Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I must confess: My instant Pot has replaced my smoker for Pulled Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must confess: My instant Pot has replaced my smoker for Pulled Pork

I found a great recipe for Instant Pot Carnitas some time ago, and the wife and I have come to the realization that we don't miss the pulled pork I used to do on the smoker! Blasphemy! I can only cook on butt at a time, instead of four, but it's ready in an hour, and I have to say, it's just better. Who'd a thunk it?

Feed him to the rancor!!!

Comment

• Nuke em
      Nuke em commented
      Editing a comment
      Feed em to the vegetarians

blasphemy

Comment

Can you post the recipe?

and...yes. Blasphemy! (although I love my pressure cooker...)

Comment

Well I mean if Sous Vide is still getting attention, resources, recipes, etc... here on the free site and in the pit then maybe InstaPot should too since it is like the number one selling small kitchen appliance the last couple of years...

Not saying I agree with you, not saying my wife doesn’t own one.... but I have a hard time believing pulled pork is better out of the pot than off the Cooker.

Comment

All I have to say is that where you're going to spend the afterlife there will be plenty of heat to cook those butts and atone for yourself.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s funny! The "Likes" say it all.

If it makes Great Food that satisfies/exceeds yalls' expectations, then I call 'No Harm,No Foul!!!!!'

With utmost certainty, no blasphemy!

On a side note; ya been, like, way remiss of givin us any IP pics, along th way <hint, hint!>
          Eat, Drink, an Be Merry, my friend!

Comment

• Abom
            Abom commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm all out at the moment, so I'll be making it again soon. I make some pics then. I just had the impulse to write about it.

Does this mean the communist's have won?

Comment

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            I would say yes they have won but not solely because of this but instead because a LARGE number of us are cooking on or in Chinese made cookers, grills, smokers, appliances, etc...

• Fire Art
            Fire Art commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang Russians

Ok, now we get into the whole swishing the meat in yer mouth & texture thing again.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            remember, don't swallow it either, you gotta spit it in that polished little bucket... you just want the taste.... Kinda like the sniff diet.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            texastweeter LOL. Can you imagine doing that with meat?

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan there is a good joke there somewhere.

No recipe, photos... didn't happen

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            What, the swishin o’ the meat or the crock pot thing?

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Whoomp, there it is!

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            I vote swishing of the meat pics!!!

Something are just best kept to ewer self. But now Ewe let the cat out of the bag photos and Recipes

Comment

• Abom
            Abom commented
            Editing a comment
            Added below

My sis in law raves about pulled pork in hers. I want to get one. Not because I think it'll be better but because I think it'll be really good, and I like really good food. My wife can make it for my lunches at work ( I eat 3 meals at work, 12.5 hr shifts) while I sleep. It's gotta make some great chuck roasts too.

It's on my wish list.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            A pressure cooker is a great tool. And the electric ones like the Instant Pot and Breville and Fagor are the easiest to use.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            What next, terrorist style ribs?

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            ALSO kicks butt on corned beef!!! I ALMOST prefer it to smoked brisket.

I have to admit that the pork is much juicier this way, and I can retain a lot of that tasty rendered fat as well. I got the recipe from https://www.hippressurecooking.com/, but the link I saved doesn't work any more. Here's the recipe as modified by myself:
          Spice Mix:
          1 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
          1 tablespoon salt
          1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
          2 teaspoons oregano
          1 teaspoon white pepper
          1 teaspoon garlic powder
          1 teaspoon cumin
          1/8 teaspoon coriander
          1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I use Chipotle Pepper powder, and more)
          1 large onion, finely chopped (note, I've used about 3/4 cup of dried onion several times, and it worked fine)

4 pounds (or about 2 kilo) pork roast, leg or shoulder (notice the weight here. I've never done just 4lb. adjust accordingly)

Method: (as used by me, the original is different, but not in a meaningful way IMHO)
          The day before cooking the meat, make the spice mix by combining all of the ingredients listed, cut the roast into manageable pieces and rub them with the onion and spices. Then seal the meat in zip-lock bags and refrigerate overnight.

Place the meat in the Instant Pot, then add enough chicken broth or water to almost cover . Close and lock the lid.

Cook for 45-60 minutes at high pressure. (I do 8-9 lb.s in my 8qt. IP at 60min.)

Quick release or natural. doesn't matter.

Pull out the meat and place on a platter, and then begin pulling the flesh into strips using two forks (if you're are storing most of it, leave it in big chunks to prevent drying). In the meantime, reduce the cooking liquid in the cooker to half strain and de-fat using your favourite method.

At this point, you can also refrigerate the cooked, now shredded, pork for several days or continue with the recipe. Store the Pork with a generous amount of the reserved liquid.

In a pre-heated large wide saute' pan add vegetable oil, or lard, and fry the shredded pork until it becomes lightly brown. For extra spice, drizzle the cooking liquid on the pulled pork before serving. (correction: ALWAYS add that liquid as you're frying it, and fry until it's gone. makes a huge difference.)
          Last edited by Abom; June 16, 2018, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• snowswamp
            snowswamp commented
            Editing a comment
            I love smoking and bbq, but my wife and I work and my kids are always having to go to activities. My instant pot changed my life. Thank you for posting!

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you ever tried this rub on the smoker, Abom ?

• Abom
            Abom commented
            Editing a comment
            richinlbrg not yet. Partly because my K7 is starting to fall apart. I have to do some work on it.

Can we ban people?! Ha ha

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee , at first glance I thought it was rig boilers, as in rigged.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            !Huskee Wow. I mean, jus Wow!
            So, like, tomorrow's menu is a total abort???
            I think I'm movin over to What Are Ya Drinkin Right Now???

• bardsleyque
            bardsleyque commented
            Editing a comment
            no you really should ban ketchup on hot dogs(lol)(I think)!

Done Nate. This post is now in the new Instant Pot and Other Pressure Cookers channel.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here