Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Griddle on the Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been using the MageFesa Paella, carbon steel pans on my grills as griddles when we camp. Available from 8''-36'' diameter in a number of increments. They are not to heavy, season well, and clean up handily. Available from Amazon and other stores.

Comment

Good things come to those who wait, haha , well , i just got my new griddle for my 22" weber kettle and it's perfect. It's a german product, one that interestingly enough hasn't come up in this thread, see https://www.muenz-gmbh.de/html/manuf...l#Beschichtung, if you know german ;-) . They produce the griddle each individually. They have lot of different options. Mine is a 33 " wide and 0.2 # thick griddle. It comes with plate rocker coating and is curved towards the hole in the center. So cleaning no problem at all, in contrary. It is massiv, but still can be lifted off quite easily. And it sit's stable on the kettle. There is a gap between the weber kettle and the griddle, it lays on a spacer. Optionally you can have a fire basket in stainless steal to put in the hole in the middle, to put for example a iron cast wok on. Really great stuff and fun to grill.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great!

Now your talking. That is super nice. I was going to suggest just going to a welder and have something cut out of plate steel. No need for that now!!

Awesome!!

Comment

Nice! Very cool. I like how you can run that wok over the middle of the griddle.

Comment

That is really nice. Now we all want one.

Comment

In th bliss of total ignorance, haveta ask:

How they showin buildin yer fire? I'm thinkin full bed of direct, but wonderin what is ideal fer this setup...

Vortex assist has also crossed my mind, but might be counterproductive, except fer final sear, mebbe wok cookin, if yer quick an nimble...

Comment

• chenrici
              chenrici commented
              Editing a comment
              I put first some hot coal briquettes in the middle of the weber kettle fire grate and then mostly wood on top and keep keep putting wood through the hole in the middle to keep the fire going, The griddle has kinda 3 heat zones. The ring near the hole , blazing hot over 500 f, a zone in the middle of griddle like 300 f and an outer ring with around 225 f. So you can have direct heat from fire over the plate in the middle and indirect on the griddle, kind of like 4 zone cooking ;-) ... love it.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Droolin over it fer about th elevnteenth time, I jus now savvied what an incredibly dog / cat friendly feature that lipless outer edge is... Woof!

Fantastic, now Smokey will even be more wrapped around my legs, helpin me tendin th cookers.

He's earned such Privelidge,though, an many times over some, as Vigilant Guardian of th Pits is a part of th many services he lovinly, voluntarily provides to this unworthy adoptee

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Course, th kitty food, water, lovins, brushins, bbq, cheese, an other treats might also have summat to do with it, or???

This was a great thread. Been looking for a good griddle option. Lots of info and insight. Thanks to all for posting.

Comment

I have an Arteflame as well for my 26.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jPg4HCKYvMUV3SbqEF4UGnrKi-V1gBslqGWmPIv4pisxbiHzn2Zluk55LJmYE6QZAFKF598d5jQPe--ssx05VN3kiPBUtWWbTRhfpWfElMGxCM1xcoqEdQLBXmuuzrDpCdl9vnxxQLi1xviv9th0Nfs4YHGaNnAnJphuA9I13F0n2sHaY_KEHPirUVXdpTjmKKFde823J4Odd_luqLMRu0EaQvgEqIa6leE5ppnLAym9ZrkatvFEEhjiiccjzHr
Views:	591
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	682059

Comment

These paella pans look good too. This one is 27".

This Matfer Bourgeat 071050 27 1/2" polished steel paella pan is perfect for creating exquisite rice, seafood, eggs, and gratin dishes. Once seasoned, the pan acquires natural, non-stick properties for an easy-release finish. Plus, it won't chip, scratch, or peel off under usage of metal objects, such as knives, forks, or spatulas.Featuring a polished carbon steel construction, this paella pan is oven safe and durable enough for heavy-duty use. Its two handles can not only withstand high temperatures, they allow the user to easily hold and transport the pan throughout the kitchen. It also has a hammered bottom for great heat dispersion and even cooking. Compatible with all heat sources, this pan is an ideal addition to any restaurant or catering kitchen. Made in Spain, the traditional home of paella, this polished carbon steel pan is specially crafted to help you create authentic dishes that will keep your guests coming back for more! Overall Dimensions:Top Diameter: 27 1/2"

Comment

Sorry, I thought this was a new thread. I didn't realize I had already posted.

Comment

I'm glad you brought it back up to the top, Attjack . That German flat top made for the kettle that chenrici decided upon looks interesting with the plug for the center for searing. I also wonder how stable it is. I wonder how it compares to the Arteflame setup like you have.

I wish Arteflame made an insert for the WSCGC

Kathryn
                    Last edited by fzxdoc; May 21, 2019, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• chenrici
                      chenrici commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The flat top is stable on my 22 " Kettle.

I also considered the Arteflame Insert for my Kettle: https://arteflame.com/collections/gr...=4794047168545,
                      which i found quite attractive.
                      Last edited by chenrici; May 21, 2019, 01:55 PM.

• chenrici
                      chenrici commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What in the end made the difference for me, were the following points:

This flat top has more surface for cooking, since it sits on top of the kettle on a spacer, so it's actually wider then the kettle: 31,5 ". This way you have great air flow.

It almost like a 4 zone cooking ;-) Direct: for searing over the plug. And then the further away you go, the colder it get's. I measured: 500 f, 350 f and 225 f.

• chenrici
                      chenrici commented
                      Editing a comment
                      On the plug you can add a grill for searing or a small stand for a Wok or any Iron cast pan. Specially the later gives you great flexiblity.

It is slightly arched tipping towards the center, which makes it easy to clean.

it has a plate rocker coating, so don't need much oil for cooking

Thank you for the additional information, chenrici . What I really liked about the flat top you got was the larger area compared to the Arteflame so you could move your food to/from the cooler zone. Maybe they'll sell the one you have in the US one of these days.

Enjoy cooking on that great setup you have!

Kathryn

Comment

This is so cool. Looks like a space ship from ‘Lost In Space’. I NEED THAT. Still trying to fit in a wok cook outside and how to do it. This looks to have some versatility. We all want that, right?

Comment

Went and purchased a Little Griddle for my Weber. Fits perfect.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here