Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding Temperature Probe Grommets / Eyelits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Temperature Probe Grommets / Eyelits

Greetings for California,

I have a question about adding grommets for my probes. I have the ThermoWorks brand and the probe base is 5/16 wide. So far, the grommets sold by Cajun and Maverick ( Great customers service ) are too small. Contacted ThermoWorks and wasn't impressed!! The Weber grommet is quite large of a hole to drill.

I have the Weber Kettle and Cajun stacker unit. I don't want to notch either unit. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Art

I have not added the Weber grommet to my Weber kettle yet but I did add two to my UDS. I used a step bit drill bit which makes it pretty easy. My Smoke probes go through them perfectly. I can post pics if you want when I get to my computer.

Comment

• Jetski
      Jetski commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm curious what the diameter of those grommet's are. From what I've seen online they look like they are 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" maybe.

I would love to a picture of where you installed this grommet on your kettle Mudkat. Where do you get the grommet?

Comment

I did them on my Ugly Drum Smoker, not my Weber yet. You guys are motivating to get that done though!

Comment

I just looked up the specs, and that Weber Smokey Mountain grommet is 1 5/8" in diameter. The hole may be more like 1.5 inches, as there is a groove in the grommet that snaps over the edge of the sheet metal. I think I will live with my wires going through the top vent on my kettle a while longer before I drill that huge of a hole in the kettle body. Plus, with the Performer Deluxe, the table and frame get in the way of doing this where I would want - right above the grate level. I was hoping for something closer to 1/2" hole size...

Comment

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          By the way, that's the replacement for WSM 14.5" Not sure if there are different sizes.

The hole is 1 1/4 " use a step drill bit

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know. I've got a step bit or two in my toolbox, but will still have to ponder where to put a hole on a Weber Performer. I don't want to do it on the side away from the table, as the probe wires are stretched too far - the issue I have already with them being in the lid, and opening the lid.

I pondered the same issue when I upgraded my new Performer and old WSM to handle ChefAlarm and Smoke probes . I had a hard time getting my Weber people to secure grommets for me. I simple drilled a hole large enough for the probe, filed a "keyhole" just big enough to move the wire aside and allow a second probe to go in. Only a few times have I thought that the hole was causing airflow problems and those times I plugged it with a small wad of foil. Maybe not very elegant but it functions well.

Comment

Tapered hi temp silicone plugs are used in powder coating shops to block threads and other holes. They come in a large variety of sizes. On my kettle I drilled two 11/32 holes above grate level. Next I used a razor knife and slit two plugs length wise about 80% depth. Run the cables through the holes and take the butterflied silicone plugs and slide them around the cables from the outside and work the plugs into the holes. The holes are now sealed and the cables are protected

Comment

Couple of comments on the WSM grommet. Your Smoke probe bases are pretty beefy and pushing them through the grommet takes a bit of effort. If you don't physically hold the grommet from the inside you risk popping it out of the hole. Yes you can pop it back in but it's kind of tricky, especially if the kettle is hot! It's a firm fit since the hole is drilled slightly smaller than the grommet itself. Other than that it works quite well, but then again so does fishing it down the top vent hole.

The grommets are also available on Amazon .

Comment

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              This is true. You do have to push/pull with a little force. I use two hands to insert and remove probes on my 14.5". Not much of an issue but you should be aware. I have never popped the grommets out.

Just find it kind of amazing that Weber hasn't added the WSM grommet feature to their kettle line by now.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah - especially with the sticker price on some of the kettles these days. They link you to their iGrill2 device from their charcoal grills page, and I looked at the manual for those, and they give you no information on how to route the probes into the kettle.

• Sgt Tyree
              Sgt Tyree commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris : I called Weber about putting a grommet on their kettles going forward and the rep started into the iGrill device would eliminate the need for a grommet. Glad my kettle was built around the time that Moses was a private and out of warranty. That kettle needs a probe grommet.

Here's some pics of the grommets on the Ugly Drum. It's hard to see the grate holes, they are below each grommet and to the left. You may be able to blow the pic up some. I don't have the bolts in that hold the grates installed because it's getting painted. But this will show you how tight a seal and flat they lay on the side of the drum.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171130_160800.jpg Views:	2 Size:	4.31 MB ID:	420218

Here's one of the inside with grate bolts installed. They lay real nice on the inside too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171130_162531.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	420220

Comment

Here's the step bit. I put masking tape on the bit so I know when to stop drilling at 1 1/4". I drill a 1/4" hole first to speed things up and just took my time from there. I did lubricate the bit with dish soap when needed. There are lot's of solutions to probe holes on the Inet. I liked this one cause it works well with my WSM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171128_151639.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	420222

Comment

Skip the grommets.

Comment

That is a good choice too. Drill holes just big enough for the probes, feed 'em through and don't worry about it. If temp gets out of control you could fill holes with foil or use fridg magnet. Jon Solberg Did you do a video on this?

Comment

You could use a close nipple and a cap nut in whatever size you want. Either one small hole for each probe, or one larger hole for all your probes. The cap nut is for when you are not using a probe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here