Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat probe used as ambient probe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat probe used as ambient probe?

Assuming you have a grill clip, can a meat probe be used as an ambient grate temperature probe?

In my experience, yes it can.

Comment

Yup!

Comment

Yes, My Probe thermometer from Thermoworks, came with a clip, to use for oven temp.

Comment

Sure - just be careful that it doesn't poke ya.

Comment

Thanks guys. I figured as much, but appreciate the confirmation.

Comment

Without the clip you can cut a potato in half, so it can set flat on the grill, and then run your prob through the potato.
              Last edited by LA Pork Butt; November 26, 2021, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                I have done that in the past and ended up with a Hot Potato and crispy.

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Or you can ball up some tin foil.

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                Or poke the probe through an (empty) PBR can.

Probes sense temp, ain't particular concerned bout from where...

So, Yup, sez I...

Hi-Yo, Fahrenheit!!! :

°F = (9/5 × °C) + 32.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                Dr. Pepper commented
                Editing a comment
                So grateful for the Imperial system. It would be awful if our kids/grandkids had to learn 0ºC for freezing, 100ºC for boiling. And, 1 calorie to raise 1cc of H20 by 1ºC. Oh, and the whole 10mm per cm, 100 cm per meter, 1000 m per KM, etc.
                But......wait for it......Merica!

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                It all works fer me, Doc; I can live in both worlds.

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. Oorraahh!!

Prefers me receipts to be in Imperial, vs. Celsius, on accounta 60 yrs of familiarity...

Stuck in a rut, I'd havedta reckon, but soon to be Gone, due to th Ravages of Time...

Then, mebbe, (some) Folks can evolve.
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 26, 2021, 07:53 PM.

I actually think Huskee used his brisket as the "clip" for one of his meat probes to measure pit temp. At least that’s what I deduced from the picture he posted in the Bark Friday thread. Hadn’t seen that method before, but I dig it!

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                Dr. Pepper commented
                Editing a comment
                I should have done that yesterday. I had no room for an ambient probe in my 22" Weber with SNS, and a 10 lb spatchcocked turkey.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Yessir, good eye! I still use one on the grate too, but on a kettle there's only room way over to one side so I like to have one up top like I did so I get an average between the two.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here