Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks Gateway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermoworks Gateway

Any success stories using the relatively new Gateway by Thermoworks with their Smoke unit? I already own a Smoke so I was thinking rather than buy a new Fireboard, try the Gateway first. However I don't seem to see much on the Gateway other than negative reviews!

I've heard some less-than-impressed stories and some positives, but no experience myself.

Here's a couple previous topics on it:
    So, enticed by the siren song of having my grill watched wherever I am in the house, I bought the gateway... Smoke is a GREAT product, but I'm having a LOT of problems getting this

Comment

I have also read some negative reviews on the Thermoworks Gateway.

I have also read some positive reviews too.
      Last edited by DWCowles; February 6, 2018, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I recently bought the Gateway. No problems setting it up with the Smoke and connecting to my Wi-Fi. Zero. Over the weekend I used it on my kettle (cooking chuck roasts). It never lost WiFi connection, and I could check on temps on my iPhone when I was away on a bike ride or out walking the dogs. Love the graphs. One prior use was to monitor my garage freezer cooling cycles for about a day and it worked great for that too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5200.png
Views:	364
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	450857

Name:	IMG_5211.png
Views:	309
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	450858

Name:	IMG_5153.png
Views:	319
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	450859

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to hear a positive story about the Smoke Gateway! I'm probably gonna take the plunge on one at some point. If I didn't already have the Smoke I would be looking at the Fireboard instead though, as you can get into that for less than the cost of Smoke + Gateway.

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris the graphs can be finger-tapped and a landscape graph will appear that you can pinch-zoom to see more details.

The Fireboard is pretty sweet!!

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s hard to beat the Fireboard for sure!

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          (greg), I'm in DW's Camp on the FireBoard‼️ To be Fair, I Have No Experience with the Gateway or the Smoke❗️ Dan

I've been using mine for a while now, and it performs very well. I just turn it on, and I can monitor the temps in my phone. Rock solid. I did have some issues setting it up, but once that was done it's been smooth sailing.

Comment

I have it and it works awesome for me.

Comment

After the initial setup, mine has worked surprisingly well. I have struggled with connected devices and the gateway has been good here-

Comment

You know, I'm gonna agree with Greg on the Fireboard, this is like computers. Do I upgrade my old 8088 machine to see if I can keep up with the Pentium X or do I just bite the bullet and get the newer and better machine? I own a Smoke and outside of having some probe issues, I think it's an accurate and well built piece of electronics. But with only 2 temperature probes max, it's quickly becoming the 8088 old technology of thermos. I talked with Thermoworks about that and they acted like nothing was really in the works to upgrade to multiple probes.

Sooo, I recommend you think long and hard about getting a Fireboard. I did and am thrilled with what it can do. Of course having said that, what's next? Will they solve the wireless probe once and for all? When will the Fireboard be obsolete? Only time and technology will tell....

Comment

I have a Smoke. No Gateway. The Smoke is awesome. As far as it being surpassed by something like the Fireboard-fine.
                Part of why the smoke is so great is that it is simple.

I also have a Flame Boss....100. Another simple but super accessory.

I am tempted to buy one of each and keep them until they are no longer made.

I am a huge fan of Keeping Things Simple-Especially grilling or smoking.

M.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I will get the Gateway, then sometime later or sooner, get the Fireboard too! I also would like to get a PartyQ for overnight cooks.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ...and a _______, and a ________, and a __________... Lol. This is how it all starts! Welcome to MCS.

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you end up with the fireboard it can control a fan with the addition of their drive cable and a fan.

PartyQ is still nice of you want an independent controller to go with a thermometer like the smoke.

I ordered one, couldn't get it to work, put in a drawer for a while, pulled it out, still couldn't get it to work, now am sending back to Thermoworks for a warranty exchange. Hopefully will have more success with a new unit.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry to hear that, TWorks is great about customer service though. Hopefully your new one will work like a champ.

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Indeed they are!

I want to chime in that I got a Smoke Gateway when it was on sale for $69 a couple of weeks ago, and cannot be more pleased. No setup issues, just following their quick start guide, and I've used it twice with success. The graphs and data are sorta cool to see, but it was more important to me to know what is going on when I am miles away from my smoker and out of range of the 300' wireless remote!

Comment

I love mine! Have no issues with the wifi connectivity, so no range limitations. Best feature for me is the graph that is automatically created on your phone and that can be converted to a spreadsheet for data analysis. I would recommend it.

Comment

Well, I want to chime in on my Smoke Gateway experience now, after several cooks since receiving it.

Setup and first cook - everything went smooth. Smoked a butt overnight, no issues, nice pretty graphs.

Second cook - I had a lot of trouble getting the app on my iPhone to connect to the gateway. The gateway was flashing blue every 5 seconds, indicating it was working properly, but the app would always show "No connection" on both channels, and I had to kill the app and restart it and eventually it would come back.

Third cook - more of the same. Once the Smoke Gateway lost the Wifi, and started flashing red instead of blue, and it was sitting 10 feet from the Smoke and about 10 feet from my wifi router - which was working just fine. I had to power the gateway off and on to get it to reconnect. AND I had a dozen times during the cook that I would look at the app, and it would say "No connection". Restarting the app and the gateway would not fix that.

All in all, I am starting to think that the cloud server that the Smoke Gateway runs its data through the cloud or something, and that it was having trouble the last 2 cooks in reaching the cloud server or something. Or at least the app on my phone was. It was very frustrating, and defeats the entire purpose I bought the gateway for - monitoring my cooks when beyond the range of the Smoke wireless remote, or when leaving the house for a bit. I ended up using my Smoke wireless remote, and just keeping an eye on things that way, since the app was not reliable.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here