Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

WE'RE SELLING OUT FAST! Less than 10 seats available. Secure your spot by booking now!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Best MultiCooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Glory
    Club Member
    • Feb 2018
    • Northshore MA
    • Weber Summit Charcoal Grill
      XL BGE
      DCS Gasser
      Humphrey's Cabinet Smoker
      Weber Performer

Slow & Sear
      Vortex
      Ceramic Grill Store Reducer Ring
      Woo Rig;
      Adjustable Rig
      BGE Pizza Stone
      FireBoard
      Pit Bull Fan
      Griddle Store Griddle

Best MultiCooker

Hi my Wife has been hinting she wants a multicooker. I really don't know much about them. Both Cooks Illustrated and Consumer Reports rated the Zavor as the best. I will probably go with that unless the knowledgeable people here on this site have other suggestions or opinions.

My second choice would be an Instant Pot Wifi or Breville

Thanks!
  • Huskee
    Pit Boss
    • May 2014
    • central MI, USA
    • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Want a free bottle of whiskey? Check out my link to Flaviar.com, you join with it, we both get a $50 bottle free.

Smokers / Grills
      • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
      • PBC
      • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
      • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
      • Dyna-Glo XL Premium dual chamber charcoal grill
      • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
      • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
      • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
      • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
      • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
      • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
      • (7) Maverick ET-732s
      • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
      • (1) Smoke by ThermoWorks
      • (1) Signals by ThermoWorks
      • Thermapen MkII, orange
      • ThermoPop, yellow
      • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
      • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
      • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
      • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
      • Instant Pot 6qt
      • Anova Bluetooth SV
      • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
      • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
      • BBQ Dragon
      • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
      • Weber grill topper
      • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
      • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
      • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
      • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
      • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
      • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
      • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
      • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
      • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
      • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
      Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

Don't know anything about the Zavor or other brands, but I suppose all those are relatively the same, like a microwave, with various perks from one brand to another. One thing I know, the IP-style cooker is a great tool for sure. For a while I thought those gadgets were a fad, a gimmick, but I have been proven wrong they're the real deal. My wife loves our Instant Pot.

Comment

• Jim White
      Club Member
      • Sep 2019
      • Gainesville, FL

When my old crock pot gave up the ghost, I got a standard Instant Pot. I used it for a few things. Several turned out well.One thing that worked well a time or two was making biryani. I also had a couple of failed biryani runs. The problem may have been that I worked from three or four different recipes and only a few magic combinations work, but I've drifted away from using it.

I will use it this evening, but only as a warmer. I'm making a pot of soup for a church dinner. Will cook the soup in my stock pot and then transfer to the Instant Pot for keeping it warm while serving.

I guess I'm just old fashioned and have the time to cook things the conventional way, so these devices just don't pull me in much. For folks with long work days away from the homefront, I see the appeal.

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes exactly. We work all day and having the convenience of the Instant Pot would be nice.
    • Murdy
      Club Member
      • May 2018
      • North-Central Illinois

I have a Magic Chef Multi. It's ok, but, Instant Pot is the most widely available one, so you will find more recipes written with it in mind, they work, but don't translate directly as the controls are a little different. Maybe if I was more experienced, I would not have any difficulties translating. I don't know if the same is true of the Zavor.
      Last edited by Murdy; November 14, 2019, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• parkerj2
        Former Member
        • Aug 2016

we've had an instant pot for 3 years or so. since before the craze started, really. It is very useful. I still prefer to braise things the old fashioned way, but sometimes when you want dinner in an hour, its amazing.

The BEST thing I've used it for is making stock. makes GREAT stock in about an hour or so. Not "traditional," but for cooking at home, its rich, gelatinous, and flavorful. makes a major difference in braises/soups/sauces. If mine broke, id buy a new IP just for making stock.

Comment

• mgaretz
          Founding Member
          • Jul 2014
          • San Ramon, CA
          • Mark Garetz
            Rec Tec pellet grill
            Weber Genesis Gasser
            Maverick ET-732 and Thermapen and others

Here are my thoughts, and I owned a Cuisinart version for years before switching to the InstantPot brand. (I own a 3 qt and an 8 qt)

First, don't worry about the recipes written for the InstantPot and not the others. 99.9% of the recipes just use the high or low pressure manual setting which they all can do the same.

