Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber kettle accessories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber kettle accessories

This weekend I pulled the trigger on a red 22" weber kettle ($99 with free ship to store from truevalue.com). I've been thinking about buying one to go with my PBC and Summit gasser for a couple months now, and had to jump on that deal when I heard about it on the forums.
    I know I definitely need to order a S&S for it, but I'm wondering which other accessories I should look into getting?

I've had my kettle from a couple years now. The only other accessory I use is Grill Grates. The S&S has even sent the Smokey Joe to the utility closet: use the small side to grill a couple-three things, use the large side to grill more, use the whole grate to grill for a crowd.

Comment

Not to rain on anybody’s parade, but I wouldn’t run to get grill grates. I might poke around with some other things, like a shelf. How yer temp gauges?
      I would then focus on using the SnS with maybe a griddle & or the spin grate ABC has. Then if you really feel ya need the grill grates go for it.
      I don’t use mine at all now. With the SnS there is sorta no need for them.

Comment

• goosebr160
        goosebr160 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the Weber igrill 2 which works perfectly fine. I'm just waiting for it to fail so I can get a Fireboard. Funny how things never break when you want them to!

• Jeffrey R
        Jeffrey R commented
        Editing a comment
        I totally agree Fireman. Not to knock the Grill Grates, but...they do get very hot and leave serious burns and a bit of bad char taste to me.

I’d get the Easy Spin Grate (or just the trifecta from ABC). I got annoyed with the smaller flip up on the Weber grate, having the bigger flip up on the Easy Spin matching the size of the SNS was money.

Comment

Ditto on the 22" easy spin grate. The big opening allows easy charcoal maintenance and piling up the briquettes for a long cook. The removable portion is laying on the other part of the grate in this photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6939.jpeg
Views:	250
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	543997

Comment

Thanks for the advice so far! To help clarify things, at this point, I am not planning to use it for long smokes. I have the PBC for that. My plan initially is to mostly use it for reverse searing, along with grilling veggies. I'm kind of torn on whether I really need the easy spin grate and the DNG for this. Are they items I'm definitely going to want in the future? If so, I may as well order the trifecta for the savings.
          Last edited by goosebr160; August 6, 2018, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I don’t have the easy spin grate, but will get one if my current Weber grate starts to look like crap. I tried the cold grate technique using the Weber grate and you have to pretty much lift it by the handles to get it to rotate, as it catches on the grill supports.

i have a full set of Grillgrates, and while I like them for grilling veggies and other stuff, including direct grilling of burgers, as FireMan says I would get other accessories first. I have found myself using my Drip ‘N Griddle lately for cooking shrimp, bacon, stir frying veggies and other things on my grill. It’s got a lot more space than my 12” CI skillet does for things like that. Where Grillgrates are useful is to let me use the full space of the kettle for direct grilling, without burning stuff up with flare ups. In the past for example I had to do a 2 zone setup for almost anything on the kettle - with Grillgrates I can actually do a single zone and not burn everything up. If your primary purpose for the kettle is reverse sear you don’t need them.

Comment

goosebr160 You might want to install a probe port. I just cant deal with running probes through the vent. I just picked up a red kettle as well and will be instaliing one.

Comment

• adamjs83
                adamjs83 commented
                Editing a comment
                Came here to say this.

OSB I agree. I kinda hate drilling a hole through the ceramic paint because of chipping, but I would really like to have probe ports.

Comment

• Brewmaster
                Brewmaster commented
                Editing a comment
                use blue tape when drilling the hole for the port, it eliminates the chipping

• OSB
                OSB commented
                Editing a comment
                BBQ_Steve-O Just go for it. You will be happier in the long run.

This shelf is pretty handy. I like mine a lot.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                I like mine a lot, too; bought four, total; gave one to Brother DeeWight!
                (I have 5 22.5" Webers...)

• BBQ_Steve-O
                BBQ_Steve-O commented
                Editing a comment
                Mr. Bones 5??? That's impressive sir! I'm gonna have a mere 2½ - 22.5's when my pretty redhead gets delivered. Guess I better order another shelf, huh?

the weber rotisserie is a fun accessory to have !!!

Comment

IMO I think you’ve got a pretty darn good setup with just the SnS and kettle.
                I might save up for the fireboard but you can turn out some awesome food with just what you have now. I would recommend doing a dozen or so different cooks until you get to know it.
                i might do snow quick easy mods first like a gasket and cable ports.

Comment

Dadof3Illinois are lid leaks a big issue with them? What kind of gasket is recommended? Also, where is it recommended to drill holes for cable ports?

Comment

• adamjs83
                    adamjs83 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    For a gasket you can get lavalock on amazon or one of several others.

For the probe port go on the opposite side from where you will put the SnS midway between the rim and food grate.

• Dadof3Illinois
                    Dadof3Illinois commented
                    Editing a comment
                    goosebr160 After a few cooks I noticed leakage around my lid so I bought the Fireblack Hi Temp gasket off Amazon and it worked great. There's a few different kinds and I'm sure they all work fine. I think I paid $14-15 for it.
                    The probe port can go where you like it. I have a 26" kettle and it fits right below the upper grate. I'm not sure about the 22",

• goosebr160
                    goosebr160 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks!

The Kettle Pizza accessory is a lot of fun, as is the rotisserie. I have the Arteflame insert for my 26 and it's cool, it might be a tad too small when used on a 22 though.

Comment

Hey Goosebr, Trick your Weber out with the sns 2.0 get their easy spin and don't forget the drip grill pan. You won't go wrong. This is a top of the line company with quality products.
                    I have the Grill Greats, they're nice but, always but, they get very hot! You have to watch them closely.
                    I've only used the set for the 1/4 side with good and bad results. The full grate set is still in the box.
                    Probably going to use them on the ole Char Griller Hybrid gas side for seafood and fish.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here