Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best MultiCooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Beans are a challenge, because each is different with respect to the size, toughness of the skins, and the density of the interior. I find I have to pressure cook them a whole lot longer than most IP recipes say to get the entire batch creamy on the inside while not bursting out of their skins.

I pressure cook all my beans in an effort to ensure that any unwanted compounds in them are well tamed by the higher heat. Where I live, water boils at 206°. The IP gets up to 250°ish.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; November 21, 2021, 08:02 AM.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    I just looked on the Cooks Illustrated review, and Zavor has slipped from Highly Recommended to Recommended.

I'm with Dewesq55 , find the electric pressure cooker with the features that you like which also comes closest to 15 psi.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Great writeup. Thank you.

Kathryn

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    I love the Saute function because the spatter pretty much stays inside the pot, making cleanup easier. Plus it gets nice and hot--hotter than my solid cooktop's burners in the same amount of time. Problem is some things have to be done in batches, but that's true with skillet preps too, at times.To each his/her own. I like having only one pot to clean up at the end of the meal prep for some meals. Hubby likes not having to wash it--into the dishwasher it goes.

K.

• jfmorris
    replied
    We've had an off brand instant pot (Black Friday sale at Sam's Club type of thing) for several years as SWMBO really really wanted one because our kids had one. She has never used it. I've used it a dozen times as a rice cooker, and it EXCELS at that, getting rice done perfectly every time. I intent do try using it for some meals over the winter, just for kicks. I also convinced SWMBO to give up the oldest of 5 crock pots (she loves those things) when I showed her the IP has a slow cooker mode and lid.

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    replied
    I ended up getting an IP 10 in 1. Used it to make stock, Pho, braise, stews, and a bunch of other stuff. Best thing is making steel cut oatmeal in 10 minutes instead of constantly stirring for 30.

I definitely prefer traditional methods but if time is short it is great.

Still trying to figure out beans.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    replied
    Ninja Foodi. I have the 6.5 qt version. Bakes, roasts, air crisps, pressure cooker, slow cooker. Gets up to pressure much faster than Instant Pot. (I have two, so I know.) Air crisp makes the BEST potatoes. Used every function and I love it.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    replied
    Ninja

Leave a comment:

• Caffeine88
    replied
    We have a Fagor (now renamed Zavor, which you mention). My wife is a huge fan, and would buy another tomorrow if it went down. She likes the slow cooker feature better than IP's, based on widespread reviews at the time she bought it a couple years ago. We've done a lot with it, and I've been surprised how versatile and how good it is. I expected it to be a cupboard queen, but it makes regular appearances on the menu. Definitely recommend.

Leave a comment:

• plaak
    replied
    Agreed, the advertised n-function stuff is mostly marketing piffle. I suppose slow cooking is useful for some people if it's well-executed (though I maintain pressure cooking >> slow cooking, time constraints allowing) I've long mostly looked for design elements that make the pressure cooking experience better and easier.

I like my Breville's single-button access to reducing mode (high, medium, and low), which I often use after pressure cooking to reduce liquids, though I'm not even sure this was one of their advertised functions. I believe the saute mode functions pretty similarly on the Instant Pot in practice, tho it seems a bit more user-friendly on the Breville (probably the only thing it does better, if marginally so). I can't say I missed much vis-a-vis accessories with the Breville. The size of the inner pot and functions were similar enough that most accessories I might care about worked fine. Still, the newer design and technology in this new InstaPot, plus the better price point make it a no-brainer now.

Though I own a bunch of Breville appliances for various reasons, I'm also not convinced their reliability or customer support is any better than Instant. Instant's much higher sales volume in this space and greater reliance on this niche gives me a bit more confidence that they've worked out likely manufacturing and design defects.

Leave a comment:

• surfdog
    replied
    I have an IP Duo Evo Plus 8-quart…10-in-1 or whatever. I think it’s safe to say that most people can disregard the 6-in-1, 10-in-1 nonsense. I just set mine manually to either high or low pressure and adjust the timer. LOTS of recipes are structured that way because not everyone has a yogurt, sous vide, unicorn, or whatever setting on their appliance.

I liked the screen on the Duo Evo Plus more than most of the others, and the interface seemed more logical. It also has a flat bottom pot that doesn’t spin when placed inside. That’s a serious plus when trying to stir things…something I discovered when using a friend’s IP. The number of "settings" was pretty irrelevant in my decision. As others have stated, when I comes to accessories, it seems that IP wins hands down…though I see no reason why they couldn’t be used in any brand, so long as they fit.

