Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instant Read choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided on the Maverick PT-55 in part bc I could buy it from the SnS guys. But for $40 with free shipping, seemed like a good buy.
    Also getting a TP03H for the in laws house.

Thanks for all the input and advice!

Comment

My wife has the MK4, which is fantastic, and I have the Thermoworks MTC with the Fast Response Meat Needle Probe. I like the MTC better, personally, but both are excellent.

Comment

I like the mk4 over the others because it uses common AAA batteries...

Comment

I have the ThermoPop which says it registers in 3-4 seconds. Sometimes it seems to take longer.

Comment

I have the classic thermopen and the housing became brittle and cracked in 2-3 yrs, even though it was treated with care and never dropped. The cracking appeared to be due to a material or molding defect, based on my engineering expertise. I sent images to the company, but they said the guarantee is only for one year. I purchased it because of the great reviews, but now there are so many alternatives for about $20 I'd not do it again, considering how they responded.

Comment

Here's a good option that I recently bought to replace my Thermopen. $22 for a waterproof, AAA powered instant read thermometer with a lifetime warranty. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• BFlynn
                BFlynn commented
                Editing a comment
                That looks like a winner.

• BBQPhil
                BBQPhil commented
                Editing a comment
                Turned out it wasn't AAA battery, but otherwise works well. Looks to be a common design offered my a number of companies.

So I bought the Maverick PT-55 and the TP03H. I've used them both over the last couple of weeks. A couple key differences.

Biggest difference is the Maverick beeps when you turn it on, and when you press buttons. (Not sure how valuable that is). It does have a MUCH bigger display.
              Both register temps pretty quickly. At least, quick enough for me. Less than 3 seconds for sure.

You have to unscrew the battery cover on the TP03H, but they included a tiny screw driver - which I thought was a nice touch.

Maverick buttons are a little easier to push with gloves.
              Both have temp guides printed on the back. Maverick's is easier to read.

They both do what they're supposed to do. It will be interesting to see how well they hold up. Unless the Maverick lives twice as long, then I think the TP03H is the smarter buy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here