Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20" brisket with the Slow 'N Sear?? Tape measure says I am good to go!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alrighty, at the 15 hour mark I flipped to fat cap down, so the top of the flat could be where all the air flow is, and bark up a little quicker.

15 hours 50 minutes in, the fan needed a little help to maintain temp, so I lit 8 more coals, dropped them dudes in, she crept up to 225 exactly, I plugged the fan back in, and let her ride some more.

Next pics will be brisket on butcher paper.

Comment

Wrapped at 16 hours 38 minutes. Internal still at 170. Thinking this dude might be probe tender at 190. Going to get reheated anyways, so that might be all it needs on the initial cook.

I go fat cap down when I wrap so I can preserve the bark on the flat. Plus, all that bark on the fat cap could use some softening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010047.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	109434 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010048.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	109435 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010049.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	109436 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010050.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	109437

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard that's the very reason you're the brisket King...looks great, man

16.6 hrs and still at 170? Wowzers. What gives?

Comment

Yeah, that's a very long time for that hunk of meat to not be done. Makes me wonder if you were cooking as hot as you think you were Jerod Broussard.

Comment

The temp may have been a tad lower, but not much, the Auber probe is dead on. The dome temp was reading over 300 and I have checked it more than once to find it is no more than 75 degrees above grate temp. It is closer to 50 degrees over, and the probe was at brisket level.

I had a couple briskets that were almost this long, but I had the heat hit 300+ on that cook on my offset.

Really thick Selects are not the most forgiving chunks of meat in the world.

Comment

@Jerod, I thought I had posted before for you to get the table set. It looks Deeelicious! When you get to that point could you Post a Pic of the Auber power vent is installed in your Weber, it appears you have much temperature control and burn rate than I have been able to get after practicing for
            +-40 years with a Weber. Thanks, Dan

Comment

Danjohnston949

Auber stuff

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                Jerod, Thanks A Million for all the info the detailed Pics and the info on your cook I can taste it from +- 2000 miles away. Enjoy, Dan

I knew selects took much longer to delishify, but I didn't realize they actually took longer to get up to temp. Interesting. Thank goodness for the hands off of the SnS and the Auber to boot.

Comment

I just sliced half of it up for consumption and it was 31 hours after I started cooking it. I let it get up to 195 this morning, then cranked the oven back down 170.

Was between letting it ride low for a while, or getting it to 200+, cooling, then trying to reheat on time.

It barked up pretty quick on top so I know the temp was where it needed to be.

The flat was little past perfect tenderness, which meant the point was purrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect.
                Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 13, 2015, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jerod Broussard, Jerod could you post a link for the Auber Power Vent? I am also wondering how you clean the ashes from your Weber?

These Webers have the ash removal system. Danjohnston949

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...-syl-1615sys-w

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jerod, Thanks a Million Until Better Paid!! Dan

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No prob.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here