Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iCelsius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good info Jon. Keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

Another issue is the wait time for delivery. I bought the unit on 12-Aug and posted on the 14th that I was waiting for the unit and even jumped the gun and changed my sig. I received an order confirmation on 14-Aug and am still waiting for the delivery confirmation. In the meantime, I am reconsidering my purchase and am thinking of just going with the CyberQ, but I want to be able to receive up-dates to my cellphone from afar, like the days my wife springs a shopping trip on me in the middle of a cook.

Comment

• Christobol
        Christobol commented
        Editing a comment
        I ordered my first until a week before you, and was told 3 weeks. I had sent them an email on 8/1 asking if it's possible to mix 2 units with a total of 4 probes in a single app session and didn't get an answer until after I ordered the first until. So I ordered a second on the 13th. I have confirmations on both, but have yet to receive either and was told the second order wouldn't delay the first. I'm closing in on 4 weeks now....

I have my CyberQ and it's awesome, but I think having the iCelsius could help with my gas grill and the oven, and the second I plan on giving as a Christmas gift to either my dad or a brother.

Hopefully it shows up soon, sounds like they are making them to order in China...

The iCelsius is no longer in Meathead's thermometer review column. Is that due to a lack of product being available or are there issues with the unit?

Comment

Originally posted by bep35 View Post
        The iCelsius is no longer in Meathead's thermometer review column. Is that due to a lack of product being available or are there issues with the unit?
        It's here.

Comment

Howdy! Any thoughts re the iCelsius vs the Range?

Comment

Originally posted by brigitbinns View Post
            Howdy! Any thoughts re the iCelsius vs the Range?

I dont think the Range has a wireless do they. I think their cooking probes are for phone and pad connections. I could be wrong on that.

What model are you looking at BB
            Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 6, 2014, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Well....Finally received my iCelsius in the mail. I received a mailing confirmation on Monday and the unit arrived on Friday. A long wait for an order on-line. From time of order to delivery was 32 days.

Yes the cables are a little difficult to manage...They aren't clearly marked which one is probe 1 and probe 2 (I rubbed the end of the probe to see which temp went up and then marked probed one with a piece of white tape). The cables have a memory and was unable to place in the smoker without them moving all over. I finally put an alligator clip and held for a little and then had to add a second to keep the probe in place. Maybe after a couple of uses this will be corrected. I have a BGE and the cable is between the bowl and lid and after the cook the cable was flatten and I was concerned, but they recovered after about an hour.

The set up was actually very easy. I am not the most tech savoy person, but can still feel my way through the dark. I was concerned based on posts about the remote monitoring. I just went to the iCelsius site and watched the video in their support section. The video "How to configure to remote mode". Followed the directions and was monitoring the temps from my iPhone. Maybe 5 minutes of time to connect. So I can monitor my temps using local wifi from the iCelsius or from my home wifi that transmits to my iPhone. Either way was cool that I could monitor my temps from the living room or from my sons baseball game 5 miles away. All from my iPhone.

Just be careful when setting up the remote monitoring for your iPhone. During the set-up, you can decide on the frequency of up-dates sent to your phone. I chose every 10 minutes, but quickly found out that seems like an eternity to know your pit temps. On the iPhone you are unable to change this. I believe they have an update coming to their app to correct this.

I made a trial run just measuring ambient temperature to see how everything worked and had no issues. On Sunday I cooked pork ribs and went about 5 hours. I put one probe on one side of the grate and the other on the other side. I saw inconsistencies between the two, but each one wasn't exactly placed the same way. about 20deg. difference between the 2 probes. Also the probe temperature kept jumping from 209 to 280 back to 230, it seemed to take about 15 minutes to adjust, but during the initial start-up this could be devastating on the BGE with trying to adjust the temperature to 225deg. When it finally dialed in I was already at 245deg and needed to work to bring down the temp.

All in all, better than any thermometer I've had to date. Like any new toy there is always a feeling out time and trial and error.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here