Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chainmail Glove - any suggestions or reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chainmail Glove - any suggestions or reviews

Hi all,

I did a search on the board for the topic request, but nothing specific came up. So, going to ask if anyone has experience using a Chainmail glove for cutting, slicing and such.

Given my recent experience with a knife……and having a bit of PTSD at the sight of a knife right now, I’m looking at these gloves in hopes to be able to get back to working with a knife when I’m out of this splint. Has anyone had experiences with these and if so, any specific brands? Anything to stay away from or insights - anything like that would be wonderful!

Click image for larger version

Name:	D5A7EA06-25BD-42E7-9C81-DD8CD50F2B94.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1363729

I bought a protective glove like this from a restaurant supply store. It was under $10 and if I'm going to do a lot of trimming/cutting I use it under a rubber glove. So far I haven't made any slips that have tested it out but by the looks of it, I would be protected just fine.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the reply!

Poultry workers use these a lot. They are required to wear the rubber glove under the cut glove.

Comment

I use a "noncut" glove when I use my mandoline. Mr. Bones suggested that I use one.

Comment

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the same glove I have for use with my meat slicer. I survived without a cut when I fumbled the blade taking it off to clean.

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Oooh! Yes. For a mandolin as well! That thing scared me even before this incident!

Thank you for the suggestion on the glove.

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link. Looks great.

I just bought a pair of cut resistant gloves this week, haven’t used them yet. I got them specifically for the mandoline.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the same pair. I like them a lot for when I am in a tricky trimming situation. I don’t need them all the time but they definitely work well with some rubber gloves on top to keep them clean.

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the reply. Going to order these as well for the mandolin use.

I don't remember what happened to you but I don't like the idea of these for knife use. Its important to learn proper technique and use a sharp knife. Dull knives make you force things and are prone to slipping but are still plenty sharp enough to cut you. And proper technique should prevent you from putting a digit in danger.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, which is why he's currently thinking about protection. As I alluded to earlier I don't think he'll make that mistake again. But a protective glove wouldn't hurt for certain applications even if he doesn't end up using it with his chef knife.

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      I sliced the tip of my thumb off. The knife is as sharp as all get out. Yes, it was technique. Poor technique that I know was poor. Chopping a bar of chocolate.

My technique, although was poor during this instance and I slap myself for it still, is good for being a home cook.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      “The excruciating pain you feel when you sink a knife into your thumb... that pain comes from the knowledge that you're an idiot.“ - Anthony Bourdain

I once received a chain letter, from the chainmail...Jus sayin'.

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Tuning up your dad joke repertoire I see.

Several things to consider. There are chainmail gloves and steel mesh gloves. A lot of inexpensive steel mesh gloves aren’t really. They are cloth gloves that happen to have some steel woven into them.
    Most are sized to fit over gloves underneath so if using without an underlying gloves order a smaller size. Many of the good ones are not ambidextrous so look for one that is or get one for the proper hand.
    I have quite a few pairs of the chainmail and steel mesh type, some were gifted to me by friends from Nebraska working in the meat industry and I still have them 40 years later.
    Looking at the prices on Amazon I don’t see how they could compare to the ones from butcher supply houses or my gifted ones because Amazon prices are half of what I paid for good quality, and, I wouldn’t trust anything advertised on Amazon as having any ANSI cut ratings.
    And, no matter how safe you use a knife accidents can and will happen so wearing good gloves is good insurance, especially if you make your living with your hands.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      "And, no matter how safe you use a knife accidents can and will happen so wearing good gloves is good insurance, especially if you make your living with your hands."

I'm 64. I've knicked myself here and there but never seriously cut myself. The reason I don't like things like this is that it would be easy to feel you're protected and don't need to be as careful about technique and sharpening.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. It’s horses for courses, after all. If I was butchering animals all day long, you damn well bet I would have the best available. Same if I were using a commercial slicer.

But for using a mandoline (with the vegetable holder) a couple times a month, or protecting my knuckles while grating cheese, the reinforced cloth gloves are fine.

