Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instant Read choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instant Read choices

So my wife killed my instant read thermometer. It was on the the Weber branded ones. I think I got it at home depot.... For $12........ 6 years ago.
    I needed to upgrade anyway.

I'm looking hard at the Thermoworks MK4 and the Maverick PT 55.

Is the MK4 {$100} really 2.5x as good at the PT 55 {$40}?
    Are any of the MK4s extra features that useful?
    I use these things, most days. At least 4 days a week, every week.
    ​​​​
    Would you rather have an MK4 or a PT55 plus $60 of meat to smoke or liquor to drink?

Also, I need to get an inexpensive thermometer to keep at my inlaws house. My father in law literally bought a grill so I can cook steak when I visit.

​​This will be used maybe once every 6 weeks.
    So I'm thinking either the Thermapro TP15 or the new Thermoworks Dash mini.

Does anyone have any other inexpensive thermometers they like better?

I think I not only have MCS {almost got a Weber Kettle today} but also suffer from broader More Stuff Syndrome right now

Personally, I think a MK-4 still reigns supreme ... but this could be a good less expensive alternative: http://enews.thermoworks.com/q/1CDN7...PeqnQ-PL5-3ToS

Comment

Can't go wrong with ThermoWorks. I've got that Thermopro also, it's alright.

Comment

I use an RT-600C and 600D by thermoworks.

Comment

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          Those look pretty good

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          I have two of those and they work great

I have always liked my Thermopop. Hard to beat for $39. Grab one for home and one for the inlaws

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          I buy these by the dozen. They make great gifts!

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          I have two Thermopops I got one sale, like $25 ea, I think. I can't fathom why I would need anything more. I also have a cheap Maverick one I bought a few years ago, it works great, too. I can't see why I would need to spend $100 on an instant read, these work fabulously.

I have the Mk 4's, but most often grab/use th Thermopops, at $39.... They work jus fine, no need to really git fancier, imo.

Comment

• shify
          shify commented
          Editing a comment
          Same but opposite. Have an MK4 and a Thermopop but use the MK4 every time. I think it is because I got that first, so it's in my head to use it. Picked up the thermopop as backup.

I own about 4 different Thermoworks devices from theMK4 to the IR and also a ThermaQ. Happy with all of them......great devices and company

Comment

I have 2 MK4s and have gifted one to each of our daughters. Those things are great. I really like the rotating screen and the backlight especially. I often end up cooking in the dark at dinnertime and poking an instant read thermometer into an even darker PBC makes the rotating and backlighting options almost a necessity.

It's great to see that the Dash that MBMorgan linked you to has those same features. Plus it says the display is large--close to the same size as the MK4. The backlight is not "intelligent" like the MK4 (you have to push a button on the Dash), but that's a small tradeoff.

Kathryn

Comment

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe that pushing a button is within my skill set....

Hadn't even thought about needed to read it in the dark. I definitely need that.

And for all the pondering I've been doing, I just saw that there is a MK4 in Camo..... so I mean, that decision is easy.

Besides, my wife keeps asking "so is THIS the last thing to buy for BBQ", but the more I cook, the more money we save.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            There's never a 'last' thing. I used to think that.. but... yeah, no.

I have a ton of ThermoWorks products. The dash is on its way. Like K said above👆 It has similar features for less but the MK4 is the gold standard.

the pro needle and RTC 600 are also good choices.

Comment

Another vote for Thermoworks. I have a Thermapen Classic and use it almost daily. Any of the Thermoworks products will serve you well. The ThermoPop is ~$34.00 if you need something in that price range.

Comment

BFlynn : for the inexpensive option, check out the Thermopro TP03H —- it’s a waterproof upgrade from the original, & they’re down to $14
              ... I use mine daily, and no complaints at all... I’ve read it "isn’t as fast" as some more expensive models, but I’ve never noticed any lag at all... hell, grilled some shrimp skewers the other day, and it was fast enough for me to catch them right when they hit 130 from 129...

Comment

Originally posted by JoeSousa View Post
                I have always liked my Thermopop. Hard to beat for $39. Grab one for home and one for the inlaws
                This. Cheap, fast, easy to use, no moving hinges etc.

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They have a new instant-read that's better for about the same price.

Mk4

Comment

MK4, a couple Thermopops, Thermapen IR, a dash and this thing my wife got me:

https://www.amazon.com/Grille-Perfec...-garden&sr=1-9

I use the Thermopop the most. I guess I have a bad case of MTS

Comment

I just don't se the case for a Mk4 or another $100 instant read thermometer. They ARE a bit faster than the Thermopop but it's 1 sec vs 3 secs and... eh.

Comment

• patcrail
                      patcrail commented
                      Editing a comment
                      rickgregory , amen! I’m sure they are faster, but 2 seconds? It takes me longer than that to slide in & out to find center! I’ve not yet had an issue using my $13 TP03H... I’d buy for features like display size & readability

• mnavarre
                      mnavarre commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The Mk4 is a pro tool. Most of us are well served by a ThermoPop, or a Thermopro, or a LavaTools Javelin. Honestly almost any $25-45 thermometer will be good enough and fast enough. Cooking on a busy line if you need to temp something you need the temp right the hell now, because you've almost certainly got 15 other things happening at the same time.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here