Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber kettle accessories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a fan of the Kettle Pizza. Will be firing mine up on Thursday.

The SNS is a must. I don't have the spin grate yet but might pull the trigger on that sometime in the future. I don't have too many problems spinning my current grate but it is getting pretty old.

Comment

Hi - (yes you should get an S'nS - but do look at the smokenator). I've been reading on accessories heavily, and acting on a few things.

If you want to use a wok, griddle, pizza stone or the vortex, you need the gourmet BBQ grate. You must have a vortex. You can use it 4 ways.

I added an accurate thermometer, low to the grate. I put a grommet in for a temperature probe.

Click image for larger version  Name:	grommet.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.0 KB ID:	544695

I have the Weber chimney, and it's too much charcoal for the 22". Get Weber's little guy, it's perfect. Get the charcoal baskets.

And I love the shelf - ordered a second one. You'll need at least a 50"L x 30"W x ~ 40"ish cover. Menard's is inexpensive.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180725_190859_resized.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.50 MB ID:	544696

The drip / water pans you want are 13" x 9". Here's a shot of the baskets, with a pan. Now that I know the kettle, I use just one basket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Weber 2-zone.jpg Views:	6 Size:	1.80 MB ID:	544697
      You'll also want the steel griddle pan that fits next to the S'nS, on the lower grate, so you can do a turkey.

Have great fun with your kettle!! (you could have bought a boat)

When it's finished, you can grab a 26" and start on that one!
      Last edited by JGo37; August 7, 2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Again, not to rain on anybody’s parade, but the Weber chimney, full size is ok. Much of the time you fill it 3/4 full if using it with the SnS. The weber baskets are ok if you have nothing else, like maybe a brick or two, I gave mine away. The smokenator is also a big waste of time & money. If you want one you can have mine, just pay for shipping. Matter of fact it is available to anybody who wants it.
        If you go to ABC’s (Adrenaline Barbeque) web site you will see the full impact of what the Slow N Sear does. Watch it in action. Trust me there is NO hype. It is everything that everybody around here says it is. The idea & develpment came from members of this site. Huskee & a napkin and ABCDave plus a couple of others. It truly will shape your cooking to a level that is available on big bucks equipment, but without the versatility. You can almost do everything with your Weber & a SnS. Again go to the site it will blow you away. Then, there is Amazing Ribs Gold Medal evaluation of the SnS. That spot was once held by the smokenator until the SnS came out. It ended up being much more than an improvement. I piped in with this advice to offer some focus & clarity, plus it needed to be said. Enjoy your Weber, & remember, if you see any around town take pics & submit them to Road Webers II thread. Get hooked.

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          I am going with a vortex on the 22 and a smokenator XL on the 26 - if there was a full fit SnS with a right-sized griddle/pan for the lower grate of the 26 I would do that. The 26 is the forgotten cousin...

We need to get enough clout to transform the 26 into the kettle of choice. I'll never be allowed to get the ranch... happy wife happy life.

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          The SNS XL is made for the 26”. No larger dng but foil works for directing airflow and cleanup and the 26 is large enough to toss whatever steel or CI griddle you like on it.
          The 26” also comes standard with SS grate.

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info on the 26 - somehow I missed that. ;o)

This Santa Maria attachment looks pretty cool. I know absolutely nothing about it, so I'm not making any recommendations. They also make them for 14, 18, 22.5 and 26 kettles. Check it out!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gabbys Grills Santa Maria Kettle Attachment.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	544854

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh wow! I use a patio firepit, tripod and cooking grate to faux SM. I have both more surface area for my fire, and can drop in lots of wood. I'd like to drive this around the block and see what it can really do.

Thank you all for the replies! Looks like I have some thinking to do. How much do I really want to spend to start .
        Definitely an SnS. Possibly a DnG. Maybe the spin grate.
        I ordered a lid gasket since I'm probably best off installing that when it's brand new.
        The kettle pizza looks pretty cool for a down the road add on.
        I'll definitely drill some probe holes since running them through the lid sounds like it'd be annoying.
        ​​​​

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Has anyone really been happy with the kettle pizza? I’ve heard some things but seen very little evidence so I’ve avoided it thus far.

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          When I added a gasket to the lid, I forgot to clean the lower kettle ring. the gasket stuck to the lower ring - not that it came off, it didn't - it just left a ring of fuzz on the lower kettle. I then put self-adhesive cork tape on the lower kettle to get a soft, and complete, seal. If it holds up to heat after a handful of uses, I'll pic it and start a thread on what I did.

Forget the smokenator and go with the SNS. I can’t more highly recommend this, the easy spin and Drip N Griddle. The original upper deck expansion grate by Grillvana is a must too. It adds back what the SNS takes away in grate space. It also fits perfectly over the SNS and is very stable. I have the custom grill grates that fit over the SNS. I use them to sear meats at the end of a reverse sear and below the expansion grate if it’s directly above the SNS.

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Completely agree regarding the Smokenator vs the SnS. I ended up selling my Smokenator at a garage sale for $25. It served me well but the SnS is simply better.

One problem I run into is this: buy enough accessories and you might as well just get a Summit Charcoal Grilling Center. Keep your head straight.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe but most of the things I actually use (SNS, vortex, controller) I’d also want on a summit.

The summit does at least start with an SS grate, as does the 26”. Much longer lasting than the standard coated.

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          In retrospect I could have gone on CL and bought a pro competition trailer. The thing is, the investment has been slow, like payments, and fun.

22” easy spin grate
        SNS
        vortex
        dragon side clip on shelves
        thermometers
        control fan (not much on the kettle anymore because I have other smokers)

I have lots of other stuff collecting dust. These above get used.
        i have a DnG (foil cleans up better and for griddling I like a thick cast or steel plate) and a ceramic baffle from dragon guys that doesn’t work all that well.
        Last edited by Polarbear777; August 10, 2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I never needed a gasket on my 22” on my 26” it was needed. Depends on how tight the fit

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            Lucille bled a lot of smoke new, out of the box. The gasket was a success for me.

I find grill grates to be not very useful on a charcoal grill. For things that flare up heavily (duck, or butter drenched/basted corn) yes, but for straight searing efficiency I much prefer a no-grate or cold-grate technique.
          Last edited by Polarbear777; August 11, 2018, 04:19 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Same. I have never bought GGs for this reason.

I got bricks for mine, kinda like Charlie brown

Comment

Number 1 is the rotisserie. I use mine a lot. The SnS is a must, and I love the DnG. Pretty much anything from adrenaline bbq ends up on the kettle. I picked up the grate from them because I feel the construction is superior to the grate Weber sells.

Comment

My wife hates MCS but she'd never let me get rid of the Performer because of the Kettle Pizza accessory. She LOVES it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here