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Donw thank you for your reply and information here. I appreciate this type of response!

It is not just a dull knife that will cut you. I have a granton edge slicer that concerns me every time I pick it up. I have never owned a knife that takes an edge like this one. Even after I learned to respect it for how easily it has cut me before, the other night I was washing it and it smoothly cut through 4 layers of dish rag to cut me.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Ugggh… haha. I see my family washing knives and I shiver now. Hope you are ok.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, man. I feel that way with all my knives, but especially with that brisket sword. When washing it, I hold it facing away from me, and I clean toward the edge. I’m always relieved when I’m done!

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 Mosca

I don’t think chain mail is the right search term. Polarbear777 and I think fzxdoc use stainless steel mesh.

One example below:

Dowellife Chainmail Glove, Cut Resistant Glove Food Grade, Stainless Steel Mesh Metal Glove Knife Cutting Glove for Butcher, Oyster Shucking Kitchen Mandoline Chef Slicing Fish Fillet (Medium) https://a.co/d/4p9kYFz

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      There is a clear distinction in standards between Chain Mail and Steel Mesh. “Chain Mail….shall have 4 rings passing through each ring. Steel mesh on the other hand does not so many mesh glove manufacturers only connect their pieces of mesh using one ring and not four. As a result, the gaps at a glove’s seams are as large as 6.3mm, allowing enough room for a knife point to protrude.”

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I stand corrected. Chain mail is what you want then. Thanks Donw

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply and link. Appreciate it!

I'm more likely to cut myself cleaning fish or skinning/processing game animals than in the kitchen.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter Do you use nitrile gloves when cleaning feral pigs? My daughter the veterinarian is constantly reminding me to wear them because of how common brucellosis is among the pigs now.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Oak Smoke most of the time. Gloves are cheap and also convenient for clean up in the woods.

I have a fancy-schmancy restaurant grade mandolin with a full set of extremely sharp blades. The first time I used it I pretended I was the guy on the Ronco commercial and that slicing would be fast and easy.. Big Mistake. I've been afraid of using it again.

I think I'll look into a stainless steel mesh glove, I just need to find one that is US made.​

Comment

I am also afraid to use my mandoline, given I also cut myself just changing the blade. I recently sent all my kitchen knives and sewing scissors off to be sharpened, and promptly cut myself several times afterward (all minor, thankfully). I've been wanting one, but hadn't seen anything I liked in restaurant supply. Didn't even think of searching butcher supply, but will do that. Thanks. An odd question, I guess, but would these chain mail gloves be useful in "scrubbing" cast iron pans that need a little work? I know there are chain mail scrubbers for them, but seems they could be cross useful? Anybody tried it?

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a chain scrubber for my cast iron. I don’t use it often, only if I get something that won’t come off with water and a paper towel or my regular scrubby.

I did it once about 10 years ago. It ended up in a trip to the ER, we couldn't get it to stop bleeding. The nurses in the ER couldn't stop it either. Finally when the doctor came in he looked at me and said "You know it will eventually stop bleeding" Very funny ha ha. He was able to do the magic. I purchased a steel mesh.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds exactly like my trip…..an hour of major pressure to the thumb (after 6 or so numbing shots) and then cauterizing finally got the bleeding to stop.

What kind of steel mesh are you using?

• captainlee
        captainlee commented
        Editing a comment
        The first question he asked if i was taking asprin. I was at that time, it thins your blood. He too had the proper pressure point to stop it. I don't remember what brand, just a stainless mesh.

lots of commercial experience with them a life time ago. I came up in kitchens and the gloves were mandatory for minors when using knives and slicers.
      I’ve not used one in years but remember them being a real PIA. If they help you back into the game it’s called a training aide and you should give it a try.
      My advice is just slow down. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the reply. That was my other thought on these, how does it feel working with it on. I’m not one to try and go fast with a knife, and concentrate on smooth movements, almost methodical. This dang bar of white chocolate! Ha…

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here