Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iCelsius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GREAT NEWS TODAY IT SHIPPED! 31 days after order but hey who's counting right?
    [email protected] [email protected] via yourhostingaccount.com
    12:34 PM (5 hours ago)
    to me

Your order#19905 was shipped

Comment

This thing is tracking to arrive today! Anyone care for an un boxing video or no?

Comment

Yeah let's see the unboxing! You've been keeping all of us in suspense for this long, show us that bad boy!

Comment

Okay,

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Got to say connecting to this directly was, as others have said here, a snap! I miss spoke in the video. In the direct connect mode the iCelcius is the access and you connect to it directly with your phone. It never sees your network.

Less that 3 min. I do need to connect this threw the web app still to see how that goes.

Watch this space.
            Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 22, 2014, 04:48 PM.

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Mail-gal....even with political correctness....resist the urge....resist I say...geeez how long you gonna fondle the cables!!! User manual in 0.00512 font...gotta love that...
            Last edited by Jerod Broussard; August 22, 2014, 06:04 PM.

So what do you think since you had the weekend to cook with it? I ordered two of these nearly two weeks ago, so they should show up in another 2 weeks (they said there was a 3 week lead time from order to shipping, and I figure another week for delivery). I really like the infrastructure mode that allows for remote monitoring with your phone with min/max temp alarms.

I also ordered the CyberQ Wifi this weekend after another frustrating day with my Vision Grill Classic B. It sounds like the Cyber will arrive first so I'll get to get a feel for it for a solid comparison with the iCelsius. I don't think the CyberQ has as robust or effective remote internet monitoring based on the material material I've read. I think it's limited to email alerts when the temp is too high/low, while the iCelsius has an alarm that goes off while the app is in the background (on Android phones anyway, damn iOS and no background processing). I might give the second iCelsius to my dad who is limited by his RF Maverick thermometer and tethered to his yard while cooking.

Comment

Well honestly I did not run this over the weekend and just now connected it remotely. I also plan to utilize the infrastructure mode and hope to do some testing with that once I get it out of remote and into that mode. Its a bit clunky for me still. But I'm toying with it as I type this.

So far only thing I don't like is the sensor connection. I think it needs a rubber band mod to hold it in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Christobol View Post
              So what do you think since you had the weekend to cook with it? I ordered two of these nearly two weeks ago, so they should show up in another 2 weeks (they said there was a 3 week lead time from order to shipping, and I figure another week for delivery). I really like the infrastructure mode that allows for remote monitoring with your phone with min/max temp alarms.

I also ordered the CyberQ Wifi this weekend after another frustrating day with my Vision Grill Classic B. It sounds like the Cyber will arrive first so I'll get to get a feel for it for a solid comparison with the iCelsius. I don't think the CyberQ has as robust or effective remote internet monitoring based on the material material I've read. I think it's limited to email alerts when the temp is too high/low, while the iCelsius has an alarm that goes off while the app is in the background (on Android phones anyway, damn iOS and no background processing). I might give the second iCelsius to my dad who is limited by his RF Maverick thermometer and tethered to his yard while cooking.

I use my CyberQ from the public Internet all the time, even when at home. I use the BBQ Remote app (free) to interface with it. Works great, but as you mention - it does not do audible alerting on temperature changes. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bbq-...658997593?mt=8

I tend to just look at the app from time to time since I'm constantly checking my phone anyway (yeah, I'm one of those IT guys). I've grown to trust my Kamado Joe and CyberQ enough that I don't feel like I need to watch it like a hawk. anymore

Comment

I've had this unit for maybe 6 weeks. Initially I had issues with the probes being detected on my HTC Android based phone. Luckily there was an Android update about a week after I got it that seemed to fix the issue. I am currently on Android version 4.4.2. There was never an issue with it connecting on our Apple devices but I use it primarily with my phone. There have been 2 or 3 updates to the iCelsius app over that last month that have improved the usability. For instance the temp alarm would not go off when the phone was sleeping, things like that. That has been corrected. Also my BBQ probes are 5 degrees too high so I have to account for that. Seems like there was a more expensive option for a "certified" probe but I figured I would save the $$. I did the ice water test and compared to the Thermapen which of course showed a perfect 32 while both the iCelsius probes showed 37 so be sure to check it. Other small things you may notice depending on your phone is that in my case my phone wanted to connect to my home router so the phone would disconnect from iCelsius and reconnect to my router. I have to make sure I manually disconnect from my router first before connecting to the iCelsius. All fun stuff to tinker with though!

