Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I keep my Maverick probe wire from wrapping around my rotisserie? (humor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Willy - It's a little hard to visualize but ... the Earth rotates from West to East. When you're shooting toward the West, the bullet is no longer coupled to the earth and what is happening is that the West target is moving toward the bullet while the bullet moves toward the target (exact closing speed depends on latitude ... the effect is greatest at the equator). As a result, the bullet hits the target sooner than if the Earth wasn't rotating and therefore it doesn't have as much time to drop as far ... hence the up error. When shooting at an East target, the bullet takes longer to hit it because the target is moving away from the incoming bullet. The bullet has more time to drop ... hence the down error.

(sorry about the extra post but I once again got bit by the comment character limit)

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      I fully understand that (I wuz an engineer once). I just don't think that is the coriolis effect. It is instead simple dynamics.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Guest - Sorry, I didn't mean to underestimate you. Basically the bullet is obeying Newtons laws. When you observe its behavior from a rotating frame of reference (the earth, target, us) you perceive an apparent "force" acting on the bullet: coriolis (aka simple dynamics from a rotating ref frame).
      Last edited by MBMorgan; April 8, 2016, 10:00 PM.

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      @Mbmorgan--No apology necessary, I wasn't at all offended. I'm just need to get a grasp on what the coriolis effect really is. I may be dumb, but I am slow...

Actually, if you extend the spit outside the cook chamber and put the bearing outside you really could attach the sending unit to the shaft away from the heat. Just allow clearance for the lead entering the chamber.

Comment

You guys are over thinking this. Just unplug it ( you didn't say it needed to work )

Comment

When I hunt with my electromagnetic rail gun, the projectile at 24,000 fps doesn't have time to be affected by the earth's rotation. It is kind of a pain hauling that capacitor bank around, though.

Comment

@Mbmorgan: I finally took the time to "study" the Coriolis effect and learned the gun phenomenon is a subset of Coriolis effects called the "Eotvos" effect (the correct label includes umlauts over both "o"s). Ya learn something everyday--thanks for your comments. here's my source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriol...n_on_turntable

To me, it still seems like "simple dynamics"--the earth either rotating "up" toward you or "down" away from you, but the articles say I'm wrong (that's TWICE now!!! If I live another 30 years, odds are I'll make another mistake. LOL). In any case, I do grasp the fixed inertial frame for me (the shooter"), vs the actual rotating frame.

I do love Wiki!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here