Leave a comment:

• plaak
    replied
    Originally posted by Attjack View Post
    The one Kenji uses looks cool. No idea which brand it is.
    I know this thread is old, but I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Breville Fast Slow Pro. I've owned one for a few years now and like it. It has a few features that were not available in most (all?) other cookers at the time. I think these multicookers are great (90%+ for hands-off pressure cooking) and use it several times a week (I sometimes want to cook two things in parallel), so I recently bought the Instant Pot Pro Plus, one of Instant's newest and fanciest cookers. It's cheaper than the Breville and better in almost every way IMO.

Pros:
    - Multiclad stainless steel pot (vs thin nonstick)
    - Flat bottom (easier sear stuff since the oil doesn't pool in the corners as it does in most other cookers)
    - Lift up handles (don't need to glove to pull it out by the lip & prevents it from spinning when searing/sauteing)
    - Gets up to temperature faster, I'm pretty sure.
    - Probably a more reliable sealing mechanism (Breville would sometimes fail to come up to pressure due to the way the gasket was seated).
    - Built-in WiFi connectivity (This lets me change settings on the fly, even after I've started it, and monitor the cook--actually quite useful!).
    - Can run at 15 PSI (most ePC's max out at 12 whereas 15 is standard on stovetop).

This device also has automated quick and pulse release modes so you don't need to be there to flip the switch at the right time to prevent the overcooking that may result from natural release. I believe InstaPot first introduced this feature with the Max (their marketing literature doesn't make it clear!) and many of the models they still sell don't have this feature, but I think this is almost a must-have to make electronic pressure cookers inherently more useful than their stovetop counterparts. Being able to seal it up, know it's going to come up to the right temperature, not overshoot (once you know your cooker and your stovetop you can pretty much do this blindfold, but I don't feel comfortable leaving the house or anything with something on stove top), and then release at the right time, and (optionally) move to Keep Warm mode for several hours if I want it is a pretty big advantage. I had this in Breville and I use it in my new InstaPot now too.

IMO-This combination probably makes the slow cooker mode basically irrelevant since pressure cooking produces better food in almost every way and should still produce better and more consistent results after being held at "keep warm" temps for a few hours, i.e., the time-shifting advantage of slow-cooking and better-tasting food. I can't say I've used it like this much (I typically just keep warm for less than an hour).

The pot system is really a big upgrade over some of their earlier models and some competing brands. I often like to sear and saute stuff ahead of time, but all electronic pressure cookers lack the juice to do this very efficiently. Searing with the inner pot over a decently powered stovetop is so much better. I did this with my Breville as well, but the combination of the thin metal, and lack of handles made this a bit hookey, plus I don't really trust the nonstick coating very much for this sort of thing (I also worry about it when I dunk a stick bender inside). Cooking in a separate pan also works, of course, and can provide more cooking area, but it's often nice to have less clean up (one advantage of the high walls is that it helps minimize oil splatter on my stovetop).

Although most pressure cookers are roughly identical in their basic functions (pressure cooking), the numerous improvements and unique features make this feel like a genuine Nth generation (3rd or 4th?) improvement. The identical pot system can be had in some of their slightly cheaper models (Pro and Duo Evo). Still, this is well worth the extra money from my point of view. Unless you know you want something other than 6 quarts, I'd strongly recommend the InstaPot Pro Plus model now! I presume they'll be releasing this in other sizes eventually because it's a very new product.

P.S., 6 quarts is pretty much goldilocks size for most people most of the time. It's certainly big enough for my family of 4 plus room for leftovers. For larger projects (especially stock & broth making), I'm still hanging on to my old trusty 12L (~12quart) stovetop model.

Last edited by plaak; November 20, 2021, 02:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• parkerj2
    commented on 's reply
    Mind sharing your Pho recipes?

• Attjack
    replied
    The one Kenji uses looks cool. No idea which brand it is.

Leave a comment:

• JGrana
    replied
    I got an InstantPot last Christmas. Thought it would be "ok" but after doing various soups, eggs and stews - it is great.

Lately I have been doing Pho - both beef (Pho bo) and chicken (Pho ga) come out incredible. Perfect for those cold Northeast evenings.

As other have said, it can saute - it does get very hot, but the surface area is not as good as a nice skillet. But, for browning stew mean, chicken etc. before turning into soups and stews - works great - one pot.

Last, as a "small batch" canner, it can't be beat. I have done numerous cans of dill pickles, pickled beets, pickled carrots using the IP. You can first sterilize 3-5 small jars, fill with what you are canning and use the Steam function to "boil" the cans. Works great.

NOTE - I have not done pressure canning with the IP. I suspect it will work fine, but is not yet "certified" for this type of canning. You stick to the boil type canning.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here