Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How underrated is the vortex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait...you mean there’s other ways to cook wings? LOL

One of the best gadgets ever.
    Last edited by surfdog; September 11, 2019, 08:20 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

I love my Vortex(s). Yup, I have 2 of them so I can use one on the WSCGC to cook chicken pieces other than wings and the 22" Weber kettle to cook the wings at the same time. It's chickenmania time at our house whenever that happens.

Troutman here is the one who got me inspired with this post to get a Vortex and turn it into a chicken parts cooking machine. I'm forever grateful.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; September 11, 2019, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I made wings today, and they turned out great! Like, best I’ve made. Could have been the new method of dry brine of rub, salt and a tad baking powder over night. But I used my SnS, full chimney of KBB. And, because I knew I wanted hot temps, I just went with it and didn’t temp out to see how hot the temp reached. Wish I would have, to have some type of comparison.

Ive done some reading on the vortex, seems it pushes temps up past 400*, even past 450* at times if foiled to concentrate air flow to the middle. Also seems to give a convection type flow around the kettle.

My question, has anyone done a side by side test SnS vs Vortex to see if there’s a difference of any sort? Just curious. After my results today, determining how much better could these wings get. I know, it’s a $40 accessory, not bad at all.

Does the Vortex allow for more cooking area compared to the SnS? I’ve seen some nice pics from many that posted on this thread and sounds like great results from all. Especially Troutman and the cherry bomb chicken.

So, who has 2 kettles, an SnS and Vortex to be able to do a comparison!

Even with posting these questions I’m sure I’ll end up with one. But, just wanted to ask.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Good idea but there are tons of YouTube videos that have already made that comparison.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG3Xg7ItcYU

To me it's tools in the tool box. Just like my cookers I try to rotate and use the ones that best fit the thing I'm cooking. The Vortex with wings or chicken parts just happens to be my favorite.

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya didn’t measure temps?! What the..?! LOL
          That’s when everything always seems to turn out perfect. Go figure.

Anyway, as Troutman stated, there are comparisons online. I’ve not done so myself because I don’t own a regular kettle or a SNS.
          But the Vortex is a chicken cooking machine.

Wings out of my WSCG were great...these just turned the dial to eleven.

My advice? An experience? I have 5 SnS, includin an XL fer my 26.75", two Vortex, of various sizes. (Or, is dat Vortices?)

My recommendation? Buy it. Use it. Love it.

Chicken Makin Mochine, in my experience....

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Plural of Vortex is vortexes or vortices, both are interchangeable according to Webster

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL I JUST replied that the Vortex was a "chicken cooking machine." So yeah, great minds think alike...
          Weber could offer it in as an "upgrade" package and they would sell a bazillion.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here