Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a new thermometer. Pros and cons of the Meater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new thermometer. Pros and cons of the Meater?

My Maverick is not working anymore. Thinking of getting the Meater. The good and bad appreciated. Thanks.

Lmao! 😂

this should be rich!
    Last edited by Nate; April 21, 2018, 09:26 AM.

Comment

There are pros?

Comment

Don’t do it on the meater. Just don’t. Someplace Meathead has a statement declaring the same.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Jon Solberg, Are You Getting Cynical, Jon❓❓ See My Post Today,
          100% POSITIVE IMLTHOP‼️ 🤗 😇 🤗 Dan

We all have a statement declaring the same! LOL. If ya like the Mav, you would LOVE the Thermoworks Smoke or something along those lines.

Comment

This is one of those times when a little digging in the forums would have yielded some results Sfdrew28 . The Meater, so far as anyone can tell, is a complete bust and has become a bit of a sore subject for a number of members. They will probably, some day, figure out how to wire free monitor meat temps, but it ain't today. Best to look at a Thermoworks Smoke or step up to the Fireboard. Both are excellent thermo devices.

Comment

I second the Thermoworks Smoke, but will add the Fireboard to the arsenal this summer.

Comment

I love all my Thermoworks products. I LOVE my FireBoard! My Meater missed the mark for me and lives in a box somewhere. I do want to give it a second chance as an "kitchen oven" temp device but have not had the time to give it a go. It is a fun device to play with, as long as you don't pick your nose, or walk 10 feet away from it.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Dang that leaves me out, I enjoy nose picking

Smoke

Comment

One of the biggest cons of the Meater is that in all probability there is no such thing.......at least one that works.

One of the biggest pros of the Meater is that.......hmm.......well......I can't think of one. Little help anyone?

Comment

Haha...what great comments. I was skeptical but several people on another forum love it. No...the other forum isn’t Meater Promotions😂

Comment

Check out Fireboard. That is what I upgraded to0, from Mavs. Works great.

Comment

I have 2 Mavericks ET-732s and a Weber iGrill (4 channel, Bluetooth only). Just got a Fireboard, and I am absolutely in LOVE with it. I haven't even used it yet! lol

I love the WiFi connectivity and the graphs monitoring your cooks on the cloud. I've only run a little test to make sure my probes work, but I keep going back and looking at my stupid little graph using the temp of my hand to heat each probe in sequence.

Check it out here for THA AWESOMEZZZ.

I love the Fireboard.

Comment

Here is another perspective. Get yourself a Thermapen for measuring meat temps. Get to know your cooker (whatever kind your using) and you don't need constant monitoring of pit temps. Long ago I use to have Mavericks and had wires hanging out of my smoker everywhere. I was breathlessly watching temps of everything. If something got a few degrees from what I thought it should be I'd start adjusting vents adding wood etc.
                        Then one day I said screw it. Threw all the electronics in a drawer where it all sits today years later. I might throw a oven therm in the pit just to get a relative reading but most times not even that. I realized I had no reason to know when a pork butt or brisket had a internal temp of 115. I don't probe meat until I think I might be nearing the point where I want to pan.
                        Constant temp monitoring is why people get frustrated with the stall. You are watching and waiting every second for that digit to move one degree. Once I stopped the electronics I didn't have a stall anymore!

Firing up the smoker and cooking became more enjoyable for me after that and I get more satisfaction from the process now.
                        If I'm mowing lawn and I got the stick burner going all I need to do is glance at the exhaust to know if it needs any attention.

Now I understand people like their electronics and gadgetry and can be just as happy watching everything and have terrific results. For me I'd sooner buy a Wagyu brisket than the latest electronics. Either way lets keep the smoke rollin' and the meat flowin'!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          @Frozen Smoke
                          Agreed, brother!
                          No misunderstandin here, jus agreement re: simplicity, an tranquility.
                          If cookin ain't fun, yer doin it wrong!

• Danjohnston949
                          Danjohnston949 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Mr. Bones, I Agree Know Thy Cooker, Practice & Practice‼️ But I Want To Eat, Somthing Good Sooner or Later‼️ Good Thermometors
                          Help IMLTHOP‼️ Your Cuz❗️ Dan

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          @Danjohnston
                          Cuz, I agree, an concur wholeheartedly!
                          A good thermo is th single most useful tool any cook must have, flat out!
                          Learnin one's cooker(s) is essential, an a high quality thermo can make that process more approachable, an assimilable...

I concur. Meater is total fraud. Theft

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here