Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How underrated is the vortex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How underrated is the vortex?

I ordered a Vortex when I got my WSCG since I didn’t think I’d find a SnS for it and wanted some cooking options. Man these things don’t get the discussion they deserve. I cooked steaks using it Friday night and just cooked about 2 birds worth of chicken parts using it for lunch today. The steaks were just OK, but the chicken WOW. Just as good as my last whirly bird and that was the best I’ve ever made at home. I loved the Habanero Death Dust wings and even ate a leg and I usually pass on dark meat. It was fabulous.

Also got a great laugh watching my wife try to eat one of the wings. My hot tolerance is about 10 times hers and the first thing I said after one bite was wow, that’s pretty hot...she still wanted to try one. Oakridge makes some great ones if you haven’t tried their stuff. The Death Dust is hot, but great flavor too. Sorry, didn’t take any pics today as the boss was having dishwasher problems while I was cooking.

Only one man's opinion, but I rather think that th Vortex is an indispensible tool to have in one's kettle arsenal...

Comment

I guess it depends on what you cook and what you have. Not sure where mine is at. But it was nice to have before I got the pellet smoker.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Pellet cooker is an underrated chook cooker. The natural convection is just like what the Chicken Doctor ordered.

Vortex is, from my reading, a chicken cooking wizard, too.

Did wings this afternoon. IMHO well worth the investment.

Comment

Kinda hard for me NOT to use my Vortex when doing wings/legs, even thighs. it just works. Has other uses too.

Comment

I know they certainly are popular, I go the other direction, I look for ways to slow down all of my cooks, especially chicken. But, I believe they are a really well thought out tool for outdoor cooking. I could see several ways of using it. I bet you could really get a cast iron full of oil boiling for outdoor deep frying.

Comment

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Try chicken as hot as you can get your cooker. I’ve pulled legs and thighs off my kettle with vortex at an IT of 190-195 and they were still ridiculously juicy. I didn’t take them that high on purpose, but the kettle was so hot they got there before I noticed.

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Redman I take mine up to the 190-195 range (dark meat). I just don't get there fast. I finish fast and hot with a fresh dump of coal. I just try to string it out over 2 hours. I run the kettle at 315 and a big water pan. again though, I try to drag out every cook a lot longer. But they always turn out juicy crispy and delicious. I try to make outdoor cooking meditative time for me. I rarely enjoy a fast cook (not the food, but the experience). But I also think the Vortex must a be a great tool,
            Last edited by Richard Chrz; September 8, 2019, 05:59 PM.

Wait, whose claiming the vortex is under rated anyway? Best way to cook chicken parts ever. Great way to sear a steak as well.

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            I knew it was out there, but always see comments like forget the vortex, get the SnS. Just haven’t seen a lot of people promoting it, but to be fair I spent a lot of past 10 years on pellet forums where they don’t do much good.

If I am doing chicken parts, I am using my 26” kettle and my Vortex. Period.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            OooohhhRaahhhh!

Like others, I always use my vortex for chicken parts. But this weekend I used it to get my wok screaming hot - another Vortex win.

Comment

• crazytown3
            crazytown3 commented
            Editing a comment
            This! I've almost convinced my DLSW that the Vortex is more than dual purpose (chicken, steaks), more like triple purpose with using the wok on it.

I own a vortex (and about every other Kettle gadget) and it does a good job on what it's supposed to do. However, mine rarely gets used anymore.

Comment

I just use the baskets that came with my Weber Performer Deluxe.

Comment

I use mine when ever I am doing wings on the grill. I have never done a low and slow cook with it, but it it great for doing wings or a solid reverse sear. I think the SNS kinda stole the Vortex's thunder when Dave dropped it here years back. I never used the water reservoir in the SNS anyway, so for me, they really are not all the different. And if I am going low and slow, I go Kamado or stick burner anyway, so I only use them for high heat searing. I still have the vortex but I gave my SNS away when I dumped my kettle. It only fits in the kettle, so I sent it with the kettle when I got rid of it.

Comment

Love my vortex made from a stainless bowl that I cut the base away.and it works great.
                This past weekend I decided to use the vortex to cook belly burnt ends and I came across the section I had cut off and got an idea in my head.
                I put 2 pieces of rod on top of the vortex opening and rested the offcut on the rods. This created a small gap to allow the heat to escape and a bowl for my wood chips. I regulated the heat using the kettle vents.
                I find I get more real estate using my vortex than when using my own home designed contraption as a type of SnS.
                I am as I type using the same set-up to smoke 20# of boneless skinless chicken breasts for making smoked chicken sammies for tommorow.
                Instead of wood chips in the bowl I used it as a water tray (I added a big chunk of citrus wood in amongst the charcoal for smoke)
                These are the moistest (?) chicken pieces yet. I do chicken for sammies fairly often.
                Set the cooker to run around 250- 270.

Comment

Went to take a pic and can't add to above post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190909_205843.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	741501

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190909_205717.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	741502

Comment

I have both SnS and the Vortex and I find they are both great and use them for different applications, you could make a good argument there is some overlap but it’s like having a good tool chest and having the right tool for the job.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here