Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold Grill Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to everyone for their input here. Always good to have a rousing discussion!

Comment

I am late to the party as usual. I have used the cold grate method the last time I cooked a couple of 20oz porterhouse steaks, and my wife said it was the best steak she ever had. She actually ate the entire steak, and she never does that. I seasoned them with some Montreal Steak, and followed Dave's instructions pretty closely. So the spin part added an extra 4 minutes, and it isn't like it was very difficult. I have cooked steaks lots of different ways, but I think this is my favorite method. But, as several others have pointed out, it is a personal thing.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	steak.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	801923

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Those porterhouses are beautiful!

Kathryn

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, fzxdoc. I was kind of proud of myself after making those. I didn't get a shot of them sliced; just a really thin band of grey and then perfect pink.

I think they, SnS, are just promoting another way to get a full side sear instead of just going for the "grate mark" sear that so many look for. To each his / her own. As long as we all pre burn our wood I see nothing wrong with this.

Comment

I've done it both ways and really couldn't tell the difference. I REALLY like the partially frozen cooking technique for steak and plan on posting a separate thread for it.

Comment

Originally posted by pkadare View Post
          So the answer I get on the FB page is one of:
          • Just try it.
          • You've obviously got your mind made up and you should leave.
          Not terribly helpful but par for the course for the internet.

(pulled from a comment)
          So this seems to be saying that the grates themselves rob the rest of the cooking area of the heat that would otherwise go to the meat that is in between the grates. That is not how heat works.
          Also, that is just marketing speak, there is no science behind those words. "Hey, this does this and we can do this!". Ok, how do you do this, and how is it better than that?
          As counterpoint to these statements I'm going to take up for our FB group. They honestly wanted to help, and were trying very hard to explain the technique, and you were just replying "I'm not convinced". To make matters more difficult, you're fundamentally wrong in your understanding of thermodynamics. Once they realized that, they went with "just try it".

SO, tried it yet?

Comment

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            No, but I will when the snow recedes. :-)

Whatever makes your boat float.

Nate pretty much summed it up.

I see why this was on FB. Admittedly I just joined my 1st FB group a week ago.

Comment

I've tried the cold grate technique, and even with the Easyspin grate, its sometimes a pain to spin the grate. I've started doing a kind of modified cold grate technique. I reverse sear my steaks with the detachable portion of the Easyspin grate detached, and the steaks on the far side of the grill away from the SNS. When ready to sear, I hook that on and flip it closed over the blazing hot SnS full of coals, and then start searing my steaks. So I guess the grate was cold to start with, since the portion over the SnS wasn't even in the grill until I was ready to start searing, but I am sure it starts heating up pretty quickly. I don't seem to get grill marks, as I am flipping the steak every 30-60 seconds for several minutes. I am sure if I had not started with a cold grate over the SNS, it would have been red hot metal and I would have had black marks on the steak from it.

I first thought maybe this was a risk of having a dirty grate since I never heated up the detachable portion to kill any microbes on the stainless, but its been washed, sitting ready to go on the side table of the Performer, and the 1000-1100F I see with the IR above the SnS full of hot coals is most certainly killing any microbes on the grate or the surface of those steaks very quickly.
            Last edited by jfmorris; February 19, 2020, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Well. I didn't develop the cold grate technique that I use. But I feel it's by far the best.

I take the grate and set it aside, on a safe surface of course, let it get cold and just leave it there.
              Yup that's right. Just leave it all alone.
              Than I place my steak directly on the burning coals and flip every 30 seconds.

CAVEMAN BABY!!!!!

Nothing beats the sear you get and it's also lot of fun.
              But you should not use briquettes. Lump or real wood is best for this technique.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here