Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber kettle charcoal ring and deflector plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber kettle charcoal ring and deflector plate?

How come I’m just learning about this now?

One of the biggest drawbacks of the S&S is the amount of real estate it takes up. This kind of eliminates that, doesn’t it?

Weber Kettle Grill Heat Deflector. Provides indirect heat on the entire surface of your BBQ grill. Perfect for low and slow cooking on a kettle charcoal grill. Made in the USA out of mild steel and stainless steel. Charcoal ring holds coals for controlled burn rate. Transform your kettle into a

Click image for larger version

Name:	0AB69D59-D005-4D10-B556-9DFBE6721C6F.jpg
Views:	1917
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1250888

I thought Weber sold a kettle with that now. It was in the European market a couple of years ago, but I don't see it on their site.

Comment

First time I have seen this too. Very interesting.

Comment

Well, I’ll be your huckleberry. I ordered one, we will see what happens.

Comment

Interesting - this is the first I’ve heard of this company. Did you order mild steel or stainless?

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Stainless. I figure always pay for the better product. I’d rather spend $100 once, instead of $65 and then $100 three years later.

• Sid P
            Sid P commented
            Editing a comment
            Mosca 👍 That’s what I wanted to hear.

Looks interesting. I got to the point of adding this to the cart but then it dawned on me that you can't futz with the coals if need be. I'm going to save the link pending a write up of someone here that used it.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ll definitely write it up. As a kamado owner I’m used to not being able to futz with the coals. I also see this as a way to use lump for a low and slow kettle cook. It would need small to medium sized pieces, but it should work just fine. If not, I’ll let you know.

It should actually work pretty well. I improvised one years ago for my 26in Weber with the SmokEZ extender (giant WSM) by using expanded metal for the charcoal basket and a campfire skillet as the deflector. The nice thing about using the skillet is I could also fill it with water for the moisture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0049.jpg
Views:	1799
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	1251120

Comment

Looks interesting. Will wait for review.

Comment

I'll wait for your review, but I did just buy a side table for my 26".

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                One reason I bought a 22” Performer instead of a 26” stand alone was the side table. Now you have the best of both!

Originally posted by mnavarre View Post
              I thought Weber sold a kettle with that now. It was in the European market a couple of years ago, but I don't see it on their site.
              Yeah. I found out about it when I was watching a video, and the host mentioned it coming as part of the package with something called "The MasterTouch Premium". But there’s nothing like that on Weber’s website, and there are no official Weber accessories like that.

By the way, the video is actually a really good intro to Weber Kettles. I’m a mid-level user of the Kettle, I usually use my BGE, and I found some good tips. I really like how he speaks frankly about the Kettle’s strengths and weaknesses: "You can use it to smoke, but it is not a smoker, so you will get more leakage around the edge…."

Comment

I'm confused. With all the coals they show under the deflector, why wouldnt the deflector heat up and radiate a lot of heat upward?

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I sent the guy an email asking some questions. We’ll find out. It looks like the idea is to start a small fire in the middle that spreads, not the entire batch of coal. So, enough to keep everything at 250° means that the steel won’t get over 250°, I think. Or at least, the vents can be tamed to keep 250°.

But, we’ll see!

I even checked at Weber Kettle Club, I figured everyone would know about it… nope. One post. There are a couple posts referencing the stock ring and deflector on European and Australian kettles, but that’s it.

The one person who tried one said that it worked, but he forgot to set the lower vent and his temp ran away on him. I plan on using it with a DigiQ, I think I should be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
                Well, I’ll be your huckleberry. I ordered one, we will see what happens.
                Hey Mosca - got this yet? Any thoughts?

Comment

It will be interesting to see how you like the hardware ordered, experimenting with stuff is fun, and learning.

I've played around with some hardware I've got that makes the kettle a reasonably good smoker, and allows use of the full grate surface if needed. In the pics you'll see there's a deflector just under the grate so no need to play games with the fuel containment at the bottom, just build an appropriate sized fire and enough fuel for the job at hand. The red ring is from the Kamado Joe Kettle Joe, the one pictured had a finish defect so I got a warrantee replacement from KJ. Leakage hasn't been a problem as I used a strip of Lavalock insulation on the bottom flange of the Slo Roller ring, and on the flange of the Weber lid. I've smoked a pastrami and these short ribs and it does a decent job, though not appreciably better than any other similarly styled equipment.............let's say a kamado for comparison.

There was talk some time back that KJ was going to sell these rings/deflector as a separate package anticipating the Weber market interest, but I haven't seen any such offer yet. I did just get the warrantee replacement ring a couple months ago.........a year after authorized.......so it's likely they've been having supply issues.

EDIT: Looks like they have it offered for $120, but are out of stock...............Kettle Joe™ SlōRoller™ - Kamado Joe

Click image for larger version  Name:	weber slo roll 01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	290.2 KB ID:	1257663 Click image for larger version  Name:	weber slo roll 03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	284.8 KB ID:	1257664
                  Last edited by Uncle Bob; July 19, 2022, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Well, you say it solves the space issue, but looking at the diameter difference, you probably have 3-4 inches around the circumference of the main cooking grate that will be in the "direct" heat zone from rising air. Much like my kamado where the perimeter past the diffuser plate is a hot spot where you can't do low and slow.

I see this requiring confining the cook to about 18 inches of space, versus 22 inches. So indirect area may really not be as different as you think compared the SNS taking 1/3 of the 22 inch space.

I looked at the website, and for the 22" kettle this diffuser is 19 inches in diameter. So, assuming you can really use 19 inches, get get:

Area = Pi x r^2 = 3.14 x (19/2)^2 = 283 square inches cooking area.

With a SNS in a kettle, the indirect cooking area is about 2/3 of the grill, which is nominally 363 square inches according to Weber.

Area = 363 x 2/3 = 242 square inches.

So.... I'll give you this one on the math!

But I will still point out that I've crammed quite a few big briskets and long slabs of ribs onto the kettle with the SNS and they were the full width of the mid point of the grill. Not gonna be able to do that in 19" (and less as you follow the curve), without some trimming.

I will say that a Hovergrill (I have one) would be an excellent accessory to have with this, as the Hovergrill diameter is 17.75 inches, giving you an elevated grate 3-4 inches above the main grate.

Comment

• troymeister
                      troymeister commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I love this!

• Uncle Bob
                      Uncle Bob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh you engineering types. LOL. I see Mosca sort of mentioned what I was thinking as well. The Slo Roller design "evens" out the airflow around the kettle shape, whereas the SnS style of solution banks heat to one side. Sure, there's some convection that comes into play, but it stills seems that the Slo Roller would offer a more balanced flow of air/temp. It would take a lot more measuring effort than I'm interested in to prove it either way, and I'm not in it to "sell" my experiment.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here