Second, for me it was all about leveraging the brand name. By owning the main unit brand name (IP), you can get a ton of aftermarket accessories that are made to fit it - baskets etc. fit about everything, but having extra (and replacement) gaskets is much easier and less costly than the off brands.

Last, I found the actual InstantPot to be much better constructed than my Cuisinart though it never gave me any problems.

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            That was my thought as well. More support with the IP over other less popular brands.
        • Sam6687
          Club Member
          • Mar 2019
          • West Virginia
          • From the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia
            i have done brisket, ribs, pulled pork, cheese, pastrami, turkey and chicken. my goal this spring and summer is trout (if i can catch a few) and salmon.

I love my Instant Pot, I haven't tried any of the other brands so I can speak to a true comparison but i think that most of them are probably about equal. I know there are diehard instant pot fanatics that cook absolutely everything in them. Even normal quick cooking things like pasta etc. I avoid those types of food in mine, it just doesn't seem to be worth the fuss to do it in the pot when the traditional method is just as fast and doesn't
          lead to potential errors (lumpy stuck together pasta for example). I focus on the types of things that would take all day int he crockpot like soups etc that i can make in an hour after work for example. It just gives me a lot more flexibility with dinner options after a long day at work. on average i would say mine gets used 2-3 times a week, not always dinner but occasional desserts too. I highly recommend it for cheesecakes.

Comment

• parkerj2
            parkerj2 commented
            Editing a comment
            2nd on this. why cook pasta or rice in it, when my pasta or rice is already DONE by the time the IP gets to pressure.
        • Dewesq55
          Founding Member
          • Jul 2014
          • The Poconos, NEPA
          • Smoker:
            Landmann Smoke Master Series Heavy Duty Barrel Smoker (COS)
            Masterbuilt 40.2" 1200W Electric Smoker
            Masterbuilt ThermoTemp XL 40" Vertical Propane Smoker

Gas Grill:
            BBQPro (cheap big box store model) Stainless steel 4 burners with aftermarket rotisserie.

Thermometer:​​​​​​
            Fireboard with Drive cable and 20 CFM fan
            ThermoWorks Mini Instant Read
            Lavaworks Thermowand Instant Read
            2 Maverick 733
            ThermoWorks IR-GUN-S Industrial Infrared Thermometer
            ThermoWorks ThermaPen Mk4 x 2
            Govee Bluetooth Thermometer

Miscellaneous:
            Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator - 1st generation
            Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator - wifi/bluetooth connected

Favorite Beer:
            Anything to the dark side and malty rather than hoppy. Currently liking Yuengling Porter and Newcastle Brown Ale. In a bar or pub I will often default to Guiness

Favorite Spirit:
            Bourbon - Eagle Rare for "every day"; Angel's Envy for special occasions, Basil Hayden's, Larceny

Favorite Wine:
            Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Super Tuscan Sangiovese (Including Chianti Classico Riserva) Brunello di Montalcino

Favorite Meat(s):
            Pork - especially the darker meat. I love spare ribs and anything made from shoulder/butt meat
            Chicken - Mainly the dark meat and wings
            Beef Ribeye steak

Favorite Cuisine to Cook:
            Can't list just one: Indian, Chinese, Thai, West Indian/Carribean, Hispanic/Latin American, Ethiopian, Italian, BBQ

Favorite Cuisine to Eat:
            Indian, followed closely by BBQ.

Disqus ID:
            David E. Waterbury

Look around and read reviews. Serious Eats had a good comparative survey from a couple of years ago. Most of the bells and whistles are not all that useful. You mostly just use the Pressure Cook setting, and usually high pressure. For that reason, you might want to find the one that reached the highest maximum pressure and get that. Most electric pressure cooker (which a multicooker is) cont reach the pressure you can get from a manual cooker, but the enhanced safety and convenience are generally a good trade-off.

