Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting Board Mod. for Slicing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting Board Mod. for Slicing

Well, now that I have some bacon made and soon to be Pastrami the question came up, How to slice it relatively thin? So went out to my wood shop in the Garage with my cutting board in hand and routed a pocket on one side, Not perfect but in a pinch it works, may need to add something to keep the knife from riding up but tipping the blade toward the board like filleting a fish seems to work. How do you slice meats and such without getting a big slicer?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2584.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	131119 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2585.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	131121 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2586.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	131120 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2589.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	131118

That's an innovative solution ... might need to dust off my router when it warms up a bit more. Meanwhile, I'll still use a very sharp 12" schinkenmesser (long slicer) from Wusthof along with a glass of good Zinfandel to help steady the hand. If that doesn't work, a second glass will help ensure that I really don't care! 😀

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Waste not if thouest don't care not.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha, that's what I do to :-) A sharp knife gets the job done. Schinkenmesser literally means ham knife, so it sounds like you have the right tool for the job.

Love the innovation!

Comment

Powersmoke_80 That is a very good idea. I like it. Simple and practical. Kind of one of those "Why didn't I think of that" moments. Good to see the wheels of innovation are still turning in 2016, hahaha.
      When I am slicing, I use an Ultra sharp Shun slicer. That sucker can shave the air off a gnats back. But I like your idea. I may have to barrow that old mans router. Thanks for the cool idea. Happy New Year brother.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	img11o.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	131133

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I bought a Dexter slicer, inexpensive and its new so its sharp but we will see how it holds up. That is a beauty you have there.

Hmmm ... what about modding a cutting board to be much like an old fashioned mitre box?

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be a good idea!

• cfrazier77
        cfrazier77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great idea, this way we can get 45 degree cuts on our brisket! (:

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        That can only be used for cross grain cuts!Lol

How clever! You're one smart dude. I want you on my BBQ team!

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks,Lol. Its not as clever as the SnS but the wheels are always turning brother! As far as a team, that sounds cool. Thought it would be neat to do silver lake apple festival as I seen the area when we were camping over there last year(2015)a month before it but don't know what it is like. And did not make it over there to check it out like I wanted while it was going on. Any Idea how big it is?

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here