Comment

I have to say I'm really not liking the way the probes connect. Thats a weak spot for sure. just sayin

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                    Jon Solberg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I can see my iCel covered in duct tape now. (staged funny photo coming soon)

It is a bit sad to have to put a rubber band on this thing. I'm not complaining but....

• Christobol
                    Christobol commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well now I'm half tempted to cancel my order, I don't like buying things that aren't well designed, especially since the price is a fair premium compared to other thermometers out there.

• Jon Solberg
                    Jon Solberg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well I will say that everything works as advertised other than what I mentioned. I feel these folks are new at the BBQ game and will need to ride a bit of a learning curve. That said I dont foresee them modifying their connection point anytime soon so I'm a rubber band away from TRUE wifi. I can live with that.

Well it's a good day to do some mods so I can finally drive this thing.

​The probe cables are a bit unwieldy so I added some shrink tubing about every 4" to get that under control a bit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1369.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	13912 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1371.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	13914

Name:	image_1370.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	13913

I knew that a rubber band was not going to work long to hold the probes in so I threw on a removable velcro strap.

Name:	image_1367.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	13910 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1366.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	13909 Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	13916

Going to check it against a mav and my partyQ and give it a run tomorrow.

Its not pretty but what the heck
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 30, 2014, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• SurfsUp
                    SurfsUp commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Man I can't figure out what you've got going on here... of course it could be the bourbon

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yup. Bourbon. lol...

Okay Surf Let me try and explain better.

The two cables on this are silicone covered and about 5' long. They seem to have a memory that wants to be coiled. Each one sort of going its own direction. To help avoid that I used shrink tube to marry them together for about 3 of the 5 feet.

The connector into the iCelcius unit is very micro USB like ( if not actually that) It is not very secure with those two 5' cable swinging off it. So I made up a strap using velcro to secure it. One that I can take on and off easily. A rubber band would have done the trick but it was raining and since I couldn't go out and trim bushes I made up the velcro strap.

Edit:

After some connection issues at go time its finally up and running.

Name:	photo 1-1.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	14255
                  Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 31, 2014, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• SurfsUp
                    SurfsUp commented
                    Editing a comment
                    All clear now... those cables are crazy. I am always untangling them But I do like the fact that they are long.
                    Last edited by SurfsUp; September 3, 2014, 03:15 PM.

That is sweet. I want one just for the graphs.

Which I could in turn post on the forum so people could see the cooking progression in the Pit Barrel....graph style.

Comment

• Christobol
                    Christobol commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I got my CyberQ Wifi installed this weekend and it's currently cooking a brisket. A third party app is doing the graphing of the temps and it's great. I still need to figure out how to export it, but i'll wait until the cook is done. With the iCelsius on the way I'm not sure I even need it anymore. It might have to go back, even though their app is much more refined than anything the CyberQ uses.

I have to say it has caused some challenges for me.

Comment

That's a very nifty setup. What were the challenges? and how did you solve them?

Comment

Please note these are just my observations. I do not intend them to be disparaging in any way

Challenge: Very unwieldy probe cables each one wanting to go its own way.

Solution: Used shrink tube to marry the two together to eliminate much of this. see above

Challenge: Poor connection point cables to ICel unit. NOTE:THIS IS MY PERCEPTION.

Solution: Velcro strap see above

Challenge: No way to tell which probe is which.

Solution: pending. Once I figure that out I will mark one with colored shrink tube.

Challenge: Could not connect via infra-structure or remote mode with iPad. Was able to during testing a.m. but could not connect at cook time.

Solution: pending. I believe this is an iPad issue. I need to do an os update. I connected directly to the unit for this cook.

Challenge: When using iPhone the display will not show 3 digits, example 224f reads 2..f. Temps are located below the main read out but very small.

Solution: Find my glasses. Seek out info on app setting???

Challenge: iCel unit is to heavy for my magnet thermometer bracket

Solution: pending Easy fix just not sure how I want to do this yet.
                      Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 31, 2014, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here