Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am working on best way to attach adapter to BGE. It sits in the slider pretty well. It seems like it could fall out, but not likely. Is anyone doeibng anything special to secure it?

Next, is anyone adjusting the fan speed?

I am getting ready to roll into a 16-18 hour pulled-pork cook
    Last edited by TimmyR; June 19, 2020, 03:15 PM.

Comment

TimmyR Fireboard automatically adjusts the speed based off your set point. The farther away from the set point, the higher the percentage of fan speed is used. As it gets closer to the set point, the speed will reduce so it doesn't over shoot the set point. Then it will cycle on and off as needed to maintain that set point.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod View Post
        TimmyR Fireboard automatically adjusts the speed based off your set point. The farther away from the set point, the higher the percentage of fan speed is used. As it gets closer to the set point, the speed will reduce so it doesn't over shoot the set point. Then it will cycle on and off as needed to maintain that set point.
        Thanks. I wasn’t sure if anyone had found it hit it’s temperature and held better at a setting less than 100%.

Comment

• Rod
          Rod commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. It's algorithm is designed to control the fan on/off as well as the percentage of power needed to maintain the set point. It's truly the most "set and forget" option out there that I know of. I always use +/-5 degrees for all my cooks and it has no problems maintaining that with of course the exception of temporary spikes from lifting the lid to do various things. Even then there's the lid detection setting that helps with that.

Maybe someone can help me with this now. I am using the Fireboard 2 with their fan on my large BGE and it seems like it always wants to run hot. I am guessing this is due to ambient air thru the fan. Is the Fan Door the best way to control this or do I need to try to further close up the intake vent/blower opening with foil.

Comment

I'm not familiar with a BGE, but on my kettles when the temp gets to 20 - 30 degrees from the set point I close the bottom intake completely and set the top vent to about half to a quarter. Then just let the fan do it's thing.

Maybe you should post your question on the BGE channel to get feedback from owners with specific knowledge of this cooker.

​​
          Last edited by Rod; June 20, 2020, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod View Post
            I'm not familiar with a BGE, but on my kettles when the temp gets to 20 - 30 degrees from the set point I close the bottom intake completely and set the top vent to about half to a quarter. Then just let the fan do it's thing.

Maybe you should post your question on the BGE channel to get feedback from owners with specific knowledge of this cooker.

​​
            Thanks Rod. I finally dialed it in and marked the Fan Door with the setting. It's simply a case of new damper settings and airflow. I am 18+ hours into cook and have had it dialed in for over 8 hours. It seems like you need to close the Fan Door like the BGE bottom damper and then leave a small opening at the top.

Comment

• Rod
              Rod commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like you got it. The fan replaces the intake vents. Then it just needs an outlet to keep things going steady.

This is the first controller and fan I've ever used on a smoker. I am very familiar with the damper setting on my BGE without a fan. I received the device Thursday and used it for a pulled-pork cook Friday and Saturday. The set-up out of the box was about as easy as it gets and the pairing with my iPhone XS and the app were seamless. I started the cook Friday night and accidentally let the fire get a little too hot before cooking. Ultimately I had it set for a slightly cooling fire and set the fan to come on and maintain 210 overnight. All worked pretty well, until the morning when I opened the fan door little too far. That caused the temp to spike and from there I experimented with settings to best set the fan door and the top vent. In the end I found a fan door setting to control the ambient inflow and closed my Smokeware Top Cap so just 2 of 3 vents were open. From there it was amazing. The controller held it at 220 and handled some manual steps near the end of my cook brilliantly.

The cook ran over 20 hours (two 6.5# pork shoulders). I stopped the cook with around 10%-20% battery available.

My only complaints are are minor. The fan should have a Nome gasket to better mate it to the adapter plate. The plate is straight and the vent is curved so its not a GREAT connection, but it does work. It'd be nice if it was a touch better fit (both more secure and closed a few more gaps. I'd also like to see the battery gauge on the main dashboard screens (I may have just missed that).

Overall 4.5/5.0 stars. Great Father's Day gift for me and I honestly love it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Awesome. Great to see them working together.

Ive found the Fireboard app. Easy to use so far. But my fan did NOT get delivered yesterday so it will. Be next week before I get that installed.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here