Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcock Scissors....Your Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love my Cutco Scissors. I’ve had them for over 20 years. They even come apart quickly for easy cleaning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	16338F56-17E8-4A5B-8D27-C0A7A6770A43.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	958596

Name:	5DAE0221-51BD-441C-9108-E4CFF1AD2727.jpeg
Views:	286
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	958595

Comment

• PNWsmoke
      PNWsmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      got 2 pair. They are nice

This is what I use. They work great.

Comment

Dont take any advice from the wusses above real men use these

Name:	Screenshot_2020-12-19-08-12-48-1.png
Views:	259
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	958716

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahahahahaha

Steve R. CaptainMike Is this the Fiskars pruning shears y’all have?
      Attached Files

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks like the current model of what I have. I was going to post a link to mine, and those are the closest thing I could find.

I was thinking about one of these. holehogg

Comment

I use Wiss yellow handle snips. Seriously... I broke my kitchen shears...Had to go to plan B..They work.

Comment

troymeister I’ve actually got a pair of those as well as a larger pair of tin snips. I thought about using these, but was wondering how they’d do cutting the skin. I could always score the skin first with a knife, I guess.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Cutting through the skin and meat with a knife first definitely helps.

Panhead John I can't quite if the one on top is a homeowner grade or commercial grade. I have the commercial and it grade does work.

But it got me thinking...I just ordered a few minutes ago...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
          Last edited by troymeister; December 19, 2020, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
            Alabama Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey troymeister Just when I was getting bored with this thread, you posted the ones you just bought. Took a look and hey, those things look like they could be used to remove larger limbs than chicken backs! And with the seafood shears thrown in..........no brainer. Just put them into my cart. Another stocking stuffer for me!!! And thanks for the link. Tom

Edit: Lifetime replacement warranty and all for slightly less than 20 bucks.........looks like a deal to me!
            Last edited by Alabama Smoke; December 19, 2020, 12:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention:

I'm with Steve R. I use a cheap version of these, mine are bargain bin no-name I believe. For shears they might not be top notch (but they work fine for that too) but for chicken & turkey spatchcockers they are Tim The Tool Man Taylor Wooh Wooh Wooh [chest beating]. They work awesome, better than any kitchen scissors I used to use and I highly recommend. They clean easy too. Looks funny keeping them in the kitchen drawers but you won't regret it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pruning shears.JPG Views:	0 Size:	9.2 KB ID:	958895

Comment

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            The macho manfolk gardeners that I know tend to grow Scotch bonnets or ghost peppers or some other smokin' hot chilies. That cures other folks of presumin' to think they're less than manly men.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            IowaGirl I can always count on you for the right answers! You Rock!

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John In my opinion it takes a macho guy to not give rat's behind what others think of what he enjoys. I enjoy gardening too. Taking care of another life- whether human, animal or plant- means you're strong enough to not be too self-centered IMO.

Best tool for the job...
          Attached Files

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            The difficult part is stopping before cutting all the way through. I’ve had the same problem with a katana. LOL

These are the ones that I used when that heritage bird kicked my a$$ on thanksgiving. But for chicken, these are awesome! I love that they come part and they make fast work of a chicken, quail, etc. I got them online back years ago!

Name:	B47C484C-69CD-41C2-B8FB-867BEAE51F11.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	958995

Name:	A4166B93-F087-481C-AED8-B96972BFE6BD.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	958996

Comment

For spatchcocking chickens and turkeys, I've used this pair of Fiskars Pruning Shears for the last 6 or 7 years now, and they're still as sharp as Day One.

Click image for larger version  Name:	51b0T9Myd7L._AC_SL1000_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.7 KB ID:	959012

Cost is about $24.

Edited to add:
            Oops. After I posted this, I saw Huskee 's and Steve R. 's posts. Like minds...

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; December 19, 2020, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              That just reinforces my decision even more Kathryn! If they’re good enough for you and Huskee and others, that’s probably what I’ll get. Thanks.

Sawzall, here’s what I have though. Don’t know if they are better or not, then anything else.

Name:	D52EE3B4-406F-47BB-ACDE-5F256F527198.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	959032

Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 19, 2020, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
              Alabama Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              Just be sure not to lose that spring between the two handles. I did and now each time I make a cut, the blades stay closed until I take the shears and pull the handles back apart to make the next ones. Other than that, I found them to be good quality.

I got a new pair of tin snips at Harbor Freight. I us them only on poultry and run them thru the dishwasher after each use. They work great on turkey!

Comment

I went the OXO route based on Meathead's recommendation on the free side. Had them... 2+ years I guess, used them on chickens and up to 18 lb turkeys. I was about to replace them after last Thanksgiving, but got a Work Sharp E5 for Christmas and sharpened them up. They're going thru chickens again now like they're cornish hens, even cutting thru the skin well. If/When they die, I'll probably get some Fiskars.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here