC smaller birds are too far away from the fire. They don't drip enough for that chamber and the skin doesn't develop a whole lot of color and crispiness before the bird is cooked through.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      JeffJ, when cooking the smaller bird on the PBC, are you hanging it from the hanging hooks, or are you placing it on the grate, OR are you hanging the one or perhaps two birds vertically to each other on the turkey hanger? Seems the turkey hanger would lower the birds down closer to the fire where the larger bird would have been.

Alabama Smoke I use the Turkey hanger.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. I would have thought lowering it would have taken care of the problem. I have the PBC and the turkey hanger already, I will try that method first, keeping the barrel hot, say 350-400 or so. I already know what rotisserie food tastes like and I love it. On Christmas Day I helped my son cook two 12 pounders in his WSM, one on each rack. He opened everything wide open, no water pan and did not bother with a temp probe on the rack. The lid thermometer was pegged. Great results!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here