Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weatherproof case hack for the Fireboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weatherproof case hack for the Fireboard

I'm a new Fireboard fanatic as of Christmas and cannot get enough of this unit. Those who have one know what I am talking about.

Well, I was looking to get a weatherproof case and, while Fireboard sells one, it costs about $55. I'm sure it's built as good as the unit itself, but I wanted a less expensive option, so I built one and thought I'd share what I made for those who might be looking for options.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireboard2.jpg
Views:	1491
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	435352

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireboard1.jpg
Views:	1389
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	435353

I constructed this case for less than $20 and it does the job.

Here's what you need:

1) Outdoor Products Small Watertight Box can be purchased from Wal-Mart for less than $6. (There is a large box if you want something bigger)

2) Plastic cable glands, which cost about $9 on Amazon

As you can see, there are nicely placed flat circles, one on each corner of both faces. I figured those were as good a place as any to make the holes for my cable glands. I used a step drill bit to make my holes.

The Fireboard unit attaches to the inside of the box using nothing more than heavy duty velcro. If I get the fan cable adapter then I'll just turn the Fireboard 90 degrees to give me more room and add another cable gland. I bought the small box but there is a large box if you want something more substantial but I wanted something compact. The box has a rubber loop that I use to hang the box from one of the utensil hooks on my kettle's handle. One can easily remove that rubber loop and attach something like a velcro strap if desired.

Not the fanciest or most clever hack out there but it is economical and it will keep the rain (or snow) off your Fireboard, AND the box is polycarbonate so if you drop it, you have some extra protection.

Todd

Good job.

Comment

Great job! I love homemade solutions.

Comment

Nice unit. I bought the case from Fireboard, and it works well but it is pretty pricey for a case.

Comment

Thanks for the tip

Comment

Great work! Thanks for the details!

Comment

Very cool, I love ideas like this!

Comment

Good idea Looks like this will work for the smoke units that I have, you can get the Plastic cable glands even cheaper on ebay sense you don't need 25 of them. I just bought some.

Comment

Nice

Comment

I lov e my firebird, but the weatherproof case they sell is meh. A pain to load and use. I have reverted to a ziplock bag.

Comment

• DWCowles
                      DWCowles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      +1 on the ziplock bag

Whoa, way cool, ColonialDawg ! Thanks for the info.

Comment

Love it. Looks great

Comment

I’m impressed, now if I only had a Fireboard

Comment

I use a high tech yet inexpensive ziplock bag. Works great!

Comment

ColonialDawg, I Have The FireBoard Water Resistant Case, Had I Been as Sharp as You I Might Not‼️
                            The Pics are Some Wild A-S Ideas for Probe Storage for the FireBoard and Maverick Temp Probes❓ My Design Perameters Were: Simple to Use and Fit in the FireBoard Box❗️
                            From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	436126Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	651.2 KB ID:	436123Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	436124

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	436125Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	436127Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.53 MB ID:	436128

My Favorite ShownBelow! All Available From Amazon! 6' Probes are Used‼️

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	436129Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.36 MB ID:	436130Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	436132
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Danjohnston949; January 7, 2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here