Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Misen Carbon Steel Pans

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Misen Carbon Steel Pans

    Last week I received my 10” and 12” Misen carbon steel pans. I have been really curious to try them out ever since I got my carbon steel wok. These are well made. Once seasoned, they are beautiful! I used the smaller one yesterday for eggs, and it was almost non-stick the first time I used it. They are very well balanced, weight-wise in between stainless steel and cast iron. I think I am going to love these.
    Attached Files

    #2
    I have a carbon steel flat-bottom wok that I love. Those look like they’ll last the rest of your life!

    Comment


      #3
      Seen the ads for them, good to see real life experiences.

      Comment


        #4
        I have never used a carbon steel pan. Just black iron, and clad. Is there an advantage, or something I need to be doing that I can't currently that these allow?

        Comment


        • Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Carbon steel also heats a bit more evenly than cast iron, I think. Also no worries about rust.

        • Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          The best way I can describe it is that it’s like having a nice stainless steel pan that doesn’t stick.

        • WI Bubba
          WI Bubba commented
          Editing a comment
          ^ What he said.
          All the nonstick of a well seasoned CI and the weight a SS pan. My 10" Matfer lives on my stove because if I put it the cabinet, I'd just have to take it out again tomorrow.

        #5
        I also have both of those pans and so far I love them.

        Comment


          #6
          Had an email, earlier today; apparently, they's a Misen sale...might wanna surf a bit, check it out...

          I can break from what I'm currently doin, at some point, an find th URL, if'n yall come up wit bupkis...

          Comment


            #7
            Sexy!

            An 8-inch pre seasoned carbon steel pan with lid for fast heating and serious searing. Tempered glass locks in steam as it turns more naturally nonstick.


            shop by dec 14th for 20% off MERRYMISEN is the code.
            Last edited by SheilaAnn; December 12, 2020, 04:31 PM.

            Comment


            • Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Many thanks fer th assist, Sister! Much appreciated!

              Workin on findin a pic fer yer BF, see what he has to say lol!

              I'll git back to ya, heehee!

            #8
            I've seen their ads but haven't bought one yet. I use mostly cast iron but this year I've found the need for a carbon steel pan for certain cooking applications. I'll probably buy one now with their discount code. If they are as well made as well their knives I know I'll be happy.

            UPDATE (Wow, 6 minutes from my post above - that sure took long, damn beer): OK, I bought the two pan set (10" and 12"). Normally $150, now $135. Enter the discount code and the price is $108.00 with free shipping.
            Last edited by 58limited; December 12, 2020, 07:13 PM.

            Comment


              #9
              Pans look nice but I swore off Misen after their knives kind of flopped. I’ve got their chefs knife and it was supposed to be a very hard alloy and super sharp for the money. Some metallurgy guy tested them and they failed to live up to what was advertised. Blades made in China with a very rough finish. Bottom line way over hyped but ok for the price.

              Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, just when I hear Misen it gives me pause. Hopefully the pans work well and give you years of service.

              Comment


              • ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                Editing a comment
                they had a bad batch shortly after the kickstarter launched, supposedly fixed quite a while ago.

              • Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea unfortunately I was in the kickstarter batch. I never went back to rectify, perhaps I should call them.

              • Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                These are sturdy, well made pans. They will be around for a long time.

              #10
              I have a Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pan I love.

              Looking at the Mises pan... is that a silicon handle? Plastic? Can it go in the oven?

              I have a couple of their knives and while they aren't the best you can get they are very solid for the price. Probably great for most standard home cooks. I would assume most of their pans are the same.

              Comment


              • mnavarre
                mnavarre commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe it's one of those silicon sleeves that can slide on and off.

              • Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Ditto on the Bourgeat, awesome pan.

              • Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes it is a silicone sleeve that can be removed. They are oven safe, yes.

              #11
              Thunder77 I just received my Made-in carbon steel wok yesterday. This things a brute. It's in the oven on it's first seasoning as I write this. I'm going to re-season it a few more times today and try it out this later this week. Because of it's depth and volume I can see using this for many things other than stir frying. Can't wait to use it out on the Weber over a raging pile of lump.

              I made a decision not to buy any more non-stick skillets. When my current ones wear out, I'm going to buy carbon steel to replace them.

              Last edited by Bkhuna; December 13, 2020, 07:41 AM.

              Comment

              Announcement

              Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              0
              Guest
              Guest
              500
              ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
              7