Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A quick SNS question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick SNS question.

HI all. My SNS arrived yesterday, and I'm going to do a test burn today. I notice that some put foil on the grate to cover the area not covered by the SNS. I understand that it's to regulate air flow, but what are the pros and cons since not everyone does it?
    Thanx ~ Ron

The biggest pro for me is it helps keep the kettle clean form drippings. Makes clean up easier.

Congrats on the SnS. Your going to love it!

Comment

It's less for airflow and mostly for cleanup. I'm sure the air is directed some by using it, if sealed to all edges, but the air will naturally flow where it's drawn anyway. I just don't want drippings in my ash bowl or building up on the cleanout fins. Congrats on the new equip!

Comment

Thanx all - I'm going to do the test burn now ~ Ron

Comment

Throw some test meat on there Ron : )

Comment

Hi there Ron, you are going to love it! I got mine on Monday and I'm going to smoke a 8.5 pound flat for Saturday my 2nd cook. It's way easy to get going and maintain temps.

Comment

Thanx all. I added the charcoal to the SNS at 11:10 and it was at 245F around noon. I tweeked the top vent a bit to see if I can get it down to 225F - just for practice. I think I'm going to stop by a hobby shop when I go out later and get a paint pen so I can mark exactly where 225F is on the cover/vent. That's assuming I can get it to 225F before the charcoal is all burned. LOL

EDIT to add that my wife just asked me to throw a piece of salmon on the grill since it's smokin' anyway... She doesn't care about my highly scientific test.
              Last edited by RonB; April 14, 2016, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I am shocked David Parrish hasn't weighed in on this thread. SnS threads are his Pied Piper.

Comment

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's a very busy week.

RonB, I think you will find your grill Temps will be more Stable with the Foil! Call me Crazy and I probably am or Worse but I had my furnace man Cut a 17-1/2" Dia Circle from 20 Ga SS and clip 4-1/2" off of one edge. Just so it meets the S 'n S Resevoir! For your info I use a DigiQ-2 Temp Control and Fan! I keep my bottom vents closed from start to finish with the DigiQ providing all the air! With the Foil you will control your air with the vents! Hope this helps you! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
                  Powersmoke_80 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice job on the custom S-n-S baffle/drip pan Dan!

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Powersmoke_80, RonB, I worked from dimensions that were Published by Adrenaline BBQ but I wish I would
                  have used the S 'n S itself and scribed arround it, it would have made for a tighter fit! Oh Well What the H--l We
                  Will Do Better Next Time! From Fargo ND, Dan

Man you guys are hard core... lol My first cook with the SNS I used no foil on the charcoal grate and maintained 225 - 230 no problem for some perfect ribs. Second cook to reverse sear some steaks did leave some drippings on the bottom vent so next cook of a couple tri tips threw two small drip pans with a little water on the charcoal grate which managed the mess and still had very easy temp control.

Comment

That's all I've ever done, just placed a drip pan under whatever I'm cooking. Maybe I'm lucky but mine seems like it's dialed in to 225. I keep all vents at or about half open and it never wavers. I don't use the recommended lighting method, I use my SNS modified Minion method but I'll still get up to 6 hours without having to add any charcoal. Wood is another story, I'm a bit of a wood freak so as the initial chunks burn out I'll add more and continue to do so throughout the cook. I've ruined many a cook by over smoking but I just can't help myself.

Comment

My SnS will be here tomorrow! I can't wait!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here