Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Meater Block Has Finally Shipped (3 Years & 37 Days Later) - Keep or Sell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Meater Block Has Finally Shipped (3 Years & 37 Days Later) - Keep or Sell?

This afternoon I finally received the tracking info for the Meater Block that I ordered exactly 3 years & 37 days ago. I have been so outraged by this company's repeated broken promises & shipping delays that I had gotten to the point where I decided that if I ever received the Block that I would sell it without even opening it.

Over the past 18 months, my Fireboard has basically been doing the job that I expected the Meater to do so I don't feel like I really NEED the Meater anymore but now that it's going to become a reality in my hands, I'm intrigued by the promise of having a true wireless thermometer.

I read Dr ROK 's review (see link) which was mostly positive & it sounds like the folks at Meater are responsive to customer inquiries.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ter-four-cooks

What do you guys think? Should I give it a whirl or put it on eBay?

Ya gotta give it a try after this looong wait. I hate wires and am still waiting for shipping info.

Were you Kickstarter or Indiegogo? If you were Indiegogo, what was your order number?
    Thanx.

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      I ordered through Kickstarter.

I think that unless you rotisserie, you can try eBay with a reserve above retail.

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't rotisserie often but that would be a good use for it.

I would try it. Never enough thermos... But I am one to talk, have had my meater for well over a year now and all kidding aside, I have no idea where I put the thing. Still new in the box somewhere. After the Fireboard I simply haven't needed anything else.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      What?

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      After Harvey brother, half our stuff is still in some box! That thing is probably in the same box as my favorite pair of pliers somewhere!

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol

Did you do just fine for 3 years and 37 days without the Meater? Yes? Sell it.

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes indeed.... I did just fine without it. Honestly, I thought it would never ship.

I’d use it. Heck I gave some money to a little car called Elio a few years ago. Supposed to cost $6,800 and get 81 miles to the gallon. I still have hope but I might be giving it to my new grandson.

Comment

Yep if you managed without it for 3 years and 37 days that should tell you something about how much you need it. Iv'e been fortunate I guess in that I've never been bitten by the gadget bug. In fact I go the other way and make a concerted effort to stay away from all that stuff.

I always equate the price of whatever the cost of some new electronic gadget is and compare it to what premium piece of Wagyu or something else I could buy to cook and eat is instead.

Somehow the food always tastes better than the gadget!

Comment

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        If the Fireboard had been available when the Meater was announced, I wouldn't have supported it. The Meater was my first & last Kickstarter pledge.

Dump it. Trying to be concise for once ... 😎 ...

Comment

I still don’t see how the thing can work as claimed. For one, at Bluetooth frequencies and power levels, the signal is simply not going to penetrate metal very well. Or at all. Now maybe that is less of a problem with a ceramic grill, but most grills are in fact metal. Second the transmitter and other electronics will have to be in a high heat environment. Heat is bad for electronics. And grills are designed and purpose built to be hot.

Doesn’t mean the concept is useless. Say you are wet brining or curing something large in a cooler. The signal should have no problem with plastic, and the probe could monitor cooler temperature without you having to open it to see if the ice is all melted (everytime introducing heat to the cooler). Or could be useful for cold smoking, aside from the metal cage issue.

The member review mentioned a probe failing. And poor signal range issues. Keep in mind this was with a very long delay between backing/ordering and actually getting something. So that is a lot of time to work out bugs. And still. My theory is the failed probe died from heat stroke. The signal strength issues....well take your Wi-Fi router and put it in a metal box. See what happens to your reception.

Comment

• wcpreston
        wcpreston commented
        Editing a comment
        @SmokeyGator

I have one and it works fine IF you can put a relay device close to the smoker. If I try to get the signal ten feet away inside the house, no deal. But they support putting a relay device close to the unit. It can be another phone or an ipad or something that you put close enough to the smoker to get the signal, but also close enough to your house that it connects to your wifi.

• wcpreston
        wcpreston commented
        Editing a comment
        I have an old android phone that I use for this. Its lame that I have to do this, but it's the best they can do until they get the meater block up and running.

My bigger problem has been probe placement. You have to put it so it's vertical and not horizontal, or the thing can just pop out. I had one pop out during a cook and fall next to the fire. (I have a PBC. It felt just outside the coal

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        I was expecting the bluetooth reception to be poor which was one of the reasons that I opted for the Block (for the wifi connectivity). Having to setup some type of relay device would to make the wifi connection work would suck.

BTW my comments above are about the original Meater. The meater block is supposed to do the job of relaying. You put the meater block near the smoker and it connects to your wifi. then you connect to the wifi signal. If that's the case you shouldn't have any signal issues.

Let me know if you want to dump it. I might be interested.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Ask Huskee about this. He has had experience with the block..........

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks wcpreston This was precisely the reason why I opted for the Block.

• wcpreston
        wcpreston commented
        Editing a comment
        kenrobin I want to see how things go, then! Huskee, how has your block experience been?

Despite my better judgement, I will probably keep it & give it a whirl. It's hard to resist new BBQ toys & it's supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Well that makes you our official Pit testor .... good luck .... we expect a complete report, don't hold back, both immediate and on going !!!

• wcpreston
        wcpreston commented
        Editing a comment
        kenrobin We are all waiting. Please let us know how it goes

True to form, it looks like Meater shipped my Block as "economically" as possible. I expected to receive it today but now the tracking info says that Fedex handed the package off to USPS & the new delivery date is unknown. Hopefully this just means that it’s at my local post office. If that’s the case then I’m betting that it will arrive tomorrow (I hope).

Did I mention how much I hate this company?

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        It's at your local post office BBQ!

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        My tracking info from Fedex still says, "Shipment information sent to U.S. Postal Service. Delivery date unknown". It shipped from Redlands in Southern CA on Dec. 5 (8 days ago). There is no way that this package should take more than 7 days to get to me in the Bay Area. Totally ridiculous...

So if people love their Meater Blocks after trying them, will the be called Blockheads?

Comment

I got my 'Survey' (again) so I could update (again) my shipping information a week or so I expect another few months before it shows up. In my opinion, if you can sell it now for even a break even, it is worthwhile. They are pimping their new repeater models, even offering discounts so you don't get the block! I think they are going the way of the dodo... so once mine arrives, it is off to the races to get rid of it. I don't spin cook, I have a fireboard, I have a Smoke, I have a Maverick, and I have a couple Thermopens. I am covered... oh, and I bought all of those _AFTER_ I supported the Meater!

Comment

kenrobin any updates? I'm going to make a post about mine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here