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Club Member
            • Apr 2019
            • Merritt Island Florida

I have a 6 and an 8 qt. InstantPot. I use them a couple of times a week.

The IP is a bust as a slow cooker. It can't take the place of a good crock pot. Neither can a stove top pressure cooker. I have been happy overall using the IP. I only use the high pressure setting and manual timing. All the other stuff is piffle.

Saute function you ask? Yes, you can saute and then pressure cook, but the bottom of the pot is slightly domed and that keeps requisite oil from staying in most of the bottom. Sticking is an issue. Additionally, the surface area at the bottom of the IP is relatively small. I prefer to use a real saute pan and transfer the browned ingredients into the IP. Seriously, how long does it take to was an extra saute pan.

If I had to do it all over again I'd buy the IP.
            Last edited by Bkhuna; November 14, 2019, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• klflowers
              Club Member
              • Sep 2015
              • Tennessee

Instant pot Duo 6 quart here. It is pretty handy. Made some pretty good red beans and rice a few weeks ago, it is a beast on boiled eggs, made a butt in it last week. I haven't tried any of the competitors, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, there are a bunch of aftermarket accessories made for the IP that puts it over the top IMO.

Comment

• Mosca
                Charter Member
                • Oct 2014
                • PA
                • Large Big Green Egg, Weber Performer Deluxe, Weber Smokey Joe Silver, Maverick 732, DigiQ, and too much other stuff to mention.

I read the Cook’s Illustrated review. That Zavor sounds like a nice unit.

I use my Instant Pot for the best braised short ribs I’ve ever had. I don’t think I’ve ever made anything else in it. It sits in the corner of the counter taking up space.

Comment

• JGrana
                  Club Member
                  • Aug 2016

I got an InstantPot last Christmas. Thought it would be "ok" but after doing various soups, eggs and stews - it is great.

Lately I have been doing Pho - both beef (Pho bo) and chicken (Pho ga) come out incredible. Perfect for those cold Northeast evenings.

As other have said, it can saute - it does get very hot, but the surface area is not as good as a nice skillet. But, for browning stew mean, chicken etc. before turning into soups and stews - works great - one pot.

Last, as a "small batch" canner, it can't be beat. I have done numerous cans of dill pickles, pickled beets, pickled carrots using the IP. You can first sterilize 3-5 small jars, fill with what you are canning and use the Steam function to "boil" the cans. Works great.

NOTE - I have not done pressure canning with the IP. I suspect it will work fine, but is not yet "certified" for this type of canning. You stick to the boil type canning.

Comment

• parkerj2
                    parkerj2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mind sharing your Pho recipes?
                • Attjack
                  Club Member
                  • Aug 2017
                  • Primo XL
                    Weber 26"
                    Weber 22"
                    Weber 22"
                    Weber 18"
                    Weber Jumbo Joe
                    Weber Green Smokey Joe (Thanks, Mr. Bones!)
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Orion Smoker

DigiQ DX2
                    Slow 'N Sear XL
                    Arteflame 26.75" Insert

Blaze BLZ-4-NG 32-Inch 4-Burner Built-In
                    - With Rear Infrared Burner
                    - With Infrared Sear Burner
                    - With Rotisserie
                    Empava 2 Burner Gas Cooktop
                    Weber Spirit 210
                    - With Grillgrates
                    ​​​​​​​ - With Rotisserie
                    Weber Q2200

Blackstone Pizza Oven

Portable propane burners (3)
                    Propane turkey Fryer

Fire pit grill

The one Kenji uses looks cool. No idea which brand it is.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

WE'RE SELLING OUT FAST! Less than 10 seats available. Secure your spot by booking now!
                  Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                  See more
                  See less
                  Working...
                  X
                  Meat-Up in Memphis

Placeholder

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

Placeholder

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

Placeholder

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Placeholder

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Placeholder

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

Placeholder

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Placeholder

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                  Stylish and Affordable
                  Gaucho Grill

Placeholder

Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335 
                  A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Placeholder

Weber’s Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

Placeholder

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

Placeholder

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

Placeholder

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

Placeholder

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

Placeholder

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here to read our complete review

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Placeholder

FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Placeholder

Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Placeholder

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order