Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meater Block Review After Four Cooks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meater Block Review After Four Cooks.

I have used my Meater block for four cooks so far. 2 spatchcocked turkeys and 8 bone-in butts cooked in two batches of 4. One turkey I did in the oven and the other in the Yoder 640. All butts were cooked on my Yoder 640 pellet grill.

The two turkey cooks were my first cooks with the Meater and the internal temp part of the probes performed well, but the ambient temps were off due to positioning of the probes and the use of pans for both turkeys. The turkeys were cooked at 350. The butts were also panned but cooked at 250. The probes performed decently in both internal and ambient temps in the pit. The butts were cooked on two levels and the probes indicated the ambient temps were cooler on top by about 20 degrees. The internal temps were within 1 degree of my Thermopen readings, so I'm confident in their accuracy.

A few pros and cons I've observed:

Pros
    1 - No wires. I can't tell you how nice this is. No dirty black wires to fight or clean.
    2 - Water resistant. Clean them by running under water and giving them a scrub with soap and water.
    3 - Wifi - allows me to move about without having to leave my phone next to the grill. I haven't tried checking from a different town, but that test is coming.
    4 - Accuracy on internal temps is very good and ambient also appears to be close. The position of the probe definitely impacts the readings on ambient temps though. This isn't an indication that the probes are reading the wrong temp, they are just reading the temp where they are at. They are located within a couple inches of the meat surface so they are pretty close to, if not in, the cool zone around the HOM, so that's the temp they read. For me this isn't a deal breaker. Any time you change sizes of your HOM you change the inner workings of the grill so temps won't be the same in a specific spot any way. I'm a true believer of setting the temp, letting the Yoder do it's job, and enjoying the great results.

Cons
    1 - I already have one probe that is not responding. I've sent an email for support and we will see how well support responds. I've emailed questions before and they have gotten back to me in a day or two and have been very helpful. Hopefully this can be taken care of quickly and easily and it's a fluke event. Time will tell.
    2 - Bluetooth signal from probes to the block itself is very weak. I have to have the block within about a foot of the grill when using the Yoder. I'm sure part of the issue is the heavy steel used to build the cooking chamber. Throw a welding blanket on top of that and it gets even worse. I actually had to put the block on the grill yesterday. Today for some reason, I could leave the block in the house a couple feet away next to our glass patio door. The probes in the oven didn't seem to be an issue with the block setting about 5 feet away.
    3 - Audible notifications only occurs if you have the app running on your screen. If you open something else on your phone or if you put your phone in standby you won't receive an audible alarm, I was hoping this would notify me regardless of what was being done on the phone, just like setting the alarm on the phone.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the Meater Block. I plan on mainly using it to get me close to probe tender, and it does a great job doing that. The non responsive probe is my only major concern.

Thanx for the review. My Block is due to arrive some time in the next four months...

Comment

• shush
      shush commented
      Editing a comment
      I recently received the 'Update your shipping address' mail from the Meater folks. I ordered the block 2934 years ago. I expect mine will show up within the next 493 years.
      "Estimated ship date:
      December 2018 – March 2019"

Thanks for the real-life feedback. No wires - I can only imagine... WoW. No audible alert is a deal breaker for me until it gets a function change and plants a feature in the overhead that's always on. I get distracted. Beeping reminds me I'm cooking.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      But no wires would be awesome on a rotisserie.

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      JGo37 just to be clear, it does have an audible alarm, you just have to have the app up on your screen. It also alerts you to go back to the app if you switch to do something else, but I'm with you. It'd be so much better if it alerted regardless of what you are doing on the phone.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr ROK I need to look back now at my published Amazon wish list for XMAS. It's heavy on the monitors that can export a time-lapse graph of the cook - but I really do need a phone-based app that can run in the background. I don't recall any of the ads addressing that.

Thanks for the review. I backed them on Kickstarter over three years ago. My Block is "planned" to arrive before the end of the year, so says an email inquiry I sent to them.

Internal temp is what I'm most concerned about. Glad to hear that’s working well. My old Maverick gave up the ghost over a year ago, so I use an instant read when I want to check meat temps. Haven’t bought anything else hoping the MEATER would soon arrive. It will be nice to check temps without walking outside and opening the smoker.

Hope your malfunctioning probe issue is quickly resolved, and that you don’t have any other issues.

Comment

UPDATE: Meater support got back to me the next day with the suggestion that I thouroughly scrub the ambient temperature end and if that didn't work to try charging the probe in a different charging slot. Ironically, I had done that the night before and the probe is working fine. Moral of the story is to make sure the ambient end that makes the connection to the block is very clean. They appeared to be very clean after washing them, but I noticed that after they were dry, they weren't as clean as I thought.

ALSO, I asked about possible future upgrades that would include notifications even if app wasn't up and running on the phones screen and they said that this is possible now. They sent me some setting adjustments to make and the next time I cook I'll give it a try. Makes me even happier with my block!

Comment

I will be astounded if they ever send me mine. I still think it is a big fraud so it is good to see some AR people who actually got theirs.

Comment

This is papa Doc...new member...rotisserie griller who modified blu tooth probes to be in place while rotissing by designing a grooved billow support block to pass the leads along shaft axis to external magnetically mount send unit. Tried Meater probes to see if their wireless and dual readout was good enough to be true. First turkey fried the ambient component due to excessive infra red heat. Second turkey almost worked by shielding probe with foil. Best result has been low and slow loins , brisket ,and leg of lamb with probe being removed when I fire up the rotisserie burner for high heat reverse sear. Range for blu tooth is limited but I don't disappear when expensive cuts are being prepared for our crowd .

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome to the Pit djmdmd !

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here