Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thermometer fail !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thermometer fail !

my thermometer seems to not be reading my pit temp correctly during my cook, the pit temp seemed low on my thermometer so I messed with the wire on the probe and the temp jumped from 208 to 260 ! guess all I can do now is trust my pit...??? the brand of digital thermometer is famili, had good reviews on amazon so I bought it ( before I found this place) any suggestions on good dual probe thermometers is welcome

Smoke from Thermoworks, works great and the probes are durable. And you get a free probe if you buy now. Then again if you are looking to spend a little more you may want to check out the Fireboard thermometers, they have 2 and 4 probe units
    Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

Comment

Personally I've had better cost : performance ratios from Mavericks ET 732s than Smoke. But I'm probably in the minority, Smoke is a fan favorite with many.

Comment

Maverick 732/733, Thermoworks Smoke, or, my favorite, Fireboard all work really well. The Fireboard is my favorite due to the waterproof probes. But, I have a second use for them to help with my homebrew for measuring mash temperature.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Water proof probes!! One of the many advantages! Fireboard is the bomb.

Anything from Thermoworks should do you fine. I have the DOT and ChefAlarm no problems with either so far. marshall

Comment

My Maverick 732 has been bumped, smashed, crunched, sideswiped, punted, ground, and returned for 3 touchdowns on special teams and flagged once for intentional grounding. I keep wondering how it still works.

Full disclosure, I have not used the other ones.

i like the Maverick.

Comment

@marshall, I have both the maverick & the smoke. The smoke is easier to set up & both work but I prefer the smoke, I now have 2 of them & used all for the cook on the 4th of July did 6 racks of St. Louis ribs & 6 racks of beef back ribs 4 butts for puled pork & 5 chucks for pulled beef. Took me 5 days to recover afterward wont do it next year I'm just to old for that long of a cook.
            Last edited by Darchie03; July 16, 2017, 08:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thermoworks Smoke is a great option. Way easier to use than the Mavericks. More solidly built, better parts, better customer service etc. To me, the extra cost is worth it.

I also love my Fireboard. They are quite a bit more expensive but you also get a lot more. Cloud-based app, wireless connectivity, graphing, the unit is also expandable out to 6 probes. And word is, a controller fan is in the works as well.

Comment

marshall, I also have a Famili and had the same type of problem. I contacted the company and they sent me a replacement probe free of charge - haven't had another issue with it since...in fact, it's been really reliable - so it would be worth contacting them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here